Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hey Fellas!

Sorry I sorta dropped off the radar there,as was previously mentioned,I've been busy as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
    My Son was born a little over six weeks ago,and when he was 3 days old I left town to run a job up in Toronto.
    Miserable timing.
    On the bright side,I spoke with a guy up there who is a "friend of a friend" who wouldn't mind showing the new "Super 289" some love while I'm too busy working.
    I see you guys are all jumping ahead by leaps and bounds,and everybody's projects are really moving along.
    This year should be wild,with Big Jim getting things sorted out and cracklin,Ric and Marc getting the lead out and cutting some weight on The Child,a mean and nasty Cammer making its debut,and Kips 55 might even make it at the rate he's going!
    I'm hoping to bring along a Rick James impersonator to this year's event:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448406739.965331.jpg
    I'd like you all to meet Byron Donovan Archer.
    Yes,he's named after a racetrack and an engine block/crazy little driver of our favorite white Anglia...lol

2. I heart you Wenchtender.

powrshftr likes this.
  3. powrshftr

powrshftr

I agree......If there's anybody who can build the coolest shit on the planet,and just keep on turnin out more cool stuff,one after the other,it's Wrenchbender.Willys pickup,Willys sedan,digger,push/tow car with a blower and a 4 speed,not to mention an absolutely GREAT guy,and probably the most effective "scout" I have ever seen. (He found me a 65 fastback roller in roughly 12 hours.True story.)
    If I'm half as cool as that cat by the time I die,I will be doing O.K.!

Scott

saltflats likes this.
  4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Awe shucks lol I'm no better than anyone else here just trying to help others as I have been helped in the past Scott I give you hell just as you give it to me but its all in good fun and you are aces in my book mr pannenton you need to be at the meltdown this year plus I hear you are way closer than you once were plus I want a ride in the child anyhow enough of that to be honest I just set the blower on it for a pic and wasn't gonna put it on there cause this was supposed to be a tow rig now you clowns have made me gather up the crap to do it lol it will be very tame but for some reason I just can't see the car without it now not sure I'll bring the Willys cause it's goin in for some bodywork and detail and I don't think I can swing all of it by meltdown so I decided the digger is a must his year

powrshftr likes this.
  5. 62Furious

62Furious

Well I am glad every one is progressing on there projects, ended last year with a bent push rod and rocker stud, pulled the heads off and sent them to the machinist to check out and have some work done, hope to get them back soon.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I could not agree more Scott
    Jackson has my vote for H.AM.B.er of the year.
    Anyone that can put up with me and my crew is alright by me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    powrshftr likes this.
  7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Seriously considering swapping the gas carbs for alcohol. I have a buyer locally for the gas 650s and a set of alky carbs from Pro-systems are within budget if the others sell. Might solve my overheating concerns as well as reduce the performance loss in the oppressive heat we've had the last 2 years in Byron. Maybe pick up a tenth while I'm at it.

I'm not raising the compression from the current 8.14 - 1 and will likely stay with the non-Teflon converted GMC 6-71 blower - just a carb and fuel swap

Can't bring myself to a full swap to injection. I've spent too much time and money on the fuel system carb setup to tear it out now. Anyone have comments on alcohol / carb set up with a blower ?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. Should be a bunch better, if for no other reason than reduced air inlet temps from the non intercooled, not Teflon stripped blower.

9. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I think the problem is you have been getting screwed at the border on the exchange rate. You are tryin' to run that Canadian engine which is thinking liters (er...or litres?) on US air in Byron. You need to either convert your engine to US or bring your own fuel and air. If I were you, I would go straight to Nitro 'cause you get a better exchange rate. ;)

Seriously.. Go to Alky!! Do I have to come up there and pour it in the tank myself? The tuning window is huge and you can pour the fuel to it and it runs the same. Keep fattening it up until the temp gauge stays on cold then back it off a little. You use more fuel but it is cheap. At least it is here in the US.

Happy Thanksgiving... errr.. opps.. I missed it didn't I 'cause you guys had it last month? It's Thanksgiving here and the booze helps me post better...LOL.

10. Saxxon

Saxxon

Sooo... the 2 guys whose tuning opinion I respect the most are telling me to go alky...
    Guess I'm going alky for 2016

Exchange rate - seriously. The Canadian dollar is at .75 to the US dollar. That means credit card purchases ate being exchanged at .70 or worse... for you mathematically challenged - that mean a purchase from the US valued at $1000 will cost me at least $1300 + duty and tax

I have a new found respect for anyone who builds in Europe or Australia and the like...

fast30coupe and Bad Banana like this.
  11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Saxxon go for the alky but instead of carbs just put an injector on it and be done with it you won't regret it

Bad Banana likes this.
  12. Dave... I offered those pulleys to ya... LOL

13. I'd bigger carbs too. I'm assuming your already set up for 4150's, so I'm talking 950-1050's. You don't want the carbs becoming the restrictor. Besides, you know your gonna end up with more engine/blower sooner or later anyways. Big bowls too, since you need more fuel column available

14. .., either that, or get a Hilborn 4 port upright.

15. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I wished I could tell you all about my car progress ,but I put in a reservation for about 25 degrees cooler this year, unless someone else has another idea.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That weather last year is normal weather for us every summer.
    I would take a weekend at the track with this weather any day over just sittin at home.

17. Dave1946

Dave1946

18. I just got my copy of Hot Rod Deluxe! Nice coverage!

30dodgeboy and squirrel like this.
  19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Have a few things to do on my 55. New clutch and headers. The 4 speed needs going through, too. Those things will have to wait for next spring, though.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  20. Dave1946

Dave1946

Bob W. was a great guy again and offered to let me bring his Crosly altered to the party.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  21. I put up the @#$%&+=k'n Christmas lights again.., so I can go to said Meltdowns

ME.GASSER likes this.
  22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL!!!

23. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks for link

24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Meltdown coverage in hot rod Deluxe is great hell they even caught the first time the Willys pulled a wheel off the ground woohoo

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  25. I'm also moving to North Carolina, so I don't have to drive so dang far, be weary, have my brother out drive me, then listen to every frichen thing coming out of Jeff Koopenwhatshisnames mouth being flavored with some horses ass comment about be out driven by my brother Marc.. I'll also be able to hone my gasser skills with plenty of outings with the South East Gassers, and since I'm trying to be a kinder, gentler fellow, if I live in a colder area (during the winter), maybe I won't make so many snide remarks about all the poor bastards living in the North East, while I bask in the California weather.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    stealthcruiser and loudbang like this.
  26. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Hope you put some antifreeze in the Child.:eek:

Your average low in January is 25 your record low 1-21-85 was -9 :cool:

Easy to forget in a race car after drained for Byron.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  27. Ya I know, my sunny California smack talk days are numbered.

30dodgeboy and sonic03bluegt like this.
  28. Saxxon you can get up to nine percent more power from alchohol if its burned at the proper temp. Get a pyrometer in the header and tune it around 1220-1250 degrees. There is also the added benefit of cooling the incoming charge that is normally preheated. I agree with the injection. Its the way to go. The tank will need to go upfront. The tank outlet needs to be higher than the pump inlet due to being gravity fed. Running a high low system with a enderle k valve is the hot set up. i like the four ports. i have one on my coupe thats set up for efi. the only problem with them is they have a crude barrel valve. a hilborn e-model thats modified to move the barrel valve to the left side or a enderle bug catcher will allow you to run the high low setup. this setup allows you to send a percentage of fuel above the blower at idle. this helps keep the blower cool. anything off idle the rest of the fuel goes in below the blower. two fuel blocks are needed and a high speed lean out is highly recomended.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    fast30coupe likes this.
  29. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Trying to decide between a 9" and Pontiac/Olds rear for the future. Looking for something a set up to hold up to a good 700 hp. running an 8.8 ford now and could build that up but really want a correct type rear in the car. Was thinking 35 spline axles,spool for both and backbrace anything else i'm missing?

30. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Quick promotional item...this was also posted on Facebook.

It is the holiday season and nothing says you care like buying someone some Meltdown Drags items.

You can buy shop jackets, shirts, hats, sweatshirts and even the 2014 event DVD.

We heard that diamonds are out this Christmas and pink ladies Meltdown sweatshirts are in...

If you missed this year's event, don't miss this chance to purchase your Meltdown memorabilia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262169279138…

Thank you and happy holidays!

BigDrag and powrshftr like this.