Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old plug wires, repair or replace?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

So I've picked up a SWEET little 283 from a greybeard for my '54. It has Packard plug wires (that I'm in LOVE with!) and a points distributor. The only problem I see with the plug wires is that the connectors are so old that they're splitting. The rebuilder suggested I replace the wires, but aside from the splits, they're exactly what I'm wanting. Would it be worth the time to try to replace the boots myself, or should I just look for new ones? Here're some pics! :D

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406825618.480019.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406825636.429404.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406825653.812675.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406825670.228631.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406825699.000667.jpg

It's primitive technology that is further compromised in the name of vanity.- HAMBer Cleatus

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Since you need to put rams horn manifolds on it, and run the wires down the back and under, it really needs longer plug wires. I suggest you replace them.

Used to be a local parts store that carried Belden stuff had a roll of Packard wire...I think it's gone now. I need to check.

3. Replace them and avoid any problem. HRP

4. do as Squirrel said.
    for wires go to Autozone and get their part # 4402. they are pre-made and the perfect length for running them down the back and under the rams horns. they are also black in color......i work partime for their competitor and our wires are grey

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

They're actually made to go under rams horns, the rebuilder just had log type manifolds and stuck em up there outta the way.

It's primitive technology that is further compromised in the name of vanity.- HAMBer Cleatus

6. There are several places that sell Packard 440 wire by the foot. Just search the internet.
    You can get 7mm spark plug boots from Speedway or other online stores.

Mick

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

they look way too short for that, to me. They had a clip on the oil pan rail on each side, to hold the wires for the front 4 cylinders.

But I could be seeing things.

37jimmy likes this.
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Packard 440 is pretty readily available, along with repros of every known style of terminal used since spark ignition was invented. Complete early sets are available from Corvette and other early Chevy rest parts places, so you can get good original looking sets to match rams horns or any other elderly Chevy setup.
    Elderly plug wires are a bottomless pit of trouble...

9. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Ok, on that note, if it's by the foot, how many feet would one need for a V8? Anyone know a place with reasonable prices? Thanks.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

11. You've got the plug wires now, measure then and add 5 ft. If you buy Packard 440 wire and come up a little short I usually keep some around to help a fella out. never enough for a complete set but usually enough to make up the difference when a fella gets in a pinch.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I used to like finding the electrical secondary 'spark click' behind the 265 Chev rams' horns.
    An old man I worked with would leave the engine running, and feel for the spark.
    The elder gent I apprenticed for would take the plug end and hold it in his hand, stand close to the fender, and I'll leave you to guess where the 'trouser-spark' jumped from!

13. Ha Mike,
    I used to run a magneto on a vehicle that I used everyday, it did not have an electric starter. I ran Packard wire with Raja ends. Sometimes it would let me down. I traveled with this lady that was a little slow on the draw and I would get her to hang onto the end of the plug wire, pull the plugs and spin it with all that was in me. If I got slugged I had spark and it worked every time. :D

14. Thanks for this thread, im replacing my wires today. I had been wondering how to get some older ones.

15. wsdad

wsdad

Make your own. Find a font that looks close to that "Packard" font. Use it on a customized rubber stamp. They can be bought on line. Dip the stamp in white paint and apply it to your brand new black plug wires.

Bob's your uncle.