Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Homebuilt quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Gets my vote !

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

So awesome. Man, you're one of the guys around here that takes on some neat projects.

3. keep the tech rolling!

4. oj

oj

Nice work, this one keeps getting better.

5. Jiminy

Jiminy

Any update?

6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry no updates. I've been getting ready for winter, finishing little "honey do" jobs before the snow flies. I'll get back to it soon.....I hope.

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Man.. I just got bit with the "mill bug" and seeing this back up isn't making it any easier for me.

Can't wait to see your next updates.

8. 55willys

55willys

Thanks for the tech and pics. This should help when I build a champ style out of a 3/4 ton rear.

9. kennkat

kennkat

"A bit more to add today. I machined the shaft and test fit everything again....it's going in the right direction I think."

:eek::eek::eek: Really?? :eek::eek::eek: Ya Think so??? :):):) Hell yes it is!! :):):) Simply a "Backyard work of ART!!" ,
    In my tired ass, old as dirt opinion :D:D:D

Outback and volvobrynk like this.
  10. b-rod10

b-rod10

Great thread. Ive been inspired to try this. Keep us posted

11. b-rod10

b-rod10

Well I've started laying out my rear end. I have a dumb question what gears were in your banjo. & Did you reuse the old gears. / What gears are you useing in the qc

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got 3.78:1 ? gears and the change gears I have will give me about 3.5 high and a 4.1 low. I'm using original gears.

13. b-rod10

b-rod10

Right on. Just rounding up some parts. Ill have to give it a try whats it going to hurt

14. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I would say that you are one very smart feller, thanks for sharing your imagination and skills,great ideas always keep me indriged, suscribed

15. racemad55

racemad55

How did you do the pressure angle on your splines,15degrees ? Make 2 extra cuts in each spline? beautiful work by the way.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Very nice tech article.Great fab skills.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made all my cuts with a carbide 5/16 2 flute end mill. I found a centerline and with the cutter @ 90 I went up half the width of the spline and made light cuts till I got the right depth then went to the other side of the shaft and did the same thing. The splines are straight . the gaps are 60 degree. I cleaned out the center with a 3/16 cutter to take down the center ridge .

My lingo may not be correct I'm a self taught home machinist....I've ruined a lot of metal getting to here.

Outback likes this.
  18. b-rod10

b-rod10

Any progress?

19. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bit ashamed to say that I haven't accomplished anything lately. I got a new pinion bearing and pressed and torqued it into place. Other than that not much new. Still dreaming up a design for a rear cover that I like. The other one didn't float my boat.

20. b-rod10

b-rod10

I've been working on my qc. Pictures in my album. Was wonder If you had any pictures of your drive yolk or pic of what you were useing or planing on useing.I'm planing on welding the coupling in to a yolk I machined to acept the coupling.

21. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

To the fellow that commented on winters units having a steel ring gear backload bolt,yes the bolt is steel but there is a bronze "cap"on the end of the bolt so you don't have steel rubbing on the back of the ring gear..."Jethro ,Awsome work,are you considering selling a "kit " of parts for do at home guys?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Outback likes this.
  22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx for bringing this back. I want to see the finished product. Hint, hint!

23. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya. i haven't given up on it, just real slow progress. I'm making up a pattern for the rear cover/housing and keep running into design issues. I've never made a foundry pattern before so I want to get it right.....and I'm slow( not challenged just taking too damn long)
    King ford......I may come up with something like that in the future , maybe my retirement job.

24. Alger

Alger
    from Sacto

Hey Jethro, any updates on the quick change?

Matt in Sacto

25. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy CRAP! it's been a year since I pushed this thing into the corner....no progress to report...where has the time gone?

26. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Jethro,
    Thanks for showing us your work. You have inspired me to attempt my own quick change. One question....Where did you find the Air Liquide "magic" welding rods? Ive scoured the net and can't for the life of me find them. Any
    help would be greatly appreciated!!

27. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked it up at a welding supply place ...I was told later that it is some kind of stainless alloy but not sure what the composition is......I'm afraid I'm not much help......good luck with the QC project....keep us in the loop , let us know how it goes!

28. allwilly

allwilly

It's called missile weld...don't remember the alloy but I will try n find it n post it