Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original '40 Merc. Southern California Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 Barn Car, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Z
    thanks.
    Al.

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Good lord she's pretty!!! I love EVERYTHING about it!!!!

3. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

thats a nice looking Mercury.

4. old beet

old beet

I looked at the Merc this AM, Spot ON!!!!...But that 5W is a jawdropper!

5. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

That Merc is incredible. Love it. and the 5W is killer.

6. blackout

blackout

That Merc is fine.

7. Payaso

Payaso

Stood there yesterday morning at VooDoo and smiled...for a LONG time...Thank You to whomever brought out to Voodoo!! I tried to track you down...but could not get a hold of you...Next time!!

Beatiful Car!!!

8. yblock292

yblock292

9. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

10. It's beautiful, wish my 39 Merc coupe was in the same condition.

11. DITTO ! Those '41 Studebaker Taillights are tits.....................

Johnnie.

12. Fu*K !!!!!!! THis car is almost perfect!!!!! I just wish the front end was up about 2 inches!!! I love this Kustom!!

13. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

You know Jeff...I was very tempted to write exactly the same thing days ago.It is very visible on this pic.It would be great if we could convince the owner to raise up his otherwise perfect and gorgeous car a bit !

[​IMG]

14. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Car has been SOLD . The Bonhams auction at Quail Lodge this weekend , during the Pebble Beach activities . Lot # 627 , $166,500 .

15. Please tell me that this STUNNING car is staying in the states? I LOVE this merc and I am very curious who the new owner is,I hope it fell in good hands.

16. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

32 Barn Car, do you have any photos showing the car as it sat when Tom bought it in 2005?

The photos below shows the car as it looked after Carl Morton bought it in 1962. These photos shows the car without, running boards and fender skirts, with holes in the hood, different bumpers, door handles etc. Would have been cool to compare these photos with photos of the car as it sat in 2005.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  18. Just left Carl's shop and he still has the market cornered on 40 merc's. couple of awesome projects. hard to believe what his mind conceives and his hands build.

Donne Lowe is my neighbor and everytime I stop by his shop it takes about a month for me to over look what a hack I am. carl has ten times the equipment and knows how to use it

NOTE TO SELF: don't go back to either shop!! I stay clear of Tom's shop too.

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

After looking at these pics for several days,I've come to the conclusion that I'd take that car in any variation that it has been.WOW!

20. nifty

nifty
    from UK

I know dragging old threads to the top isn't pleasing for all but I have a question about the Huth Merc. What is the speaker grille that was used in the dashboard?

One of the few things about the 40 Mercs that I'm not overly keen on is the dash with that washboard style effect. I like the simplicity of the dash in this one.

21. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

22. Interesting ~ The original post here said the car was bought new by Gerry Huth who "had the top chopped" and that it went through several owners then Charlie Mars.

The auction says it was bought new by Charles Marr in Nov 1939 and that he and friend Gerry Huth chopped it.

Not that it matters all that much, but it is nice to keep the history correct......

And as for the rake - I think it is Perfect for the era.

23. Amazing looking car! Wonder how the exhaust pipes running thru the trunk works outs, tho.