Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on torque thrust with Whitewalls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatblackindustries, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ribbon whites on my Torque Thrust D's

Attached Files:

2. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Funny that this thread came up on the day I was searching for old mag wheel pics on google.
    What really sucked on my El Camino was the 3 Outlet on the Lake Pipes. horrible. I took them of shortly when I was home. These pics were taken when I drove it home from sweden.

Other than that, the wide whitewalls work perfectly with the original white painted sidespear of the Elky. That's one of those secrets of it's good look.

And five spokes or slotmags are nearly a must for cars in my collection. They just always look good. Mine were on the car, and are the "modern" TT 2 in 6x14 with bias ply's undriveables. On 120 mph on the Autobahn it got a bit scary with a not very tight steering and front end. This will be changed. Also I want my old Torq Thrust T 70 polished and on the car. They are 7" and I hope they will go with the tires. Otherwise I might also go for radials. As long it is low, it works. Sadly those white radials have the totally modern pattern. Why didn't they took another older one. Then u couldn't tell the difference that easyl
    The rear wheels need spacers or a different et anyhow. Way too far in there. Astros would be nice, if they weren't such an sorry, american aftermarket junk. Even a wheaterforcast with the saying it might rain in 2 weeks, get them to rust. If u think of drivin' u'r car they might get loose, crack or become more unround as they are. :rolleyes:

3. Deuces

Deuces

Now that's funny... :)

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Amen brother Lowe! There were a few but in my area...very few. This is a completely different time today. If you look back at magazines to bolster your idea of what actually happened, remember the cars in the old magazines were state of the art for that era. I didn't live in that high roller world.

In the world that I grew up in, Mag wheels wore blackwalls and were usually on performance oriented hotrods. Chrome wheels wore whitewalls. Quite often draped in angel hair and lots of chrome at the shows. They were often trailer queen show cars.

We include them today as one hobby but they were 2 different hobbies back then. The expression of the day was..."If it don't go...chrome it" Meaning if it's not fast decorate it all up with chrome and WWW. It was a derogatory statement.

I see it all the time today. It still makes me cringe. Do it any way that you want but don't try to rewrite the history that I lived through. Were there exceptions? Sure but their ears were probably burning from all the snickering behind their backs.

5. hemi

hemi

Not Hamb-friendly, but they make sense... I'm not asking questions about them and looking for an attaboy.

Grumpy old man - that's awesome....

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If the word traditional bothers you, then sir, you are on the wrong forum. That's what this place is about...

x2

7. hemi

hemi

For the record I think and type fast, but I'll type it slow so you can follow me... :D <---- Humor, lighten up Francis.

I'm not a rocket scientist, (but I'd play one on TV) but if you *really* wanted to change your wheels up, you could sell your banana spokes to somebody and use that money to buy a set of these:

[​IMG]

NOT these because they are ugly also:

[​IMG]

and put your wide whites on them and *Poof!* your wheels would make sense, and your car would not attract the negative comments you say you have been getting, and you wouldn't get turned away at shows like you were complaining about... those steelies are dirt cheap, you'd probably have money left over for chrome lug nuts and a can of white or red paint for your hubs.

Read the title of the thread. I was here for the first round... still here.... still be here when it comes up again in 2015... still won't like them because they still won't make sense.
    :D:D:D

8. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I like the look of them, for the front wheels anyways, think I'll have an issue finding a thinner whitewall on a wide rear tire unless I outsource to the US :D

Attached Files:

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Richard, I certainly was NOT dissin the lowrider look. And your car on the ground, thin whites and mags, well, you sorta made my point. And you should get compliments with a laid out Riv. Bitchin...

10. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Not really. It's not the traditional cars, it's the traditional, more traditional, the traditionallest. U know what I mean. It gets a bit toooo sometimes. U can't share the whole car/Hot Rod hobby from back then over one comb.

Way back then, they made this, and that, and not just "this". I think way back then they just did what they wanted and what was laying around. And of course there were themes on the cars. But they mixed it up also. So I like the term period correct better. Torq Thrust were available in
    59, so it was possible to have them on a car with white whites and still won't look like from outer space. U know. Just my 2 cents.

11. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

So I am in the same boat. I just ordered some Diamond Back's and my son came up with this. If it dosnt work I will find some steelies. Input is appreciated though

Attached Files:

12. hemi

hemi

Holy cow! :eek::eek::eek: I was joking... Please don't do that to that car.

I will add to my other post that if chrome steelies are still to expensive, they made these things in the '50s called hubcaps... go great with whitewalls.

13. +1

Gotta say though, that Elky photo'd above is bitchin'!

14. hemi

hemi

But they were introduced as a performance wheel for racing... even their name is performance oriented: Torq Thrust.

If they found their way onto a car with wide whites, it would have probably been a cast-centered wheel with a leftover whitewall and probably on the front, as in the gray coupe from earlier.... Even Dean who was there and did it has said that it was a short-lived mistake. By the time mags were coming out, wide whites were leaving. They were shrinking into skinny stripes, changing colors like red and blue, and then they disappeared. Racing cars then brought on the white letter tire... It's a cross-contamination of eras and it looks bad.

Furthermore, the new TT II wheels made today are not as good looking as the old ones...

I hate to harp on this stuff, but the wheels and tires make or break any car... It's like putting a chick in a prom dress, doing her hair and makeup, and then shoeing her with some Reeboks. Why fall flat on the home stretch with one of the most visible parts of the package?

And if you like it, fine, but understand it's not right and don't get offended when people say stuff about it. You are making a conscious decision to plow ahead in the wrong direction on your own accord.

15. hemi

hemi

LOL.. and live with the comments.

Notice I said nothing about the Panamerica off-road rally car stance? :D:D

16. hemi

hemi

Frankly I am passionate because I have to look at about 40,000 cars a year for work, and when somebody sees something like Weld wheels with wide whites, and they are clueless, then they go home and think "I have shiny wheels, I want to be cool, I'm going to order some wide whites" and it mutates. I've seen wide whites on everything from Corvette rallys to slot mags to the three spoked Ultra wheels from Sears. It's exactly what happened with rat rods. Somebody saw it done and made their version, and after three generations of mis-information you have chain link door panels and screw drivers for gas pedals.

It directly affects me... my eyes, my brain, what I can or can not photograph, what makes sense. If something like bitching on this thread helps ONE guy... (Like the Bigdaddyhemi's car) then that's good, because then his car won't infect three more uninformed hot rodders and spread the disease of bad taste or ignorance.

There is a method to the madness and not knowing is not an excuse... "I didn't know it was illegal to open my neighbor's mail..." Still wrong.

17. hemi

hemi

It looks like it... ;)

18. hemi

hemi

Education will prevent things like this:

[​IMG]

19. Hahaha and if it makes your day yelling at a 18 y/o who is getting into the sport and an older guy who has an 88 olds with the same wheel set up who got a great deal...go on ahead.
    how about you post a picture of your face so i can comment on how ugly that is?

lastly, to be fair, i have thought about painting my steelies black, putting spiders caps, and getting some white walls for them to run for the tradtional shows that i like to go to, when i get the money.
    These wheels were actually a gift from my grandmother who knew i liked them, whos car this was in the first place and she really likes thus set up.

I betyour one of those people that goes to car shows not to enjoy the people who share the same passion, but to point out every flaw in every car because only YOUR car is perfect.....your non hamb friendly carS that is. lol still havent seen any pictures of those perfect cars...

ok, and just because i am tired of this immature bullshit,
    STFU! If you can think fast enough to know what that stands for. lol

because i really could GIVE A FUCK what some guy from the other side of the country who doesnt know me or seen the car in real life cares. lol

Have a nice day :)

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Traditional and period correct are two different things, yes they can overlap, but they are different. And like I said, if it bothers you, then you're in the wrong place. :rolleyes:

and we'll still comment.... :D

then shut up already... :eek:

21. FC49

FC49

The look brings to mind the Bruce recap slicks of the 50s mounted on American "mags." Lots of them used wide whites for cores, although some guys mounted them black-side-out.

Nice thing about owning a car is you can do any damn thing you want with it, no matter what anyone else likes. Be honest now, how many of us have done things to our cars, bikes, etc., just to piss certain people off?

Frank C.

22. So i had this in mind for a second set, and when i get the time and money to lower it i would, iv had this for over a month now

[​IMG]

23. hemi

hemi

Rad... See, now that looks good.

You brought the thread up and was asking why you had trouble getting into what I would guess would be VLV or Billetproof where they screen entrants. I answered. I'm sorry that my opinion offends you and yo grannie.

Yes I am ugly, yes I am a little bit older than you,(maybe a grumpy old man in training?), yes I was logged on here when you were 8, no I'm not a self-appointed all-knowing wheel god but I am informed, yes I drive an era-correct '70s style car, no my car isn't perfect at all, (and what I drive has no bearing on whether wide whites and TT II's go together) no I don't LIKE to point out what is wrong with every car, no I'm not insecure, yes I think it's cool you are 18 and driving your granmama's car, no it doesn't make my day helping you with information that you asked for, (and I'm not yelling by any means, I'm a happy guy), I already knew what STFU stands for... Stop Those Fucking Underage kids from mounting wide whites on Torq Thrusts. :D

Every day is a nice day...

24. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

I'm not offended of course! :)
    Right, but I do not get it that Dean made a mistake by doin' it wrong back in '61!?!?!
    He didn't like it himself on his car, o.k. but it is certainly not wrong. What is wrong what is right? To me, Hubcaps are always "wrong" as I do not like them. Even if they are right to some.

And I have a pretty good collection of old Mag Wheels and tires. I collect every single one I find over here, which isn't easy. I know about this, and told before, that the TT2's were already there and will be changed. I know also that it is not 100% what was happening mostly back then. The wider ones did not leave on one day ;) I have lots of 60's Rod Mags, and I know about the skinny whites, blackwalls, redlines etc.... Still, this was what was hip, and on the street, there were also cars that were not featured and just had their own style. I like the look of whites and Torq Thrusts (not always of course), and it might not have been the most common thing, and the most up to date thing back then, it did happen. And it is not a Cooper Cobra on a whatever Rat Rod, or shit like the Corvette above. And even if they were "Racing Wheels" what did somebody stop someone to put 'em on his car, or even Racecar? Just like the red one. I like it.

Here's a shot from the late 90's, with my alltime favourite Hot Rod. Sadly it has changed to the still cool Brown Neck Bandito but this was THE ROD for me! Anthony Castaneda's (Shifters) very cool Model A Coupe with Olds mill. Nothing wrong here I think. Dude i was young then. ;) Ah but I'm still good lookin' haha ;)

[​IMG]

25. hemi

hemi

I heart the BNB... always have, and I'd venture to say that there is a difference between the old straight-spoked Americans (with skinny OLD bias plies) and the TT II's of today. (and to take it a step further away, paired with a fat, white walled radial T/A)

Lots of things were done, and are done, but even now when I look at that picture, I can't help but think it would've been a smidge better with a skinny white or blackwall on the front...

26. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

On the picture and real is often a big difference, and I know on this pic it looks a bit "very white" Real it looked just right. Skinny whites and blackwalls would be great too.

Jup. The old straight spokes will go on my camino also The bias plys rule. And right, the skinier look good too, so do blackwall bias ply! Great with chrome reverse also, and and till u'r head smokes. Too many wheels and tires out there :D

Good nite..

By the way, I'm searching for the ultimate tire!!! Where can I find sth. like this??
    Those Firestones with the gold line. Seems "every" Rod in the later sixties had them on. Nowadays I only have seen them on some Dragster Survivours
    [​IMG]

27. Try Hurst Tires, maybe they can make some.

28. Holy shit, I didn't realize how old this topic was, I asked that question over four years ago! I think Unclee still has those wheels, they have changed hands a few times...

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sure you can, as long as you dont insist on trying to bullshit people that its period correct.

30. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Ya cant go wrong with smoothies or steelies....