Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, family first. Still in the kid business. Thanks.

Inspiration is really what the HAMB is all about. Happy to contribute, thanks.

Well, you might need to get your mind right over the fact that yours most likely will!
    Seriously Sean, have not touched the Chevy since the last real update here, which was a long time ago. Here we go again: two kids in college and a junior in h.s. It is a psychological/emotional barrier as much as anything. ANY resources (time, money, effort) spent on the Chevy smack of selfishness on my part, I get it. I am content to know that this situation is temporary, my time will come.

Which brings us to my favorite rant, a lecture that I periodically offer to the younger parents: The kids are not little for long! You will be out of the raising kid business before you know it. When you are in the middle of the Toddler Tantrums, or the Middle School Homework Wars, or the High School Drama, it can seem like it will last forever. But then you look up and realize that it has all changed, the raising is mostly over, and nobody warned you that the end was approaching. So, you young dads, fight the natural urge to say "we'll do it later" when you come home and need the space to chill while your kid is saying "Daddy play with me." These moments are, in reality, fleeting ones, the most precious thing we have.

OK, back to regular HAMB programming . . .

2. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I understand completely how life gets in the way of things. I hope that life can provide some balance soon, and you can do what makes you happy, whether or not that includes working on the Chev.

Although, it would be nice to see the ol' girl move down the road. If it would help, I could mail you a kick in the pants. :D

3. brerhair - i like what your saying a lot. our little girl just turned 1. i still get flustered when we have been awake for 3 hours in the middle of the night, but i know it is part of it. i to have not been putting any real time towards my pickup, i get to do a little bit when my wife takes the little one to visit grandparents for a week every now and then.

4. raidmagic

raidmagic

You couldn't be more right. I was doing a swap on an OT car some years ago, before it became a popular swap, and a lot of guys on the forum I was on were busting my balls asking for updates and asking what is taking so long. One day I popped on there and posted for them to not worry about how long it is taking. It's my car and it will take as long as it needs. I have 2 young children and if I die tomorrow I'd rather be known as a great dad than that guy who built that cool car.

That pretty much shut them up. Mine are "older" now 10-13. We do our fun stuff and when they do their thing I hit the shop. I wasn't out there at all most the summer. This last few weeks has seen me out there getting things done. It's more of the shop is what I do in my free time now rather than the shop is what I do.

Anyway, keep raising them kids and you'll be back on that car before you know it.

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some day she will, thanks Sean.

Gonna say it again . . . they ain't little for long. Sent our youngest off to NC State this fall, hard to believe. Thanks.

Appreciate it, and yes the car is still here, and yes you are correct.

As an homage to our dearly departed 3wLarry . . . Ol' Rusty is patiently waiting. I love the process, the welding, grinding, ciphering, wrenching, etc. too much to give it up. Bleeding money putting 3 kids through college, but the bleeding stops in 4 more years. How's that for icing an already cold thread?

Seriously, for what it's worth, once the youngest is out of college I will be all over that Chevy. Still have the passion.
    So, we will pop up again in a few years, and we will roll on down the road. Thanks to all who checked in.

Thor1 and sgnova72 like this.
  6. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is for certain that you have fortitude.

BrerHair likes this.