Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to align the body in relation to the floor braces so body-to-frame bolts would be properly aligned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could not find aftermarket inner rockers for 4 door, only 2 door, so bought 4 sets of 2 door inner rockers and spilced them together. Early welding skills.:eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut out and replaced the 4 main front floor pans, from toe board back to rear seat. You can see that we removed the brace from under these rear seat pans (which we kept) and replaced it with a "new" brace from Rusty Senior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front seat bolts go through front floor brace with a nut welded inside the brace (so that when you tighten the bolt from under the car you don't compress the floor pan to the brace). Made a template of the front seat bracket/bolts.

[​IMG]

5. indyjps

indyjps

In post 60, where youre welding, you have a whole box labeled HAIR, I have to ask if thats really full of hair.

sometimes renting / borrowing a compressor with generator for blasting is the best way to go. We'd all love to have a giant compressor but --

Build is looking great, made major progress

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early fabrication skills, made a piece to fasten bottom of B pillar to floor pan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK ya'll, here's the design boss's idea. Edit: OT idea

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Left rear door, give you an idea of the amount of bondo, misc. sheet metal and chicken wire "cosmetics" Old Rusty had.

[​IMG]

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After sandblasting, I used a rust encapsulator prior to primer. Binds the iron as iron phosphate so that it is not available to bind with oxygen. Turns the steel blackish.

[​IMG]

13. What a fantastic team you all make. Your work ethic is unbelievable and the skills you are learning with your son are hard to believe. I read this post from the top twice and I have great respect for you. What a GREAT DAD and neat kid. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Later,
    Dick

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya'll will love this. OK, so I ask myself "This is all fine and good restoring the outside of the frame, but what about the inside of this hollow frame?"

Bothered me. Of course, the real answer (I guess) is to have the frame powder coated, but due to budget considerations, here's what I came up with. Tilt the frame so liquid encapsulator can run down the length of the inside. Flipped the frame over several times so the liquid would run on all 4 sides. Prior to liquid pour, I beat on the frame with a rubber hammer to loosen rust flakes and remaining critter shit.:eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to tape over frame holes to keep liquid from running out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

WOW!!

The coolest thread I've seen in a long time. Subscribed.

My dad and I built a 62 Chevy Nova 2 door post when I was about your son's age. Nothing this intensive but still a father son project. A very similar trip to the scrap yard for a 64 Nova wagon. I needed the five bolt spindels and rear end. I was the envy of my friends. I had the coolest car in high school. No shit. All because my dad took almost every weekend and evening with me for two years. I'll never forget the first day I drove it to school. My screen is getting blury just thinking about it.

Your son will never forget this, I haven't forgetten my experience. My wife would say I'm now sick because of it. My dad taught it to me and you are teaching it to your son. When he has a son of his own, he'll pass it to him. You're actually helping secure the hobby for future generations.

I would be willing to bet that you are the envy of a lot of dad's on here. These are moments that you will cherish as you watch him grow up.

Yea, you get my vote for Father of the Year. You're a lucky man and your son is a lucky young man.

Congrats!

Andy L. Kaempfer
    St. Louis, MO

16. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

great project, good job so far

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably bit off too much, but there's no turning back. Thanks.

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My last name.
    Thanks.

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words, Dick.

20. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Seems like you are enjoying every moment. At thirteen I was starting to get into girls and hanging out at the beach surfing. Not huge interest in what my pop's was working on. Fast forward 20 years and having to pull my dad out of retirement to help. Better late than never, but my priorities were out of line. You are lucky and good luck on the rest of the build with your son. More reason to be thankful for the hobby.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aw shucks, Andy, thanks for your kind words. Sometimes wish I had paid $ 5-7,000 for something that we could have had on the road much earlier. But then again, sometimes the journey is the experience, more so even than the destination.
    Have always loved Chevy II's. Still have it?

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, man.

23. gonzo

gonzo

Excellent work. My kid just turned one and I already can't wait for our first project together. I always ask him do you want a coupe or a roadster, wagon or sedan? Still waiting for an answer.

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know, girls and surfing are pretty good priorities!!! But I know what you mean, us humans take so much for granted sometimes. Only later do we realize how special something was. Very mindful of trying to be in the moment. These are the good old days!! Thanks.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha!! One thing's for sure, someday you'll get your answer. I think he's already hooked by having a Dad that asks the question!! Poor little guy doesn't stand a chance for high culture!!:D Thanks.

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Self-etching primer, going with S-W Dimension paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edit: note edit date below. I am removing all reference to my OT suspension,engine and tranny out of respect for Ryan's rules. Cool as this thread may be from a father/son perspective, the fact remains that it is one of many threads that took advantage of Ryan's flexibility while the HAMB was exploding in membership.

Now (Sept '13) that Ryan is making a concerted effoert to get the HAMB back on topic, I am trying to do my part. I just wish I could remove the OT quotes of some of my original OT posts.

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edit: OT suspension

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edit: OT suspension stuff

30. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(Edit) on to the rear.

Currie 9” Ford rear end. Did all the math working backward from “70 mph at 2300 rpm” and came up with 3.51 gear ratio. Todd Walton of Walton Fabrication talked me into a 3.73. Got my tranny X-member, rear leaf spring kit, and ordered the Currie through him . . . he’s awesome. Thanks Todd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]