Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon

That didn't take long...

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Larry:
    The power of my new motor exceeded the strength of my un-boxed stock style spring perches,and the rear housing rotated up,and came forward to jam the slicks into the quarter panels.

After thrashing all morning Saturday,we were able to get the car back together and rolling under its own power,but I was reluctant to put any more launches on the bent perches and stretched u-bolts,so we left it on the trailer.

Here's some really grainy cell phone video of "the incident"....lol

Scott

Ok,tried to upload a video,can't seem to make it work.
    Anybody got tips for uploading video with the mobile app...?

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Scott sorry you had such bad luck.

The only thing I broke was a fingernail and my speed record for the car.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

BigDrag thanks for the ink.

BigDrag and loudbang like this.
  5. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

Good to meet you! Next year we will have to have our kids line up and Hammer down!

loudbang, Tickety Boo and Gammz like this.
  6. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Took a while but we have finally processed everything that we saw and did this weekend.
    We would like to give you all a heart felt thank you for welcoming us into this great community. From the first hand shakes from total strangers to high fives from other racers and spectators it was amazing.
    My father could not believe how cool everyone is. And how much a person can learn coming to events like this. Thank you. Wyatt has already been all over the web sourcing us a new project for 2017. We have created a very cool monster. Thank you.
    To all 600 race cars and the Meltdown crew and track officials and volunteers Thank you from the very bottom of our hearts for one of the best weekends we have had in a very long time. These will be lifetime memories we will cherish.

7. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Did you make anymore passes saturday?

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Scott, sorry to hear that...

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well Scott I know it is hard to believe but sometimes our FORD tuff stuff can break! Nothing is a 100% perfect . Hell this kind of things happen to Chevy guys all the time!!!!:rolleyes: lol Larry

10. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

Not on Saturday. Carly got to make a couple of passes on Saturday. Car ran like crap because of some timing issues. We will sort it out, install the new carb she won at the Meltdowns and be ready to go next year!

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My hat is off for the Meltdown crew and the Byron Dragway for there tiring effort to put this show on for us and honored you guys let me come and play.

12. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

I second that! To the guys who put on the show...THANK YOU!!!! only thing is now you may have to change the slogan to..." For the guys AND GALS who get it!"

91whitestang and Tickety Boo like this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

The Meltdown is by far the best show I have attended (this was my 4th year) and the MDA and the track officials and the participants all deserve a lot of kudos. Not only is the racing and spectating great fun but the friendships are great as well.

Scott worked his tail off to get the car on the track but the gremlins may have got the upper hand this year. I bet next year he will make a few impressive passes. The car certainly sounds healthy.

Gammz did a fine job and especially when his only prior passes were on 8th mile tracks. I talked to him in the staging lane prior to his first 1/4 mile run and he was cool and did great. His car ran good and consistent.

Fun watching Jackson (Wrenchbender) with his new rail and James (Saltflats) and other Hambers as well as other good friends that are not Hambers. Can't wait for next year.

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I didn't introduce myself but I was one of the guys that helped push your car onto the trailer in the staging lanes. ( I was the old fat guy that said "Oh there's your drive shaft" when it fell out just as the car stopped on the trailer.) Anyways REALLY cool car you have there. I think you were talking with my brother too, he had the "Disorderly Conduct" 65 Falcon He only got to make one pass in it too due to some gremlins.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and powrshftr like this.
  15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Jim it was great seeing you again the Corvette looked fantastic as always Saltflats the ol 409 sure ran good nice pic by big drag by the way

Bob (62furious) that big ol dodge is just too kool

Gammz sorry man I wanted to get over there and shake your hand that little car runs hard for such a simple car

Scott maybe you should lay off the koopenslinger powrshifting exercises lol I gotta say that ol mustang will be a force to reckon with for sure I know I swallowed my pride and took a little ride in it and man that thing is crisp if it runs as good as it sounds and feels for that matter it will be badass

Most importantly the meltdown staff my hat is off to you guys I have been to the last three and it just gets better every year I had one of the meltdown crew ask if there was anything that they could do better and I was speechless I am sure there was stuff you guys dealt with that you thought was terrible but as an racer and spectator I couldn't see it however you do what you do just keep it up cause it works and works damn good thanks for allowing me and my group of clowns to be a part of this magical thing called "Meltdown drags"

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

This was my first year. I had 2 friends with, there first time also. We camped 2 days, met some great people in the campground and pits. I had a racer let me set in his 55 chevy, I think I got bit by something, the gasser bug.

Brian (racerx) you have a amazing car. Thanks for answering my stupid questions. I know very little about Nitro.

Meltdown crew, Thanks for the hospitality and I will see you again next year. You do a amazing job.
    Thanks Tony

17. stupesnova

stupesnova
    from wisconsin

Ok guys I see a trend here and that is the Meltdown guys do an AMAZING job! I am sure there were some things that did not go as planned but I NEVER saw any of the staff complaining about anything! ( remember NO F**KING WHINING!!!!) I hope this event keeps on going because as Koop has said we need to pass on the traditions or they will be forgotten! I for one have passed on that tradition to my daughter! She was VERY excited to be there and see all of the cars that were the REAL DEAL as well as the "tribute cars" like hers is. She is already bending my ear to make some changes so her car will be more "CORRECT" Again THANK YOU guys for being so supportive to a 15 year old girl and her "old man"!!!!!!

Swamp Rat 4, loudbang, Gammz and 3 others like this.
  18. from myself and my fellow Tin Butchers club members who help with the swapmeet section,..we'd like to thank the Meltdown crew for letting us be a part of this great event.
    .....it's a priviledge to work with such a great group of guys.
    Excellent event and glad the "Sky Boss" blessed us with great weather all three days.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 20160716_190816.jpg 20160716_164916.jpg 20160716_135755.jpg 20160716_193422.jpg 20160716_184644.jpg 20160716_193750.jpg Only took a few. Heres what i have. Its been said many times that the md crew did a great job but i need to say it too. I didnt think it could get better than last year because it was so good. What a amazing event.

BigDrag, Torkwrench, oldsjoe and 5 others like this.
  20. loudbang and stupesnova like this.
  21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Dan Ricks was another photographer that was there. He doesnt have them up on his website yet.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Thanks again MDA and Byron for a great weekend. First time for the Falcon at the Meltdown. Last year at the Hunnert it was on the track for the first time with a best of 14.32 et. This weekend it went the best of 12.64 et at 104mph. Thanks for letting us come and play.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The first 362 days are always the hardest.

24. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

We had a great time , the only complaint was the wait at the burger stand was pretty long on the spectator side, but still a wonderful event and a great show.

25. to include our nations vets in the show was very classy thing to do. very moving.

26. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Gammz, I was glad to see how much fun your son was having. Was also glad you overcame all your troubles leading up to the event and had a good weekend. Sorry it didn't work out for us to race on the last pass on Saturday evening. I am not sure what went wrong but Dad was in my car and the crewed lined him up against that 61 Chevy.

To the Meltdown Crew, Not much can be said that hasn't already, but thinks for putting on this deal for all of us. Heck of a good time and I can't wait to return. Hopefully someday I can build me a period correct car to bring that is actually fast.

loudbang, stupesnova and Swamp Rat 4 like this.
  27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's another big Thank You to the MDA. Had a great time on Saturday and Sunday. Wanted to get over there on Friday, but was working on my 59 GMC until about 9pm.

The "Parade of Cars" made for a nice addition, this year. It was very interesting to hear the history of each one. The pit area went really well this year, too. It only took a few short minutes to go from checking in at the gate to getting to where I was pitted. I'll be back again next year.....With a new rear axel.

loudbang and Tickety Boo like this.
  28. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

"Car Show Aaron" posted these to the Meltdown's facebook page, nice shots of your car.
    13738141_1644462329200998_8611755194858746701_o.jpg
    13723862_1644463335867564_7562015340850496386_o.jpg

loudbang and rawcjw19 like this.
  29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Are there any other vintage drag events this year in the northern Illinois and Wisconsin area?

30. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

If not there should be before winter sets in!

0NE BAD 51 MERC and stupesnova like this.