Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old 32 Ford Hot Rod gets "Updated"...Part II (Racing History, added 06-29-15)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NealinCA, Feb 2, 2014.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

Since it's 32 Fordor related, I'll add it here. A very kind fellow just sent me this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a printing block (measures about 6" across) from 1932. I think its very cool. Thanks Jack!

Neal

kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  2. Roadsir

Roadsir

Neal, really a great thread......As a steering gear guy what lube have you found to work the best? I was considering cornhead for my '40 box, and would be interested in your opinion.

3. Love that steering drag link Neal. I really like where your going with this project..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

I like either 140 gear oil or "00" semi-fluid grease. I think the corn head grease is a "0" grease, which might be a little heavy, although I hear many people using it. You can get the "00" grease at a mower shop, as it is used in a lot of mower gear boxes.

Neal

Squablow likes this.
  5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks, thats good information, I appreciate it!

6. NealinCA

NealinCA

Been working on the "other" Fordor a little. The rear bumper brackets were on upside down when I bought the car. Since it's kinda involved to pull it apart, I decided to make a few changes when I did.
    [​IMG]
    The gas tank needed a repaint for one...
    [​IMG]

Then I seemed to have forgotten the spare tire carrier when I put it back together...plus I added a second tail light.

[​IMG]

I wasn't feeling the 50 Merc caps and whites on this car, so I rounded up some 16x4's for the front and a pair of NOS 41 Merc 16x5's for the rear...

[​IMG]

and had them all powder coated black...

[​IMG]

I kinda like the sinister look, but not with the sewing machine 21 stud this car has...

[​IMG]

So I went with original 40 trim rings and 46 caps...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am happy with the new look. I cant wait to get the rusty Fordor together, as it will basically be a clone of this car, just a little rougher around the edges.

Neal

kidcampbell71, Merlin and HEMI32 like this.
  7. Nice.......always. Plenty of interest. Keep it rolling please. This is greatness times four, man. Come on.......what's not cool about a rod, you AND your friends can look cool in?

8. clem

clem

Love it ! Hard to beat black with black rims.

9. brady1929

brady1929

10. alchemy

alchemy

Nice change with the new wheels, but I am a large fan of the cream wires. They make me think of 1970 RnC articles.

11. Neal,seeing this car makes me regret selling my old moor door,,you knocked it outta the park! HRP

12. That's one GORGEOUS Fordor.

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

'46 caps are the coolest...had 'em on my coupe. I got a spare 283 if you need one. ;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was digging the Merc caps...:(

15. I sure like the moredoor deuce...Looks great

16. NealinCA

NealinCA

Funny you mention that. My brother and I were having a discussion when I had the Kelseys on the car. He said it's not a period correct look...and I said, yes it it is, "Early 70's Rod and Custom". Those are the magazines we grew up studying...so were obviously a big influence on our tastes in cars.

Here's the whole reason the car had cream Kelseys in the first place...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Beautiful job, real classy!

18. alchemy

alchemy

I think the fordor is supposed to be topless to attract the bikini girls.

19. NealinCA

NealinCA

But they are all in their 60's now, so the "not topless" version is likely prefered...

lewk, falcongeorge and Speedy Canuck like this.
  20. ^^^^^^^HAHAHAHA!^^^^^^

cat likes this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

The '33 tudor that my Dad built when I was young in the mid 70's had cream wires on it too. I'll always have a fondness for cream wires.

22. Fogger

Fogger

What an improvement the solid black wheels, black walls, '46 caps and trim rings made. Don't know why owners put white walls on their early Fords, not a Hot Rod look. Really like your 4-door, great results.

23. NealinCA

NealinCA

While I do like white walls on some hot rods, I just didn't like the look on this car.

These I do...

Attached Files:

24. I think this car went from really nice to bad ass!
    Only my opinion

25. NealinCA

NealinCA

Back on the old Fordor...and have a little progress to report.

I primed and painted the firewall, but I was not feeling the way it turned out. Was supposed to be semi-gloss...

[​IMG]

So I de-glossed it with some 0000 steel wool. I think it fits the vibe of the car better now.

[​IMG]

I am using Red's headers for a 32 with F100 steering. They clear a Hudson or Nash steering box real well. I extended them back behind the K-member to a flange. I clamped flanges in the same spot on both sides and filled in between.

[​IMG]

Here they are, all welded up and ready for a little BBQ black.

[​IMG]

I rolled the chassis outside today and snapped a few pics...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The same, but different...

[​IMG]

I have a few more loose ends to tie up, then I can start wiring and fire this thing off.

Neal

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Nice to see progress on your own stuff!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  27. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Neal--I am really with you on Richard Graves` Tub. I still remember the first time I saw that Magazine and article. I was much younger then, and seeing the `Speed Shot` layout caused me to go to my room and lay down for a while with a damp rag on my forehead........(!!!)..

28. Neal, I see that your using a later generator on this build with the early fan mated to this. did you do anything custom to make this work or did you find a pulley with the larger diameter?

29. Mart

Mart

Excellent work, as always Neal, glad to see progress being made.

Mart.

30. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Really coming along nice! You do great work! :)