Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Check out Racing Junk for a blow proof shield.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ric that's what they made wheel barrels for.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you change over to a tailshaft mount, you'll have to go to side mounts, too. Stock front mounts with a tailshaft mount makes the engine very unstable side to side.

If staying with stock mounts, Energy Suspension makes polyurethane biscuits for the stock front mounts. Couldn't find them on their website, but here's a link to a listing on what was formerly called "Classic Chevy Club" website. http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-engine-mounting-set-black-urethane-1955-1957.html

As far as a scattershield, try to find a Lakewood, if possible. Used ones show up regularly on Ebay. Ones for 58 and newer Chevys, (Lakewood [HASHTAG]#15000[/HASHTAG]), can be used, but the mounting ears have to be added. Actually, this is how Lakewood makes the scattershields for 55 - 57 Chevys. They take one for the 58 and newer full size Chevys, Chevelles, etc. and include the mounting ears for 55 - 57 Chevys. The mounting ears just bolt onto the scattershield. The bolt holes would have to be drilled in the newer scattershield. One possible problem with the newer Lakewood [HASHTAG]#15000[/HASHTAG]......It may not have the mounting bracket for the stock cross shaft bracket that bolts to the bellhousing. The older ones , (that I've used), have this welded to the scattershield. The new ones listed on Summits website, do not. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lak-15000

I've always used the stock motor mounts in my 55. Before going to the polyurethane front biscuits, I was regularly ripping the rear bellhousing mounts. The poly front mounts took care of this problem.

As far as I know, no one makes polyurethane rear motor mounts for 55 - 57 Chevys. I've seen where the stock mounts had holes drilled in them and long bolts run through to stiffen them up. Don't how good or bad this would work, since I've never tried it. The holes would probably have to be drilled with the engine in the frame, though????

By the way, here's one in the classifieds. Doesn't mention a block saver plate, though, and the ad is from last June.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...attershield-bellhousing-1955-57-chevy.978139/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  4. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very true. I remember those days well; always had to carry a spare rotor.

5. Smoothy

Smoothy

Would I see any issues with solid motor mounts and a rubber trans mount? The car won't be driven long distance very often at all, plus I think with the nasty idle on the cam I've got would make the car sit and shake quite nicely.

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

I run solid motor mounts and a rubber trans mount.Just don't try it the other way around!:)
    Also,a HAMBer found you a Lakewood bellhousing on his local Craig's list for $150,is that do-able for you?

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

By solid motor mounts, do you mean solid "SIDE", (1958 and newer style), motor mounts? Or the stock 1955 - 1957 front mounts? Solid or not, using the 1955 - 1957 front motor mounts with a tailshaft rear mount is not a good idea. The front mounts are just too close together to use a transmission tailshaft rear motor mount. This allows the engine to rock side to side too much, which can cause the mechanical throttle linkage and clutch linkage to bind up.

Do you already have a scattershield that can be used with a tailshaft motor mount? No matter what types of mounts are used, a scattershield bellhousing is needed with a stick shift.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  8. I ran solid engine mounts only for a while. After a few broken transmission tail shaft housings i added a solid mount to the trans. Problem solved. I never broke another one.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Smoothy

Smoothy

I haven't got any scattershields at the moment, just the stock bell housing.

But I'm not against converting to side mounts. I know on my dad's 57 that he runs one of those hurst front motor mount plates and it goes to the stock mounts in the front. He also runs a transmission crossmember mount. I haven't ever seen him have any problems with that setup, even when he had the Blown injected motor in the car.

10. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Hey Salty,

I am coming down to Springfield on Friday and a Lakewood bellhousing for a tri-five is number one thing on my list I am looking for for my '56. I have been looking for a used one for two years with no luck and this guy has everybody on the internet looking for one for him :(. I will look you up down there, how do I find you?

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will be the burnt out looking wood hippie with some 409 parts

powrshftr and Tickety Boo like this.
  12. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Wheelbarrow with Hore decals on the side. :p

It will be full of Chevy, Mopar, Ford, AMC and maybe even VW parts.

13. 62Furious

62Furious

Self discretion sounds about right upload_2016-2-10_13-40-16.jpeg Don't forget the piece beads and flip flops.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and saltflats like this.
  14. Nailed it, won't hurt a thing, you just get to feel the little beast living under the hood better

Smoothy and powrshftr like this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Norb how did you know I had VW parts too.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  16. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Cause your a good Car Hore, you might even find some kinky Datsun 280z stuff.

powrshftr likes this.
  17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Cause you've got one of everything James.....That's how you can magically fix ANYTHING.Cause you've owned them all at one time or another!

Scott

18. I'd do a Datsun 510!

Smoothy likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I don't have any Datsun parts but I do have a burnt up clutch that I just took out of a Alfa today.
    Note to self don't buy one of them.

powrshftr likes this.
  20. C/Gas Super Charged 55 Sedan Delivery! Don't show this to Kip, he'll sell his current 55 for $978 and start over.., AGAIN! C Gas Super Charged.jpg

21. Is this an old school rim screw job, or do I have spots on my retina's Rim screws.jpg

55belairx2, II FUNNY and loudbang like this.
  22. Impala gassers! Marc, check out the '60 Impala gassers.jpg

Tickety Boo likes this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I do have a good Datsun story if you want to hear it.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Looks like Ol Phil wasn't shy with the drill,may he rest in peace:(

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

If he does,I'll scrape up that $978 somehow!!!

Scott

II FUNNY likes this.
  26. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hell I have a Datsun 240 in the back yard but it does have a 327 Chevy in it lol fortunately it's not mine but I have done a bunch of work on it I would have called it the rotsun a year ago as it had more rust than sheetmetal but not now I could scrape up $978 bucks and will be on the road in 20 min to pick up that 55 lol

55belairx2, II FUNNY and powrshftr like this.
  27. Ric the South has their own way of doing things - don't bring your surfer attitudes down here :cool: so what if he missed the bead o_O

55belairx2 and loudbang like this.
  28. I'll beat ya to it !

II FUNNY and powrshftr like this.
  29. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Well, we have officially closed off registration....get ready to go back in time with 599 other cars, trucks, rails and bikes....

We will of course have a waiting list so when we have people who drop out we can slide someone into their spot. We were able to get quite a few people in last year that way...but it doesn't work too well if someone is working up to midnight the night before the event and then backs out ;)

I tell ya, it's been fun getting to see all of the pictures. There are going to be quite a few more wild AWB's and some neat, neat, neat old dragsters.

Only 22 weeks and a day boys!

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wish my Chevelle was as cool as the one in the back ground.
    And if there are $978 Chevys for sale count me in too.

55belairx2, II FUNNY and powrshftr like this.