Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ok. City Ok. dragstrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Mar 28, 2015.

1. I can't find the thread that showed the strip at the Ok. City fairgrounds. Any one have pics or know where it was. I was thinking south of the dirt track around Reno Rd. but cant see anything on historic aerials that look long enough to be a strip. Thanks.

2. Drag strip ran paralell to the railroad tracks in the Fairgounds..

3. Yep. That track ran east/west and parallel to Reno St. and the RR track. On the south end of the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds. Now it's open ground and parking...

4. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

Is that the track that hosted the NHRA Nationals in 1957 and 1958 ?

5. Yes, I was there too

6. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

The original (circa 1953) was in Moore. The pavement ended not far beyond the 1/4 mile mark!

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Wow, this thread is memories. I was there in 58 as a spectator with my new wife on our honeymoon from Shreveport La. There was also a car show along with the drags and a friend from Mansfield, La had his T bucket entered in that show but did not win.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Here ya go.

OKC starts at about 8.16. There is a berm that you can see on the south side that runs the length of the track. I think that's beside the railroad tracks. When they are shooting from the south side of the tracks you can see the circle track grandstands there.

When we went to the NSRA deal in the 90's you could still see the remains of the track between the campgrounds and the fairgrounds/circle track. I guess the circle track is also gone now. Watched some great motorcycle flat track racing there too.

Edit: I just looked at a map and it looks like the track ran right down what is now Gordon Cooper Ave. The starting line was close to North May Ave. and the track ran toward the west.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  9. Thanks Larry T for that video...brings back memories....also shows how far drag racing has come today

10. Thanks for the info guys. Cool video Larry T.