Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original rear end in 59 Apache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Hale, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Yeah Im trying to find that conversion table now...Im thinking I may just throw L-78-15s all around. Id like to run something smaller on the front, but I dont seem to see anything smaller that would work on my 8 inch rims. Should have gotten 7s or 6s for the front. Damn.

2. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Here's a decent one that I found with google shows all the listings, number to letters to metric. Do the conversion and then , I think tire rack has the actual dimension in inches for the metric sizes.
    http://chevellestuff.net/tech/tires.htm

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. James Curl

James Curl

The three speed overdrive transmissions installed in some of the 55/58 Chevy pick ups came with 4.11:1 rear gears. I have an overdrive transmission in my 55 with the stock three speed rear end which is 3.90:1 ratio and in o.d. it struggles a little but I am running a 235 cu in I/6.

4. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

I may just send these bad boys back and have em send me some 7's.

Had I been on here chatting with yall when I ordered them I wouldnt have made as many dumbass moves on this build as I have! This place is the damned Encyclopedia Britannica for hot rodding.

7. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

What would be a good sized bias-ply for a 15/8 wheel?

8. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

If swapping the rims to a narrower width is possible I would do it for the fronts. Do you have power steering on your truck? Those L's are bigger than the stock size I believe, and like I said before are pushing it on clearance with the 4" drop (not rubbing)
    If you weren't all the way in west tx, I would say come drive it and see what you think

9. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Oh yea, I may be able to hook you up with a seat let me see what we got around

10. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Thanks! I may just send the front two back and get the 7s and keep the 8s for the back...oh no, no power steering whatsoever. Pretty much everything on it at the moment is stock besides the crate engine and the drop.

If you could find a seat, I would certainly appreciate it. How many inches is your pickup dropped?

11. squirrel

squirrel

L60-15 if it's on the back, G60-15 if it's on the front.

It'll look like a hot rod, not a cruiser

12. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Oh...nvmd. I see that you said yours was down 4" too.

Im kind of at the spot you were though, I just want to get some rollers on it with some whitewalls and start working on the rest of it. Wheels and tires help to give a car/truck a "look" more than most anything else, and I think once I see where Im headed (and get rid of the godawful 1970s spoke rims my uncle had on it) I think Ill be inspired to really tear into this thing.

And spend money. Lots of it.

13. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Thanks, squirrel. I am really going for a "hot rod" look, so Ill look into those sizes. I am debating exhaust now...grandad promptly cut through the steps and ran some galvanized steel stacks up right after he bought it (no mufflers)....can you imagine the noise? My uncle had some shorter, chrome, slash-cut stacks on it when he drove it, I think it looked kinda cool.

But Ill probably be boring and run full exhaust all the way to the rear.

14. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Hell yeah, I think my truck is the only one I've ever found laid up without the cool white spokes (mostly rust), I think there's about two sets of those laying around here :)
    I don't blame you for loosing some of the flash and dulling it down with plain exhaust.

15. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

How does yours drive with those bias plys? Do you have power steering?

16. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

I won't run this small block forever, just till I get the bugs out of everything and begin really tearing the truck apart for sandblasting, paint, etc.

Im looking at buying a 348 from a customer of mine...I love the way those sob's look! I really want a "different" engine for it, and something period-specific.

17. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I still have my 235, I don't have a problem with the 6, I've had fast cars and will build more but this is what I want a from this truck. People ask if I will do a V8 and I say if the right 348/409 comes along. I don't have pwr steering. Other than the drop it's rock stock. I was asking because fat tires = more work! Funny I noticed you commented on the wheel color. I told my daughter to pick something I didn't care what to paint these wheels. Got that at Walmart for like $2 a can clearance. Only thing sucks is now everyone expects to see that color and I don't have touch up!

18. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Well she has impeccable taste! I think Im gonna go ahead and wrap these 8's in tires like yours for the time being. Im impatient.

I love inline chevrolet engines, we have a 69 jeep pickup with a 292...that thing will.not.quit. Torque monster!

You got a three speed on the column in your pickup?

19. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Yes 3spd on the column, on the bias plys anyone will tell you they walk around/hunt some but I haven't tried to make my 58 ride/handle like a new truck doesnt bother me. But my daily is a jeep on 35's with front and rear lockers so I don't require much perfection in the handling dept :)

20. squirrel

squirrel

radials make them go straight down the road, mostly. I switched over about 30 years ago.

21. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

^^^right, unless that particular tire is a must have at least do your homework and consider the radials. Squirrel saw your IPod add, I need to do the same my radio delete plate doesn't do much more than look interesting

22. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Hey, gents! I'm thinking about running 235/75s on 15/8 on the back and 225/75 on 15/6 on the front. Opinions?

23. squirrel

squirrel

that size tire on an 8" wheel on the back of a truck will look dorky. the tread will be way narrower than the wheel.

24. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

That's what I was afraid of. I may have scored a whole set of 15/6.5 steels though. Keeping fingers crossed that they aren't beyond salvation.

25. junkman-d

junkman-d

We installed a 95 4runner rear axle in my brothers 59 Suburban 323 gears 235 6cyl. 3 speed cruises 60-65 mph all day long. It has 8" wheels and stock rear was rubbing q-panel. Toyota rear was about 4" narrower. If you find a isuzu rodeo some years have dana 44 disk brakes.

26. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Thanks junkman! Good info!

27. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

Have yall ever put a 700-r4 into one of these things? I am seriously considering it.

28. That also has the same six lug pattern as a Chevy, doesn't it?

29. squirrel

squirrel

I haen't but lots of guys have...like with any automatic swap in one of these trucks, you need to consider changing the engine mounts, adding a rear trans crossmember, shifter, trans cooler, TV cable and brackets, and driveshaft modifications.

30. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'd go with the A833 overdrive manual trans that Squirrel mentioned, especially with the rear end gears you have. It's a MOPAR 4-speed that's been modified so 4th is O.D, and made specifically for Chevrolet/GMC trucks. It's tough enough. I'd stay away from the early Muncie 319 overdrive; just too weak for a truck with 350 HP. The other thing on the trans; the bellhousing hole may be different than the throwout bearing collar. If it's too big (the collar), it can be turned down to fit; if it's too small (the collar), they make an adapter ring. As already mentioned, on Chevy/GMC trucks, the two lower trans bolts are threaded from the bell housing side into the trans ears, while the top two thread into the bellhousing. Who knows why they did that with trucks (?????). I'd love a 55-59 Chevrolet truck; good luck with yours. Butch/56sedandelivery.