Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ox Blood Primered Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

First it was black then grey primered Hot Rods. Now let's see some Ox blood primered Hot Rods.
    scan0018-2.jpg

40mel likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As I recall, it is "Red Oxide" primer. The only thing I remember seeing in the '50s/early '60s.

Nice Wiilys!

Ray

3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I seem to recall reading an article in Hot Rod years ago about Eastwood & Barakat 32' sedan being painted in ox blood primer but it was a long time ago so I could be wrong.o_O

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You may very well have read that. People call the same things by different names, especially regionally. Maybe different manufacturers had other names for their same/similar product.

DuPont called theirs "Red Oxide". It's not my intention to make any sort of issue of the name of the primer color........it was just a slow Sunday night, I was on the HAMB, saw your post and it jogged my memory. :)

Hope others see this thread and add some cool pics from back in the day.

Ray

5. Hotrodmyk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Bump for the day shift.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ox blood? never heard it called that before
    we knew it as red oxide or red lead
    the pedal car in my avatar is shot with X-O RUST red farm and implement, does that count?

falcongeorge, lothiandon1940 and X38 like this.
  8. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

9. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

I didn't think mine was Ox blood, but kinda similar to that 32
    IMG_1077.JPG

Hotrodmyk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Red primer. Many shades due to mix & maker, and probably as many monikers. We just called it 'red primer' around here. Originally it was a 'work in progress' look, just to get something on the road initially. Since then, it's become a finished, finish. I always kinda liked it.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  11. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

12. Red primer is what I remember.

This photo was taken in the mid 70's. HRP

[​IMG]

slowmotion and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This my old heap, 26 T modified. My plan 8 years ago was to shoot primer run it for a year to work the bugs out of it and then paint it red. First show out of the gate(2007 rod and custom americruse) Rod and custom found me and shot pictures, long story short it ended up on the cover. Then the next show I win the teriffic T and a streetrodder top 100. So if its good enuff in primer for to magazines then thats the way its going to stay. IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

BradinNC, da34guy, slowmotion and 3 others like this.
  14. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

That would be cool in any color.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. You got that right! HRP

16. Pretty shiny for primer? What brand is it? Neat car!

17. Exactly what I thought. Have you been waxing the primer or something to get that sheen?

18. Oxblood is for the inside. Red Oxide for the outside.:D th.jpg

falcongeorge, X38, da34guy and 3 others like this.
  19. Red Lead baby. my favorite of all primers for a jalopy. :cool:

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Great period pic HRP, of you & the missus. That's exactly how I remember the 70s. We most likely would have run in the same circles. :D

21. ...always liked red oxide primer, here's a shot of a 38 I had years back... my cars 005.jpg

Hnstray likes this.
  22. 40mel

40mel
    from SoCal

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool T, but I have seen top coats with less shine. So what's the secret to getting primer to glow?

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Its ppg dp74 red oxide. When the painter shot the last coat he told me that he added more thinner/reducer for a shiner top coat. Plus 8 years of waxing must have something to do with it.

25. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Kewi Kev's nasty habit makes red oxide look great , that's his signature color !

26. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I've heard of red oxide primer a lot and ox blood color in leather products like shoes and belts.

27. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I remember buying a gallon of red oxide primer at the local farm store for around $12. I painted my 35 Dodge sedan the red oxide because most of it didn't have any paint on it. I was pretty mad, right out of the can with a 3" brush, the stuff had a shine! The body was so rough I was hoping for a much more flat finish to help hide the patched up body.
    After painting the coupe, I still had a lot left in the gallon. I had thrown together an old Dodge truck so I brush painted that as well. It had a shine too! I think I even painted something else from that 1 gallon.
    That old red oxide primer held up to the midwest weather really well. I think I brushed a second coat (over top of the first) on the old Dodge truck a few years later (probably the same gallon!) The pictures of the sedan are probably long gone, but I still have a picture of the old Dodge. This picture is about 3 years after the 2nd coat. I was getting ready to make a transformation to the truck. The blue around the windshield is an indication of what was to come. The bare spots on the fender are from where the 6 year old primer had come off the fender. That was the condition of the sheet metal under the red oxide primer, unfortunately, not all the sheet metal was that good! Gene

Attached Files:

28. Thanks man,I appreciate it.

BTW,this truck is responsible for the moniker HOTRODPRIMER being bestowed on me. HRP

29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sedan I had... *clic pic larger image* 29 sedan almost 003.JPG 29 sedan almost 007.JPG