Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Only 15 First Hot Rod Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8juice, Jan 26, 2014.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

The Cragars will roll you for now and be great sale/trade fodder later!

2. v8juice

v8juice

Well I got the engine mostly bolted together.[​IMG]

3. v8juice

v8juice

4. v8juice

v8juice

Tomorrow I'm going to finnish the drivers side quarter repair and start bracing the body to lift it off the frame. At least I only have 3 body mounts left to cut out :eek:

5. v8juice

v8juice

Finished the other side[​IMG]

6. v8juice

v8juice

7. camerl2009

camerl2009

it looks to be in ok shape then again im used to dealing with rotted floors/rockers I think too many cars are parted out because some people are afraid of a little rot

8. Looks like that car is in good hands. You go dude! :)
    -Pat

9. camerl2009

camerl2009

good score id invest in some por 15 for the inside of the panels where you are patching this will take care of surface rust and will protect it its not a replacement for cutting out rot but it will stop rust from continuing and add a protection layer

Flat-Foot likes this.
  10. I like seeing a young guy dive in and try his hand at rust repair,it's not rocket science and it appears your not afraid to try.

Keep going young man. HRP

Andamo and camerl2009 like this.
  11. v8juice

v8juice

Thanks for all the relies I forgot the finished trunk picture [​IMG]

12. keep it up young fella! good job

13. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I see you're rattle-canning. If you want to get better coverage and prevent it from dripping, you want to use a sweeping motion and let it build up, not lay it on until it's wet. Your first pass should look like a dusting.

If you can find them, heads that shoot a horizontal or vertical fan spray are great. Eastwood Chassis Black comes with these nozzles and they can be set either way.

Another thing I use with rattle cans are those clip on pistol grips for the cans. They're easier to control and cut waaaay down on fatigue, which in turn, increases quality.

You might also benefit from rubbing the existing paint down with a red scotch brite pad or some light sandpaper (then wash, degrease & tack if you can) before you put your coats down.

14. v8juice

v8juice

Thanks for the paint tips I'm really just painting to keep it from flash rusting. I'll probably sand it down and do a repaint further down the road.

patmanta likes this.
  15. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

If your the blonde haired young man in the pictures your a dead ringer for me 40 years ago with my first car ,a 39 ford Tudor, ( I still have it!)...my two cents worth is get the body patched up roughly ready for paint before you spend a lot of money, that way if you do weary of it or find a car you like more (or a girl, they're expensive too!) your not out a bunch. Many many men swap motors, chassis components etc. and then loose interest when it's time to cut and grind rust and sling and file filler. Also don't get too discouraged if your body work is not perfection, if you get her close and in primer you can always go back later and cherry it out .....good luck have fun and be safe!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great start!!! I like the fact you are jumping in on all that rust repair. It takes more time than money for all that work and being 15 that is exactly what you have! All the tedious work will be done first and the fun parts last. Go man Go!!!

17. v8juice

v8juice

I didn't get too much done today but I got a shop crane Which means I can start fitting the engine:D

patmanta likes this.
  18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

As much as I curse and trip over mine, it's something I'm always glad I have when I need it. Good score!

19. v8juice

v8juice

I don't have pictures yet but I started working on engine and transmission mounts

patmanta likes this.
  20. v8juice

v8juice

I pulled the old frame out from under the car and it's pretty much trashed so I'm thinking that a frame swap might be the way to go.

21. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Exactly what do you mean by trashed?

Gaping rust holes? Buckling from being hit?

I'm having trouble imagining what you would consider damage beyond repair necessitating complete replacement.

22. v8juice

v8juice

Well its been hacked apart by previous owners and just about everything from the firewall back is gaping holes of swelling metal.:eek:

23. Take a few minutes and research frame swap and registrations in your state before you get too much further. It could suck to put a ton of work into this and then hit a massive brick wall at registration time.

Beyond that, don't let the work of the frame swap discourage you. You are doing good so far. Looks like you are learning a ton and having fun while doing it. Keep it up!

24. v8juice

v8juice

I did some research and it looks like I'll be okay legally with the frame swap.

25. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was gonna say, Maine is pretty lax about that stuff, so you'd probably be fine, but it might not be needed regardless. Can you take some pictures and show it to us?

26. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Alrighty....... so the search for an S-10 commences......... ?

Not HAMB friendly but a logically viable option. No sarcasm intended....

27. v8juice

v8juice

[​IMG]
    The body is now off the frame.

28. v8juice

v8juice

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Trust me try to find a good Plymouth frame of the same body style. It will be worth it even if you have to travel.

patmanta likes this.
  30. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Your more hot rodder than most guys years older than you because your not afraid to jump in head first without fear and do the work. Good on you..let the sparks fly man!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!