Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting a car without clear coat?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by jonathan6492, Feb 26, 2015.

1. jonathan6492

jonathan6492

I found a ppg paint that's lamp black, it says it's a tinted paint. I sprayed a couple of test panels and it came out like a flat back, it was real nice. I want to use it to paint my truck but I was wondering if I could paint it without clearcoat and just throw like 5 coats of the black on the truck? I know there is clear that makes it look flat black but I really don't wanna spend any money. I'm not going for a professional look either just something kinda nice you know? And if I do paint it, how long would the paint last before it starts looking ugly?

2. Lamp black is a tinting medium so it's going to have to have a clear coat unless you want the finish to start deteriorating fast like primer does.

I would suggest using something like Kirker S.G, black or PPG hot rod black for longevity.

This is Kirker on my old Deuce pickup and at the time of the photo the paint was 6 years old. HRP

[​IMG]

3. jonathan6492

jonathan6492

Damnnnnnn, that's nice but okay I'll keep that in mind