Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Ocean City Md.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcsfabrication, May 6, 2016.

1. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wondering if any one has gone to the spring Ocean City extravaganza?
    I've never been, but have a good opportunity to go this year (May 20 through 22).
    Is it worth the ride?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I grew up in MD but I haven't been back to OC in at least a decade or more. I'd be curious to know since I still visit family about an hour or so from there. That said, I've never heard of this event. Do you have any information or links to it?

3. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can Google Ocean City rod run, I think, and it comes up. I have a friend that has a summer home down there, and I've been invited the last couple years. Just never had the opportunity before. Supposed to do it in the fall also, and he says the late one is better, but spring is good. He's really a Harley guy, but is into hot rods too.

4. Your friend is right. The Fall one is a little more reserved with fewer "tuner cars" and jacked-up diesel trucks. Guess it depends on what you like to look at. The Spring event has gotten almost out of control with quite a few accidents (mostly rear-enders) from distracted drivers. Take it for what it is, they do get a large turn-out with the main event down at the inlet parking lot and various other mini-shows going on at places around town. Traffic is hideous and frankly the best thing to do might be to sit in a lawn chair with a cooler and watch the "show" go by on Ocean Highway. I have avoided going to the Spring event for a number of years, not only because of the negatives, but simply because it's the same week-end as the Jalopy Showdown at Latimore Valley Fairgrounds, Pa. I prefer not to miss this get together where there are lots and lots of "real" hot rods. Just my thoughts. A free room is hard to turn down though.

pat59, oldskool2949, wraymen and 2 others like this.

5. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I've been to several shows there, both spring and fall. Several thousand cars registered for the shows, and lots more there just to raise hell. The organizers really put on a good show. There's a morning "Boardwalk Parade", and two locations for the cars. The "Inlet", and the Convention Center. Lots of really good restaurants, plus all the vendors along the Boardwalk. I'm not driving the Plymouth to the upcoming O.C. show though. I decided I'm staying local, and attending the "Ultimate Gearhead Car Show here in Bloomsburg .

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

https://www.specialeventpro.com/cruisin-ocean-city

May 19-20-21-22, 2016

[​IMG]

Get ready for one of the hottest hot rod shows on the East Coast, the 26th Annual Cruisin Ocean City, as it returns to the beachside resort town of Ocean City Maryland, May 19-20-21-22. This nationally recognized event attracts more than 3,500 customs, hot rods, street machines, classics and more from over 20 states plus Canada.

Special guest at this year’s Cruisin, from the hit TV show "Vegas Rat Rods," custom car builder Steve Darnell will be at the event Friday and Saturday. As the mastermind behind all the builds at Welder Up Steve will be on site to talk about all of his wild creations, Friday inside the OC Convention Center and Saturday at the beachside Inlet. Also joining in on the fun, television and movie star Alexandra Paul, best known for her role as “Lt. Stephanie Holden” on “Baywatch” and loved by car enthusiasts for her role as Leigh in the horror masterpiece “Christine.” Alexandra will be at the event Friday at the beachside Inlet and Saturday at the OC Convention Center. Plus make sure to check out the 1958 Plymouth Fury "Christine Show Car," which will be on display inside the OC Convention Center Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. This beauty just graced the cover of Mopar Magazine and is sure to be a show stopper.

Some of the country’s top national names will be showcasing their products in the manufacturers midway at the Inlet parking lot including Advance Auto Parts, Axalta Coating Systems, Chevrolet Performance Division, Eckler Industries, Flaming River, Flowmaster, GEICO, Goodmark, Grundy, Holley Performance, K&N Filters, March Performance, Meguiar's, Miller Electric Welding, OPTIMA Batteries, QA1 Precision, Radley Chevrolet, Ridetech Suspension, Ron Francis Wiring, Slide-Lok, Speed Unlimited, State Farm, Summit Racing, Tremec Transmissions and Wissel & Walsh Insurance. At the Convention Center there will be House of Kolor, Treasured Motorcar Services plus many other vendors selling automotive merchandise along with arts, crafts, jewelry, t-shirts plus other specialty items both inside and outside.

Back by popular demand be sure to check out The Doo Wop Project live in concert Thursday, May 19th at the Ocean City Performing Arts Center (located inside the OC Convention Center)! This show features stars from the Hit Broadway shows “Jersey Boys” and “Motown the Musical!” Hear some of your favorite songs by Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, Four Seasons, Michael Jackson, Jason Mraz and more! This will be an evening of Legendary songs you won’t want to miss! The doors open at 7pm and show time is 8pm. Tickets are $25 and $35 and can be purchased by calling the Ocean City Box Office 1-800-OC-OCEAN, Ticketmaster 1-800-551-SEAT or clicking here. Cruisin Participants get $5 off concert tickets if purchased before May 1st (Use the code SALE5). For more information on the concert visit www.oceancityconcerts.com.

Express Auctioneers will be returning to Cruisin Ocean City Thursday May 19th and Friday May 20th for the OC Collector Car Auction inside the OC Convention Center. For more information on the auction call #410-243-9999 or visit OCCollectorCars.com

Click HERE for 50% off your Express Auction consignment fee(s)! Upon successful auction sale of your vehicle(s), the other 50% of your consignment fee will be refunded! Enter the special code SEP50 at checkout. See website for details.

NEW this year there will be a Cruisin OC SWAP MEET Friday and Saturday inside the Convention Center. This is a great chance to buy, sell, or trade your car parts and collectibles! There are still spaces available. To reserve yours call 410-798-6304.

Lots of car shows will be taking place at the Convention Center Parking Lot and the Inlet parking lot plus several more at various business locations in Ocean City and West Ocean City including Crab Alley, Gold Coast Mall, Harpoon Hanna’s, Hooters, Phillips Crab House, Seacrets, Tanger Outlets and the Town of Berlin. Awards will be selected by various businesses, town representatives, community leaders, event sponsors and others.

Additional Cruisin Ocean City highlights are the special Boardwalk Parades that will take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings

Staging beings at 27th street on the boardwalk and the parades begin at 8am from North Division Street going south to the inlet.

On Sunday the Grand Finale Awards will take place at the Beachside Inlet. Before Cruisin comes to an end there will be more than 500 trophies, plaques and awards presented plus over 3,000 giveaways.

There is so much to see and do at this year's event so make sure to mark your calendars for May 19-20-21-22, 2016 and cruise on down to Ocean City Maryland for the 26th Annual Cruisin Ocean City.

Please note the town of Ocean City has implemented a new trailer parking ordinance which prohibits trailer parking on city streets from May 1st – October 31st. Any Cruisin participants that will be parking a trailer on city streets will need a trailer parking permit. For more information on trailer parking please click here.

The State Highway Administration is currently milling and resurfacing Coastal Highway between 62nd Street and the DE Line. Weather permitting, they intend to complete this road work before the start of Cruisin 2016. For updates on road conditions please call City Hall at 410-289-8221.

For additional information email [email protected] or call 410-798-6304.

For vendor or Swap Meet information email [email protected]

Schedule and features are subject to change.

GeezersP15 likes this.
  7. Got to agree with Don. Went once 2 years ago and its fine if your not there to do just car stuff. It's insane with traffic and jack asses in their tuner cars and jacked up trucks. Just go to the Latimore. way more fun and not a turbo Honda for miles!!!

8. I no longer go to O.C. The show is good, however to many jerk offs, drunks,tuner crap, and just plain idiots driving around. They do get some wild pro street cars if that is your thing.

Scooterville and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Having grown up on the Eastern Shore, I'm not surprised terribly. But this is kinda the normal scene for OC anyway. The kids down there really only have crap like Fast & Furious to go on for car culture and big trucks are just A THING down there like anywhere else down South or Southwest.

Growing up on the bay side of the peninsula, I can probably count on one hand how many pre-50's cars I saw before my late teens let alone actual Hot Rods. They scrapped EVERYTHING down there during the war. So, I saw a few Muscle Cars, mid to late 70's econocubes and sports cars... Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazard, Munsters, etc... So, they just need A EJUCASHUN!

10. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking the free room, and having a good Ocean City guide might just make it a fun weekend. Gonna give it a try.
    Thanks again to all.

11. That could be true no matter where you are. There are plenty of nice cars on the eastern shore and some great events. Spring OC is a circus but you will see some nice cars and its worth the trip if you have never been before. I personally have not been in years because as others have said Latimore is great.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I'll be there vending inside the convention center...Get there Wed to unload and set up. This one is a bitch vending inside as you have to unload at the dock and wheel it in . I have a 4 wheel cart but could use a "helping "hamber" hand" unloading Wed afternoon...if anyone interested PM me...takes about an hour with help, about 3 without and the pay will buy you a dinner... $25 per helper for an hours work...ain't bad.

13. The Spring Cruisin OC was pretty good. Sure, there was no shortage of tuners and trucks (and plenty of cops on the prowl) but there are a ton of rods. The weather was great Weds-Fri and a good time had by most. The Fall Show is in early October and should be a good time.

14. Defiantly a bucket list show I'm still dreaming...... Hobo Jim

15. welderup!

welderup!

Used to do spring and fall OC cruise in every year. Last 2 times had over heating issues because its asshole to elbow with dumbasses. First over heated my 62 lesabre, then my 58 Delray. Swore I'd never go back, and never have. Like others said it's alot of young punks, and rich guys with button up shirts than won't so much as look at you. Plus the cops have gotten so militarized you can't even do anything. A u-turn with a spool will get you a ticket.

When I was younger there were burnouts and quick 0-30 blasts, but it got ruined because of schmucks and idiots. Haven't been in years but my mom and step dad go every year, they are vendors aswell. Heard it was more of the same this year.

16. 8th straight year for me. Every car imaginable. Not everyone's cup of tea, but variety is the spice of life.

17. azsnow

azsnow

I went this year, not for the show, but because it was my wife's birthday...the show just happened to be at the same time! Friday was great, it rained Saturday, and drizzled Sunday. A lot of tuners and diesel trucks, but also a ton of very cool cars! This was my first visit as I am a west coast guy, and I have to say it was a pretty good show! I'd do it again for sure!