Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Crow belly tank Bonneville trip (3 new records)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Aug 25, 2008.

1. I bummed a ride to Bonneville with Lucky Burton. Lucky and Bobby Green make up the Old Crow speed shop. It was an awesome trip! Made alot of great new friends, had alot of fun and came home with 3 new records. Here are some pics from the trip.....

On the road in Nevada........
    [​IMG]

Here is Bobbys girlfriend Carol. It was a pleasure spending time with such a happy, positive, friendly and super nice lady. Bobby is a lucky guy.
    [​IMG]

Pulling onto the salt Sunday morning for tech'.......
    [​IMG]

Setting up the pit. Lucky is a genius, he came up with this portable misting system using a beer keg filled with water pressurised by a small CO2 tank. Worked perfect and one keg keeps the pit cool for one day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going through tech with Don Ferguson III doing the honors....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Great to hear of the success with the Old Crow!!!!!

Any Video of the Rev. Ind. runs?

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How about posting the new records and the classes.

Frank

4. Lucky, Bobby and the Old Crow. All happy to be back on the salt.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talking strategy before the run, something about "don't forget to push the gas pedal all the way down".
    [​IMG]

Pushing off, Bobby lets it idle until they really get rolling and then pulls away in second gear....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They were hoping the tank would run 120mph. It almost did on the first run but the throttle cable slipped in the pedal so the car coasted for the last part of the run.
    The flathead 4 banger on gas lakester record was open so it was off to impound. Impound is a great place to be. That means you get to do a backup run the next morning for a record.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008

5. martin

martin

Good work Kev, now that would have been a top trip. my Old Crow shirt is
    one of my fav`s, good to hear they ran well.

6. ShortBus

ShortBus

Don't leave us hanging ya bastard! How fast did they go?

Congrats Bob & Luck. I agree, Carol is a doll.

7. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

AWESOME MAN wish I could have gone.. looks so fun!!!

8. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

awesommee!!=) glad to hear it. Bobby is one of the nicest guys ive ever met, but im pretty sure lucky wants to murder me in my sleep=(.....

9. The Discovery channel film crew was on the salt all week following several teams and Old Crow was one of them. Here's Bobby "Hilton" in action...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think the Discovery crew got the lucky checkered boxers....
    [​IMG]

Pushing off for the second run. It went better than the first and Bobby claimed the record with the average of the 2 runs, 125mph.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  10. autobilly

autobilly

Great thread Kev, did they "back up"?

11. autobilly

autobilly

OK there it is, 125MPH. Congratulations Old Crow!

12. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Hey thats great guys!!!! Im in Dallas and ive been wondering how it went. Glad nothing broke or blew up.
    Congrats.

13. Congrats! Very cool news........now will Bobby divulge whats in that new 4 banger?

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Wow, cool stuff, see you saturday.

15. Everyone was happy it went over 120mph. Here is Max jr from H&H. He was pretty exited. Bobby knew it would do better than that so he decided to try to improve his new record.
    [​IMG]

The Old Crow tradition is to celebrate a record by emptying a bottle of Old Crow and fill it with salt and bring it home for a souvenir. Half of it was emptied at the salt flats.......
    [​IMG]

And the rest was finished at the motel. It was a full on H.A.M.B. party and got a little rowdy. Many pictures that I am too scared to post. I need all the friends I can get.
    Left to right, Malcolm, Green Mountain Boy and Lucky. That's Drew's head in front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. The next 2 runs Bobby bumped the record up to 135mph and gained alot of respect from some fellow racers who seemed surprised. Here he is getting his Hop Up 100mph shirt at the Hop Up party....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lucky spotted a window sticker blowing into the distance and decided to chase it down. Man it was windy. Rough going for those people camping at the Bend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, on went some rear fenders and different carbs to go for the flathead four banger fuel streamliner record. An open record.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next 2 runs resulted in blown head gaskets etc and a little coasing but claimed the record at 104 mph
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv been waiting for this report
    that’s cool as fuck, thanks

18. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Fuck ya!!! Go Old Crow Go!!!!!

Congrats to all of you homos.....:D

19. I have to get off the computer, I'll add a little more as soon as I can.

20. Hey Kev,
    That is so cool.
    I have been meaning to email Bobby to see how he went, great report.
    Look forward to seeing more.
    Greg

21. 272sedan

272sedan

congrats and it was cool seeing you guys there and getting your cool swag see you next year

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder if any of the stuff I sold Bobby was in any of those runs? Thanks for posting the photos and report, glad everyone had a good time. Bob

23. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Way to go guys !

24. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

25. Hey Kev, great report and awesome pix. Congrats guys.

26. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Well, As the old saying goes..... You never "own" any records, you only "borrow" them for a while. .............So I am proud to say, I am "borrowing" the record for the fastest gas unblown flathead banger ever. A very proud day for all of us indeed.
    135 mph for a flathead banger is an awesome feat. And I'm looking forward to going faster still. Wish us luck.
    Thanks for the help Kev. And the pics.

And thank to Hop up for the t-shirt.

27. Thanks for the pix Kevin. I was hoping to make it out to the 60th running @ B-ville this year and your pic's help me get my fix. Next time I go, I'm driving my 40 come hell or high water!:D:cool:

28. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

The sacrifices involved in setting the record for the fastest gas unblown flathead banger ever? Considerable.

The honor of being the first guy ever pictured on the HAMB wearing checkered boxers? Priceless. That place in history is yours. Nobody can ever take that away from you.

29. Gibson

Gibson
    from Butler, PA

That's fuckin' awesome man, what kind of rear end do you use, a 9"?

30. So as we were leaving on one very windy day Drew accidentally spotted a brand new huge tarp someone had misplaced in one of the dumpsters. Let the good times begin, nothing like folding a huge tarp in 30-40 mph winds. Too bad you can't see wind in pictures, I think we all lifted off the ground at least once.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]