Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OK, level with me Traditional H.A.M.B.'ers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Sep 8, 2014.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Doesnt this thread just make you feel all warm and fuzzy?? I'm gonna go out and just give somebody a nice big warm hug...:)

Metaltwister likes this.
  2. Hug ME, George. (I'm far enough away, so I can say that).

3. I sure could use oneo_O;)

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

5. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Finish it how you planned/wanted or want! It's a great story and it's a hot rod no matter how you break it down

Metaltwister likes this.
  6. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Heck yeah! Three pages of you guys is much better than some 12 step program across town and I still got all the warm fuzziness I needed. Now go back to your garage and get to work... LOL

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

Full fenders, moons. Put the rear fenders on, paint it whatever color you want. Were it mine that's what I'd do and call it perfect.

Metaltwister likes this.
  8. OldRover

OldRover

The general consensus is, build it the way you want, drive it and enjoy it. There will always be somebody who does not like something about it and people who love it. Just move forward.

Metaltwister likes this.
  9. Clevername

Clevername

Got any employees? Pull the body, get them to sand the frame and firewall and then shoot it all black. Never goes out of style:) Work on all the detail stuff yourself, and get her on the road!

Metaltwister likes this.
  10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yep, ditch the radials for some steels and bias plies, throw a hood over the engine like HRP said, prime over everything, get it running and start driving it. Work on it while you're driving it, it will be more fun and move along that way. Have fun man and good luck.

11. CGkidd

CGkidd

Build it how u want. One thing though the color actually looks fairly close to what some companies had in the late 50's so no need to start over from scratch. Like some of the others on here saidwhite interior and running boards, baby moon's, nice paint and fenders. late 50's mild custom / hot rod.

12. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I spent some time last night making a to do list. Tonight I'm going to prioritize the list. Anything that gets it closer to being on the road will come first and the ginger bread stuff will be accomplished after it running and on the road. Good advice guys.

13. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I love the... build it how you want it BUT... Posts.

Ready, Set, Go!

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So let me see if I'm up to speed here...He should build it his way, but only so long as that includes baby moons, white T&R, and bias plies, right? So if hot pink Zodiac and Astro Supremes was what he had in mind, that would fall outside the boundaries of "build it your way" right? Bear (or is it bare??) with me here guys, I'm really trying to turn over a new leaf, but I'm just having a little trouble following all this...:D

15. No, George, it's not like that. If he finishes it in shiny turquoise paint with white T&R, baby moons and a hood, then he builds it how I want. And, everyone know I know what's cool. LOL

But, really, that's what he should do, right?

Special Ed likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, HELL no! He should build it his way, which SHOULD BE the way I tell him! Hard chopped, Lido Lavender with canted quads and crab claw wheelcovers!!:p

17. mike bowling

mike bowling

Mr. Metaltwister, DSCN1591.JPG Rear window needed an up-grade ( like the rest of the body!) ( and keep the spun aluminum covers on your car- they're paid for and look COOL to some of us old farts).Response from George anticipated.And where the heck is Three Window Larry?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  18. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Wow... Hats off to you sir! you've come a long way and its looking great. Guess I'm spoiled living in desert everything hangs around for years here and stays in pretty good shape even in bare metal Thanks for posting up the pics, what are you thinking sky blue and satin running boards. ;):rolleyes::)

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Pink and black with graphics-maybe a purple lightening bolt? Traditional meets ZZ Top? Call it "The Eliminated". Here's one I'm just finishing that you described in your last post (sort of)-I know it's all incorrect for a "traditional" forum, but the guys on "Fordbarn" loved it.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Metaltwister like this.
  20. Awe, "the satin doll" - it smacks of unicorns in the field and butterflies landing on your nose doesn't it ?

21. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I think its bad ass! Ive been thinking about two tone and was wondering where to separate the colors. I really like how you ran the color up the A Pillar and across the visor. Might have a California car running around with the same lines but a different flavor. Thanks for the pics.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Convulsed with laughter is my guess...

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

Did a butterfly land on YOUR nose?Watch out for the unicorns- they're not housebroken! (Time for a bong break. )Anyway- back to topic- Thanks for the POSITIVE feedback, Mister Twister; it's nice to know SOME people have good taste! A twin on the West coast sounds good to me- no copyright on that.

Attached Files:

24. It's a very good looking hotrod,
    Just the naming of it is more fitting to-fairy-tail stories of princesses or puffy taffeta laden custom.

25. Being creative with photoshop could save the blue paint work. I've seen a few firewalls that I would have painted differently, then the final color scheme comes out....and I feel like a fool. Color schemes, and two tones have been pulled off on these cars forever......and I think your car has the same potential for same. Let's see some more pics, and if you're gonna' go crazy with the camera....a full monty would be good. Chassis, interior, better detail of front, sides, rear, engine......whatever floats your boat. Again......great car.

26. What's not traditional? The tires ? Looks pretty bad ass from here.....can't see a satellite radio or an Ipod mount.

27. missysdad1

missysdad1

In a couple of birthdays I'll be caught up with you two! I agree 100% with aagie! Heck, I've still got a couple of projects backlogged for when I get my coupster finished the way I like it.

Since we come from the same era of hot rodding, perhaps a suggestion or two from a similar perspective might be in order:

* Go with painted early Ford-style steelies and staggered tall/narrow tires.
    * Drop the nose so that the front tires nestle nicely into the fenders.
    * Go with a more conventional intake and carb(s) with cast iron OEM exhaust and under-car exhaust.
    * Leave all the nice under-car detailing just as it is, bright paint and all.
    * Leave the body just as it is and prime it with light gray lacquer primer, which looks good on hot rods and will look great with the turquoise.
    * Go with a SIMPLE interior. I'd go with straight black tuck 'n' roll to keep the car all business.
    * Drive. The accumulation of grunge on the bottomside will say more about your belief in the "traditional" nature of hot rodding than anything else.

Very nice car!

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you haven't got a mind of your own borrow somebody else's. Would like to help but all I got is rambling senile Bullshit.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  29. LONG

LONG

windshield in it and drive it. worry about tires and paint as time allows

30. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I think everyone has convinced me to do what I was leaning towards anyway. I'm going to lift the body off one more time and do my thing changing the blue to black on everything. Pull the engine and tranny and do a refreshing as its been sitting for 30 plus years. Not sure if valve springs sitting in one position for so long will make them go flat or not? I'm going to pull down the power glide and put new seals in it with a shift kit. That should get the juices flowing fast. I over built the engine... you know kid stuff! I threw a level 4 Crower cam in it and a gear drive, fuelly heads, etc. so Ive gotta at least run that tunnel ram through the lights a few times at the Antique Drags. I got all the old parts together in one pile last night so I at least know whats left to work with. I'm going to throw it back together on the cheap then start replacing stuff as the $$$$ permit.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    33sporttruck likes this.