Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on torque thrust with Whitewalls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatblackindustries, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

i over looked this thread about 3 times thinking....nah, don't think they'd look right

that elky makes be think differently!

2. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

alot of kustoms on the show circute in the 60's had wide white walls in my a pinion what ever the era is when you speak of white walls and who ran em alot of the time it came down to who had the money

3. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Really not a good look

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Here's a pic of a 48 p/u I used to own(now owned by another HAMBer)

I thought it looked cool

Attached Files:

5. dave s

dave s

i love the look of WWW's on the radir wheels.... it has a 60's showcar vibe to it.

Stllrng. likes this.
  6. chopndrop

chopndrop

7. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

chopndrop,

Now thats what I needed to see.

8. Just when you think something doesn't work, someone comes along and disproves your theory. Wheels look great on the Caddy, hideous on the
    T-Bird. Go figure. My 2 cents: old skool Torq Thrust D's with the gray finish and the peaked fronts on the spokes look real nice with WWW's. If you're
    wanting shiny, I'd go radir b4 non-D-style Torqs. There, now I can go back to sleep.

9. This is the perfect torq thrust to run with WW's. IMHO.

10. Again. The D looks great to my eye.

11. fifty4twodoor

fifty4twodoor

it's all in the persons own taste, everybody has their own opinion, do what you like, just because they don't like it, dosen't mean you won't, so just do it.

12. It just depends on the car...to me, this Merc doesn't look right with 'em. But an early '60s Caddy...now we're talking.

Bryan

Attached Files:

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

But have you driven on them yet? Do they hook?

14. Packrat

Packrat

I've been wondering how WWW's would look on Americans myself lately, glad this thread came up. I've got some old TT's on my '57, thinking about wide whites. Gotta agree with some of you all , in my opinion, they look pretty good with the older wheels, not so good on the later wheels.

15. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

I did a side by side comparison. I think I am leaning towards the classic steelies.

Attached Files:

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm fond of the look

[​IMG]

17. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Chaz,

What is the make on those? I love those rears.

18. devinshaw

devinshaw

I think the wide whites look pretty good on them, but definately period correct, if you care. I think the thin whites probably look better in those. I have a 65 belaire 4 door slammed on astro supremes and ran the 1 1/4 white walls and I love it.

19. Big Dad

Big Dad

White walls and custom rims work for me ..
    back in the day, only high rollers got white walls ..that is why they were on some of the slick rods ..

I agree, you like it, put them on .. who gives a shit what some other person thinks

I'm sure Ed Big Daddy Roth really worried about what anyone thought ..and he/ rat fink are icons ---imo

20. naw root, i haven't driven on them yet. i bought them for two reasons, 1 ,the price was right, and 2, i wanted to run these 16" wheel.i've seen alot of guys runnin recaps at the drags, so i'm sure they'll be fine when i'm ready to go. i'm sure they won't hook like a wrinkle wall, but i'm gonna do more street driving than track driving, so i'm not too worried about their "hooking" ability. i've read others replies about cody's tires and they have been pleased. i'm hoping to have this thing done by next years roundup, i'll know more about the driveability by then!

matt

21. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The fronts wheels are vintage Crestlines 14x6 . Coker Firestone bias ply on front.
    The Rears are 15 x10 Chromies. Rears are Coker Firestone Bias ply Cheater slicks also 15x10. Coker was great to deal with by the way.

22. Big Dad

Big Dad

Hey Matt , dig the Merc 1/4's --going to be cool deck lid

23. thanks!!! i got the lid put on it yesterday. i'm ready to get it finished.

i was bummed i didn't get to see the desoto down on the ground. the new wheels looked good on it.

24. Big Dad

Big Dad

Richard had a tear in his eye I think !!!
    Looks pretty neat really,-- If you want to stop by sometime, I'm just west of Ponder off 380

On yours,take your time, it is going to BE the shit when done--

25. hemi

hemi

Cast finish on thumbwalled slicks on the rear only....

26. hemi

hemi

Not to pick on ya, 'cause I read this on here a lot. but this is what's wrong with America these days. Nobody has the guts to tell another person what they did is ugly.

We gotta be all nice and say "It's his car, let him do what he wants.." Well, if he can build it, and I gotta sear the image into my brain, and it causes me to cringe.... I can say what I want.

Case in point, the gold Merc that was at the Bailon show. I saw it from far away, and said "yeah!" practically ran over to it, saw the gawd-awful mess in the fenderwells and felt stunned like I had pissed on an electric fence.

With wheels and tires in particular, they make or break a car. PhatCaddy's (or whatever his name is) big gold Cad had big billets that didn't really work with the body mods, he swapped out the rolling stock and now gets thumbs up.

The five spokes are a performance wheel. Whitewalls, unless recapped onto a slick, are not. They fight themselves. The early cast-finished skinnies on some really old looking fronts, like on the gray coupe, might fly, but for the most part it's like mixing apples into the orange juice.

That's my opinion... and that's what was asked for. Muwhahahaha.

27. twofosho

twofosho

Last full year of the WWWs on production cars was 61. My Dad's 62 Galaxie demo (he was a car salesman from the time I was 5 until long after I got out of the Navy) was the first car I saw with the narrower one's. And that doesn't mean they got common right away, you saw lots of WWWs up through 65 or so. Quite common to see Americans, Cragar Super Sports, deep dish chromes, and who knows what else sporting the WWWs. My high school parking lot certainly had it's fair share. In particular I remember them on a Model A coupe and more than a few 60 and 61 Chevs.

I had a set on a black 61 Newport convertible (413 with a factory 3 speed and white gut, the proverbial one I let get away) in the fall of 65. They were mounted on chrome wheels with the radial slotted flat centers, no caps, just chrome lugs (I'll bet no one here remembers those, but they were affordable, and looked damn good in my opinion).

Once again, if you like the look of the wide whites on your rig with your wheels, don't let the conformance police stop you, run em.

28. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

i always thought of going with wwws on my tt's - there were a few people who said it would look a bit off, but went with my idea and i liked it - after i put them on there seemed to be a surge of others who done the same thing. i get lots of comments still - some like it some dont, more seem to though.

here are some pics of mine on the car, you can see it with blackwalls and whitewalls. got some steelies for the blackwalls now.

http://www.garagescene.co.uk/ford/whitewalls/whitewalls.html

29. I ran white walls with mag Torque Thrusts for about 3 months in '61. Then I came to my senses, shit canned the wheels and tires, and went to polished Halibrands and black walls. Don't let anyone tell you it's "traditional" 'cause it's not.

[​IMG]

30. Just my 2 cents worth but alloy style (or) mag wheels look better with blackwalls. Gives it a nice competition look.
    Their okay with thin pinstripe whitewalls but not too great looking with wide whites. ( Too much bling),
    Red lines, gold lines or blue-streaks are very acceptable too.
    Like I said...............just my humble opinion.