Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original rear end in 59 Apache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Hale, Aug 24, 2012.

1. squirrel

squirrel

by 1976, they were using drastically low (numerical) gear ratios to help with mileage.

I once had a 79 monte carlo rear with 2.29 gears

ON the bolt pattern thing....I don't know of any 5" bolt pattern front brakes for the old trucks.

2. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

Jim, I think 1976 was the transition year...so unless I'm completely wrong, we're both right. The 1965-1976 axles represent one batch and the 1976+ represent the bastard axles you are talking about.

4. squirrel

squirrel

77 was the transition year for the big cars. 65-70, 71-76, 77-89(?)

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Damnit, foiled again. Well, I figured one of us was right... I really can't imagine running anything higher than 2.73 in a respectable hot rod.

6. squirrel

squirrel

with a granny low gear, it might be ok :)

7. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Thanks guys. I am enlightened daily.

He has a lot of old cars and trucks out in Jal so I will take a notepad with things you've told me to look for and see what I can scrounge up!

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Eric, what measurement are you looking for? Remember that you have to account for correct backspacing so knowing which wheels you want to use and measuring them before picking an axle really helps...ask me how I know.

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

That looks great!

10. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Im not sure the measurement on the original yet, but hopefully will get it measured up tomorrow afternoon if we get off early enough. I would actually like a rearend just a bit more narrow than stock.

11. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Camaro, narrower than stock, easy to get decent ratios. And 99% of what you can come up with will be wrong bolt pattern anyway.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. Buzznut

Buzznut

The Caprice posi rear axle I mentioned above was also purposed for the '83 Z28...according to the Hollander interchange. I had an '84 H.O. IROC Z28 when I was in college, and I'm guessing it had this rear end because it ran like a stripped ass ape and swapped ends like nobodys business on slick surfaces.

13. squirrel

squirrel

83 camaro has a torque arm, Caprice does not...????

14. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

He also has a 1980 camaro rearend. I am really just looking for something that is a good width and is easy to modify, perhaps adding a posi. Im never going to have more than 350 horsepower in this thing.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Check out the 80 camaro rear, that would be a good candidate. Beware that the axles ride in the roller wheel bearings (like the original 59 truck rear), and they do tend to wear out...so if you can't inspect it, don't pay too much, or at least be prepared to spend a little money fixing it.

also check the ratio, see if it's reasonable.

16. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

I will definitely look it over! He is going to drop a 454 in the camaro and bracket-race it, has a 12 bolt ready to go...all we need to do is get some time and tear that rearend out. Squirrel, what range of rearend gear ratios do you think would be good for my current engine/transmission configuration if I want to drive it on the highway a lot? 3.08 sound about right?

17. squirrel

squirrel

350 engine and 4 speed trans? yeah, that's probably a good compromise. 2.73 to 3.36 would be reasonable. Lower numbers you lose off the line acceleration, but gain lower rpm at highway speed. And vice versa.

18. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Eric I bet that rear is a 3.08, you should grab it if it's available.

19. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Thanks, gentlemen. If it doesnt look too "dodgy" (to borrow a favorite term from the brits), I am going to nab it.

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

I thought it was an option on the Caprice meaning that they came either with or without the provisional mounts, but I could be wrong. Does that matter on how you reuse it...couldn't you just omit the torque arm? I'm asking because I've never used an axle that had one. Hey, wouldn't the torque arm be a good thing to keep? Or is it only a benefit with coil springs?

I agree, the 80 rear axle sounds like a good choice.

21. squirrel

squirrel

The camaro suspension only has lower arms, nothing to keep the rear from twisting. The caprice is a 4 link setup, afaik.

Also the 82-up camaro had the 7.5" rear, I think the Caprice had the 8.5 in all of them...midsize GMs got the 7.5 starting in 78.

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

Jim, I'm going to stop asking my buddy at the dismantler yard to cross parts for me in his Hollander interchange and just ask you from now on. I'm amazed at all the misinformation I've gotten from him compared to what you're telling me. I'm glad he was right about the Caprice rear end I have, but relieved that I didn't rely on his info and used a Camaro rear axle instead.

While we're on this topic, what would be the best method (apart from a 4-link or anything too complicated or overly expensive) to reduce the twisting on a leaf sprung axle on our trucks? Caltraks, a snubber?...

23. squirrel

squirrel

Probably caltracs. you can make your own for about half the cost of buying them.

24. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Just a quick update: I have 15/6 steels on the way and will be ordering my whitewall radials this weekend! Im gonna get this thing up and running, operating to a level that I can drive it legally, then tear it all apart and update the running gear, brakes, add air-conditioning etc. Im afraid it is gonna be an "around-town" truck for a while with those 3.90 gears in the rear!

25. squirrel

squirrel

My son comes to visit every now and then in his 59, it's all stock. 65 mph on the highway isn't too bad.

26. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

That is good to hear. Grandma and Granddad finally found a restored '57 two-door hardtop belair exactly like the one he bought new when he was 19, so we've been busy working out the details of getting it from California to Texas. I have to get this '59 going quick so we can do the car-show thing together!

27. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

It's not bad, it will give you a future project. You will probably realize you font want to roll down the high way much faster than that anyway :)

28. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Love the new pic in your avatar, man! Your truck is sicker than the west-nile virus. I might have to find me a fleetside next.

29. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Someone's got two beds for sale in the classifieds now, and easy with the west Nile stuff, I never had Mosquitos for 6 years at my place til they started spraying everywhere else. If I didn't know any better I say TX will kill ya! Heat stroke in the day, then once it cools down the vampires come out!

30. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

I hear you man! We had three or four people die here in the drylands out west from those damned mosquitos. Scary stuff!