Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Our 55 then & now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flux capacitor, Dec 28, 2014.

1. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

In 1984 a family friend told us of a 55 that would come to be a family member itself. 100% in house family project. 1984 pics image.jpg image.jpg
    In the woods! Notice the raised wheel wells. image.jpg
    As we got her! 327 Muncie m21 4:10's. Missing about everything , ruff n rusty.
    image.jpg
    When dad got out The steering wheel came off!!! I was behind him in our 66 c20 chevy.
    image.jpg
    Apart she came. My 69 z28/rs x33 in background fixing leaf springs. Still got her.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Dad blasting frame
    image.jpg I prepped & sealed it w DuPont Velva-seal.
    image.jpg
    A horrible before we got it pic! All came out , pulled n fixed damage properly .
    image.jpg
    My uncle did 100% of the body work as I was then 12 & learning from him. I did most the engine , trans, under hood smalls , etc at that age in our garage / machine shop. Learning from his oldest son, our machine shop guru. Who carried out 1/2 the build in almost every area with his pop.
    image.jpg
    The rockers, floors , braces , lower quarters , r valence, headlight eyebrows were all cut clean out n new dan chuck metal installed. I spent quite a few weekends at salvage yard drilling out spot welds from floor braces .
    image.jpg
    Progress.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Next block & prime with good ol DuPont 181s fill & sand ...man I miss that stuff.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    My uncle Joe . Was a Great man. Taught many of us young n's at the time all what we know about old cars. Now we're bumping their age. A true master craftsman. He deserves all the credit & made this build possible he loved the hobby.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Love that lacquer! Great for a dusty shop!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I'm still looking for a lost roll if undeveloped film!!!!! From 1991
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    A dream come true for all of us! 350 gm crate , th400 narrowed 9 inch, 4 wheel discs , ps/pb, ac , tilt , cruise , pwr windows. Tinted glass, gypsy n shoreline beige. 1991 , drove it to super chevy Memphis got top 5 , drove regularly & NEVER ever trailered.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Parked next to 57 gasser of dads , a friend sold him
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Another story in itself.
    image.jpg
    Put Cragar's on in mid 90's 15x6 & 15x8-1/2 pulled 9 inch & narrowed it some more. This pic from 2013 NSRA Springfield , Mo. ... The end? or better yet with the next gen of kids coming up ... A new beginning!
    Better get back on the ol 53 150 project. Thanks to all!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Great car, and an even greater story.

3. Really cool. The 55 Chevy with it's fresh new look and lightweight V8 reset the hot rod world.

4. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Very sweet '55 (& '57). Luv those old shop/build pics.

6. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Thank you all for the kind comments! It's the only tri five we've kept, scaling down do to age & upkeep. They really are amazing cars to drive, gm knocked out of the park these 3 years!. Dad sold the 57 last summer, since we didn't build all if it just mechanicals for his pal it was less sentimental. We will always keep the 55. I loved them both but the memories can't be bought. It's more than an old car, it's a group of 4 guys working on her as a labor of love to resurrect one back from the too far gone point. Many folks would've passed on this one. Thanks again guys! Flux

7. Great build, sure liked the old pictures. A project to be proud of.

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Great pics & a great-looking ride . My friend & I restored his 55 BelAir HT together a buncha years back - did most of the stuff ourselves over about 4 years . It was a great time & it turned out beautiful . He had to sell it over a divorce a couple years ago . That sucked for him , I'm 100% sure , but he needed money to put towards a house .

9. I love to see the build photos of a car that has become a part of the family,,great looking car! HRP

10. cavman

cavman

Nice car, great story. Well done!

Tell who ever the service ribbon represents in the last photo, Welcome Home!

Zapato likes this.
  11. Beautiful. Reminds me so much of my old '55. Was a gypsy/ivory belair hardtop, v8,glide with factory power windows. Wheel wells were cut out much more crudely though. I sold it to my Dad when I first got married. He sold it a bit after that. It was sooo close to being done. Jambs painted, body ready for final block, full new interior in boxes.. Dad already had a 57 and decided he didn't need both so similar. Somebody stepped into an easy to finish project.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Great story. Everyone should be lucky enough to has a Uncle Joe in there family.

flux capacitor likes this.
  13. All the time and labor have paid off. I really like the color.

14. Great story and car...cherish both.

15. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

That's how come we got 57 sad deal but our pal insisted it go to us. Thanks

16. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Thank you! I'm proud of all our veterans that's my dad & it's his dream car & I'm proud he's my pop, drafted Nov 68 served in 101st in Vietnam. I can't say thanks enough to all. I love the HAMB!

cavman likes this.
  17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Looks 110 percent better with cragars. Thanks for sharing.

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Agree with the others....pretty tough to beat that story and that car.
    Good for you.

19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

The many wonderful things you guys have said, made us feel so good! I showed some of the family & they love it! Feel like I wrote just a mini car autobiography or rather picture book. Nothing like a happy ending. Kinda think we all like digging through our old shoeboxes full of car pictures. Even when they're about an old but not forgotten shoebox.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014