Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Ok in an attempt to be more helpful and less smart ass, how about 46 Chevy PU rear fenders, sort of matches the profile of the front fenders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WDobos likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Steve, OT but the first thing that came to mind was (IIRC) 40 Ford style fenders, not sure of the proportions, but I seem to recall a Ford truck with a Willis frontend on it, looked good.
    I think Leonard is on to something here, and with your glass skills I'd bet with a little slicing and dicing; you could make either one work.

3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here is another picture of that same fender if you are interested maybe you could ask one of the photo shop guys to place on the Gas Junkie picture for you to view. They are made by Superior Glass Works. They are located in Oregon.
    upload_2015-5-30_10-24-50.jpeg

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

37 Studebaker fenders look similar to the chevy fender.Most likely too long for your application though. There are better pictures of the Studebaker pickups on line but this was the only one I found with the same orientation as the other photos.
    37 c4C.jpg
    37 c4C2.jpg

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those Stude trucks are neat, a friend of mine has a Coupe Express, parts are pretty hard to find in the U.S. I can imagine they would be like chicken lips in the U.K.

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

:)

7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Early dodge fenders are the same shape as the Willys but will fit the slicks you have that's what I used

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433020020.701246.jpg

Tman likes this.
  8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, this is the style of fender I'm looking for, I'm not keen on the 40 swept back style.
    Thanks guys, as usual a great help

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Found these pics and they are exactly what i'm looking for

1211sr-10-z+1941-willys-pickup+.jpg

13602070325_42cc14bac5_b.jpg

Maz.jpg

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Looks a lot like bob'd Model A fenders
    [​IMG]

11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Those are all dodge truck fenders langy I have stock Willys ones but by the time they are radiused to fit the slicks you might as well get some trailer fenders lol. With the Willys fenders right next to the dodge ones they look to be the same shape just the dodge ones are on a bigger radius

12. Here is a friends pickup from local Gasser event on Saturday
    image.jpg image.jpg

langy likes this.
  13. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Langy, Thank you for sharing your talents and your time to take photos and describe what your process and thoughts are as you build. I am just blown away by your skills and work ethic. Hope to meet you someday, shake your hand and buy you a Cider. Take care and be safe.

langy likes this.
  14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks woodeye, glad you enjoying the ride so far.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not a great deal of progress recently mainly due to having a bursitis on my Achilles tendon so can't stand on it for too long but did manage a few bits & bobs.
    Firstly sorted a top hose out, its a stainless bend cut up and rewelded and has 2 short lengths of radiator hose and stainless clips, it got shot in satin black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got my coupe out of storage and someone mentioned the truck was much lower so I took this pic to compare them, not much difference really.

[​IMG]

I got to polishing the stainless bed strips as well (god awful job) and drilled the holes in them, i'm using rubber matting on the bed floor so had a trial fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got to thinking about rear fenders and had a good look around but couldn't find exactly what I wanted but then a pal Nick who owns Pro-Laminates came up with some glass ones, they are virtually perfect but needed slightly enlarging on the radius so a few cuts were made and they spread just enough, I will glass up the cuts next job, then I will cut them to add an inch in the width.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looks great Steve those fit the truck well Question on your bed did you buy the stake pocket pieces or did you make them I'm in the process of building a new bed for mine and was curious

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I got some more stainless rod so finished the grill trim.

[​IMG]

Pulled the fenders around a bit and re glassed the cuts I made, fit better now but gonna have to an inch in the width to bring them inine with the tyre groove, I want them to stick out a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WDobos likes this.
  18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I bought them Wrench, but can't remember where from ? they were only $25 each 37 chevy which are the same as Willys

19. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Right on thanks for the info

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not much done the last few days but I had been looking at the front of the hood and thought it looked bland, I didn't like the way the beltline trim finished square, It how the originals were so decided to bite the bullet and fit the original trim in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WDobos likes this.
  21. Jon Loar

Jon Loar

22. Jon Loar

Jon Loar

Hi Langy - I love the Willys bonnet emblem with the W in the circle, any idea where I can get one ?

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

It's a 1940 Willys trim, you can get them from Mike at Willys replacement parts

24. Jon Loar

Jon Loar

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not been on this recently but heres a small bit of progress [​IMG]
    My mate Jason popped in to see me and asked why the diff was on the floor so I explained that I couldn't fit it in my current predicament so being the good old boy he is offered to pop it into the case for me.
    For those that don't know the 9" diff is incredibly heavy at about 85lbs and are bloody heavy to fit when laid on your back under a car !!! Mine is slightly lighter as i've used a forged aluminium carrier case but still awkward to fit !!!

Here's the spec for anyone interested
    Speed-master case 356-T6 Aluminium big bearing thru bolt style
    31 spline Detroit TrueTrac limited slip diff
    3.55 Richmond gears
    Daytona aluminium pinion support
    Speed-Master cut to fit 30% stronger halfshafts

As this truck is only gonna have 400bhp or thereabouts I have used slightly less expensive but still quality parts as it don't really need anything better, This diff will still cope with 500bhp plus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the half shafts, No need for Strange Engineering shafts on this car so I decided to use a pair of Speed-Master 31 spline cut to fit shafts which come with 3 handy common stud patterns, they have 9" of spline so can be cut to fit just about any width axle and are 30% stronger than a stock axle.
    First job was to press in the 3" wheel studs, I've used Moroso 3" with open ended nuts as the guys at the track like to see some thread sticking through the wheelnut, these were pulled in place with a few washers a nut and a cordless impact driver.

[​IMG]

Next the length of the shafts was carefully measured and the shafts marked and the excess chopped off with a thin cutting wheel in a grinder, then the ends were chamfered and they were bolted in place.
    The 11" drum brakes will go on later when the case has been painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WDobos and loudbang like this.
  26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not much to post but heres a bit more progress, I wanted to get the bed floor mounted which involved drilling the bed sub frame for 8mm rivnuts, most of the rivnuts could be put in with ordinary rivnut pliers but the 2 in each corner were not so easy, I mentioned this to the guy at the fastener shop and he produced a rivnut tool for tight places, It just looked like a bolt to me with a sleeve and at £22 he could keep it !!! But I did take a few pics of it before I left :laughing:
    It basically is a 10mm set screw with a bit on the end turned down and threaded 8mm to accept the rivnut and a sleeve with 2 flats, 1/2 hour later I had my own one for nothing :laughing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 39 guy and kelzweld like this.
  27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Got fed up with sitting down on the sofa so did a bit of bench work last night, I bought the generator/alternator a while ago but hadn't got around to making the mount for it, this was a nice sitting down job [​IMG]
    I found a nice spot for it and noticed the flat area on top of the timing case was just about spot on, I haven't fitted the aluminium case yet so did a bit of measuring up and drilled & tapped 4 x 3/8" unc holes in it to accept a plate.
    Next the plate was made in 3/8" aluminium. I also cut up some 1" x 3/8" plate and welded on some ears for mounts. Then bolted the plate to the timing case, I slotted the bolt holes to allow a bit of adjustment for fine tuning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WDobos, 69fury and Ponti461 like this.
  28. 69fury

69fury

Damn, everything you do is slick! -rick

langy likes this.
  29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well she who must be obeyed has spoken [​IMG] and told me to put the truck away in the lockup for a few weeks so I can rest up my foot [​IMG] Sue said its too tempting to go outside and struggle to get stuff done [​IMG]

So my mates Brian & Steve popped around to move it for me, its the first time i've been able to stand back and eyeball the overall look & stance and i'm pretty happy with it [​IMG] It needs to come up an inch in the rear and about 1.5" in the front but thats easy as I already allowed for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kelzweld and WDobos like this.
  30. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

There is a woman that knows her man! I hope your forced convalescence is a short one ! Take care and heal well!

langy likes this.