Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old 32 ford 3 window coupe "hot rod" found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Dec 17, 2016.

1. titus

titus

With the help of a couple good freinds i was able to make a deal on this old 32 ford 3 window coupe, yep, its hard to look past the shoebox subframe!! but i was able to, the body is actually in pretty decent condition, the 32 frame is still there from the firewall back and in decent shape, so im planning on cutt off the ugle and adding back on some original front frame sections to it. dunno how ill build it but it will stay channeled. they used a shoe box ford as a donor car and it has everything shoebox on it, crazy! it even has overdrive!

IMG_6132.jpg IMG_6131.jpg IMG_6130.jpg

2. It's as ugly as a mud fence! :rolleyes:

But,it has a lot of possibility~congratulations. HRP

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Congratulations !....... Looking forward to watching progress.

4. I disagree, just because it has some age doesn't mean it has history or a pedigree,I doubt anyone notable built the car....it is now in the hands of a competent builder and can be returned to the streets where it belongs. HRP

5. Well, that one looks like it has been "original" several times..:)

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

You guys are killing me with these finds.... nice score!

loudbang and clem like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Where did you find? Body looks pretty nice.....Shoebox firewall too. Wow.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The flathead and overdrive would be a good drivetrain to use but you are right that the sub frame needs to go. can't say that the dash does anything for the car either. Body looks good and I have always liked a channeled deuce coupe.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Must have been build in a very small garage and never rolled out to see how it looked. Gas or plasma cutter? Its history starts now. Merry Christmas! Bob

clem, slv63 and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

That's a great find. Hell, looks like they even used the shoebox headlight buckets! I kinda like the dash and steering wheel in there, and if the firewall install could be cleaned up enough, I think I could like it, too.

With new frame horns and a proper axle, this could be a really neat car. I don't think it'd be a shame to change it, but I think enough of the old custom work could be preserved that it'd still be the same car in general.

I know it's probably impolite to ask, and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but I'd love to know what kind of money it took to buy that car.

leadfootloon and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. that's neat....what's the story ?

DFWSteveFoster likes this.
  13. titus

titus

I just wish the guy had a 48 ford as a parts car, things would have been alot more forgivable, unfortunaly this pug is just to ugly to leane alone, and the quaility of the work is leas than to be desired!

the car came out if Rochestor Mn, was cut up in the late 50s but still need to do some talking with people on it, was built on a farm, suposably taken up yo 100 mph, it scared the hell outa them so they never drove it again!

heres a view thats more pleasing
    image.jpg

14. titus

titus

and some of the fancy footwork!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    full shoebox floor!
    image.jpg

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I like the shoebox taillights. You should leave those on.

16. Great find, a very cool project, congrats!!

17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I thought from the first pics, even attempted to stitch in a shoebox firewall so they didn't have to change wiring. It's a wonder they didn't just shorten and narrow whole shoebox frame while they were at it.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

I Love It !
    It's got style.

figure8 likes this.
  19. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I agree with Robert. Like it or not it's a time capsule. The only changes I would make would be those necissated by safety concerns.
    My two cents, not that anyone asked.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Squablow

Squablow

The butcher work on that frame definitely is a safety concern. I do like the tail lights, and the firewall job could be cleaned up with a fair amount of work, along with the floor, that's kinda neat too, although if the car lost those two things it wouldn't be a huge shame.

There's a lot to like about this car. There's also a lot that is left to be desired. But I think it would be neat to try to retain the better aspects of it in a refined, less crude rebuild.

It sure seems like every one of these cars had one of those "growler" horns mounted on the driver's side rail, my T and my A had identical ones. Was that a trend that just never came back around?

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

Cool find, congrats

22. ..good find Titus,...possibly the FIRST ever subframe job;...and they say subframes aren't traditional.

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Very agricultural by the good ole farm boys, the frame clip is scary!!

25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

That's way outta line... Mud fences ain't THAT ugly! :)

kiwijeff, dwollam, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. Envy of many.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. WOW! Great score my friend....Can't get over how this shit keeps coming out of the wood work...

28. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks pretty traditional to me. Lots of guys used to butcher up cars like that in the good ole days. A friend of mine had a 34 Ford on a 58 Mercury frame, complete with the big Merc motor. Was quite a butcher job also. I always wondered what happened to that car, never did find out. Would have liked the body.

29. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Congrats in the find. Good luck cause you've got your work cut out for you. Time to make the bad history go away and start making good history with the car.

clem likes this.
  30. Couldn't have gone to a better man.