Register now to get rid of these ads!

Padded top, Carson top BUILD PHOTOS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfrolka, Nov 5, 2010.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

Im looking to see more in-depth pics of the header, a-pillar mods, rear deck... Im looking into doing a padded carson style top for my 51 merc and need some others insight and ideas.

The search on here is just giving more overall profile pics of the top not the details.

Afterall it has to look just as good with the top off!!! :eek:

2. jfrolka

jfrolka

Morning crowd bump

3. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

FIRST OFF! Gaylord was the original builder of those tops till the Carson bros stole his designs, so in theory it would be a "GAYLORD TOP"! Just kidding, call it what you want but this info may help in your search.

4. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

check out rikster site

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you dedicated to the original design or do you want it to look the part without it taking 3-4 guys to get it off of there? Many of them had a headliner to cover the construction. They were made of 1/4" strap steel, chicken wire, and wooden bows to tack on the material. The Chicken wire was padded with cotton and a top cut and sewn to fit. Today, one could easily get the look with some 3/4 EMT (conduit) and simple electrician's "hickey" to get the bends and shapes then fab up some simple bows from hardwood to carry the top mat'l. A few years ago someone inquired about a carson top and we'd found a complete story and even a "how-to" online somewhere. Sadly the guy who retired took it with him (the stuff we printed) but it is at least out there somewhere in cyberspace.

6. Perhaps this one? I have it in Peterson's HotRod Yearbook # 14 from 1974.

Attached Files:

7. jfrolka

jfrolka

Lancespeed I saw your posts about gaylord and searched a lot on gaylord padded tops. I got the feel for the tops original construction and look but my main concern is the body of the car and how that should look so when I do remove the padded top it also looks just as good. I don't want a big nasty channel ya know? Some pics of the deck area and door tops is what I am after. I really don't want to just cap them flat! Gotta be some better ways

8. jfrolka

jfrolka

The R&C article of the 51 is great. I guess what im after now is a close up of a convertible a pillar of a 49-51 merc. Thanks for the link!!

9. Do a search on here for tylerdurben carson topped '50 Ford. Tons of step by step pics.

10. jfrolka

jfrolka

Ya I have been following his build

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

NOT! The Carson Top was named after Amos (Happy) Carson. Who opened The Carson Top Shop in 1927 in L A. Glen Houser was employed with him in 1930. In 1935, Glen designed the Lift off non folding top for a 30 Model A Cabriolet. Thus the Carson top was born. Buisness boomed. Amos died in 42 willing the shop to Glen. Bob(Glens son) started working in the shop ion 48. Glen died in 69, thus willing the shop to Bob. I would LOVE to see a pic of that Model A.

Eric H likes this.
  12. F&J

F&J

I did some searches myself a few weeks ago, and I never did find pics of the rear deck "shelf".

So, I am just going to wing it I guess.

Maybe someone will spot this thread and put up some pics

13. jfrolka

jfrolka

I gotta hit some shows to see if anything is on hand to look at. My fuckin luck there was a cruise night down the street from my house and as I walked down there was a nice 51 merc with a white carson top leaving... woulda been perfect timing to see how that guy went about it... FML

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

here is a good shot of what they did for this 41 merc... I think if the deck is brought in more towards the back seat it will look more appropriate on any carson top'd car... the shelf area seems to be only good for speakers and upholstery not really left wide open especially for when the padded top is left off...

Attached Files:

15. tinguy

tinguy

Try Rikster's site--look under Paul Bragg--51 Mercury and 51 Ford convertibles. Construction photos, both tops have correct seam placement for Carsons, but more Gaylord style and shape. Hope this is helpful.
    Tinguy--See Ya!!!

16. jfrolka

jfrolka

The pics of the ford with the padded top showed me a lot of things I was curious about. I think I will use something similar for the horizontal pin&spring to lock in the back and keep it unseen.. Thanks Paul!!

17. Here is a 1949 we are doing right now. Check out my post about 49 merc 4dr to 2dr carson top.

Rick Erickson of Extreme Kustoms

Attached Files:

18. jfrolka

jfrolka

heres what im going to do... extend deck from the trunk top in about 2' and build a carson top with this profile and a shoebox rear window

Attached Files:

19. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Came off the web somewhere.Good reference

Ranchero59 likes this.