Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage drag boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418479962.373575.jpg
    Here's a pic of me in moonshine

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

That boat is sweet....

3. This is one of the best shots ever of the "Clmax" Sanger. Drag Boat (137).jpg

4. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447914346.878555.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447914376.796206.jpg

Been working on this thing for 10 years and almost have all the parts to finish her up. Dang boat is the reason my coupe is still sitting, patiently waiting her turn.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I picked up this 75 rayson craft a few months back. Original gelcoat blue metalflake ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447933007.903769.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447933046.436885.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447933071.687894.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447933131.337616.jpg

6. glempan

glempan
    from Sweden

Test run of the new engine, 1971 Mandella with 454 engine.

Ron Funkhouser and Moriarity like this.
  7. Fedman

Fedman

8. The Hemi Guy

The Hemi Guy

Here is my 1966 Hallett Flat bottom V-drive drag boat that I am restoring. Installing a Chrysler 392 HEMI engine with 6-71 Mooneyham blower ( water cooled) plus Powerglide gearbox. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser and Moriarity like this.
  9. I just sent Dale another colored pic of the boat. I'll post it here but not on the Hamb much anymore.

10. Please post it if you have a moment as I'm lending my support as well with the resto of this historic boat. I'm wondering if the Dale you are referring to is my brother who is assembling the engine.

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I traded for this one- it's a '70 aquacraft with a 70 455 olds with E heads- I've been working on getting it back to how it should be- had moroso valve covers and Edelbrock triangle foam air cleaners etc... Both saddle tanks and caps were out. It had a 80/90's era wheel. So far it's been the funniest family purchase I've ever made- my wife and little girl love it! We've been out on the water almost every week since we got it sometime 2-3 times a week! So fun! - it rips too...

I checked off everything on my list for this summer- next step is to restore the trailer. I have a pair of M/T mags and checker wall sidewall tires. Then I'll rebuild the seats like it was setup originally.
    Tuck

NoSurf and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

My buddy died and left his finished bucket list item for his widow to liquidate
    He talked about building the Beismeyer flat bottom for 20 years, and it was one of the last things he restored.

Attached Files:

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Lance,
    Here is something you might like. A clip that is part 1 of 3 from a movie that I took in 1967 at the Long Beach Marine Stadium. We were out for a hot summer show and it was a doozy. Drag boats, bikinis, twin motors, the pits, eliminations, unusual security, all in one hot day at the stadium. Hope everyone likes the action.
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

Ron Funkhouser, Mark Hinds and Tuck like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    More to come later this week...
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I put a "say why and" cross ram and a pair of 450 holleys on mine the other day[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

What are you gonna run on the carbs? Custom scoops? Scoop? That thing looks like a thick little (big) bulldog in that boat-

17. jnaki

jnaki

Part 2:

Hello,

After filming drag racing from 58-60, a stint in 64, I borrowed my dad’s camera once more to film a day at the boat drags in 1967. The Long Beach Marine Stadium was a perfect place to film as the pits were right there and the stands gave the spectators an outstanding view of the races. Unless the wind comes up early, the Marine Stadium waters were usually smooth and perfect for the flat bottom and hydro hulls. In Long Beach, the prevailing west winds usually pipe up in the early afternoon and stay pretty strong on the average.

These were some of the same drag racers that raced at the dragstrips and were the hero drivers of the fast boats. Some of the motors were the same and others had another marine version built just for the boat drags. The early technology was something that owners of pleasure ski boats were able to use on their own hulls. With the advent of big, powerful, stock motors in these lightweight hulls, the speeds were outrageous. The wind hitting your face as you accelerate, while bouncing over wakes and currents was really something. My friend had a 18 foot Howard hull ski boat with a big block Ford motor in it. it was fast and the motor sounded like you were sitting in an A/Gas dragster at the strip.

It was pretty amazing that more boats did not flip as they bounced side to side, as well as up and over small wakes. Add this action to extreme acceleration…was a recipe for something we would not like to experience.

But, it was a hot, fun day of watching the racers, races and spectators at the stadium.

Jnaki

18. jnaki

jnaki

Part 3

Hello,

Part 3 of the boat drags shows the last blown hydro starting procedure in the water. One hand squirt the primer, one hand steer, one foot on the accelerator, now you are off and running. Check out the security people at this historic event at the Long Beach Marine Stadium in 1967.

I was fortunate enough to be able to drive my friend’s Ford powered, Howard Hull in the ocean and at the Parker Dam. It was exciting to say the least. But, in Long Beach, I was also able to be pulled around the harbor on my surfboard as a big water ski. It was easy cutting back and forth carving the wake. But, making a turnabout at speed was something to be desired on the longboard, especially if you are standing on the nose hanging 10 and the driver makes the turnabout without any warning. Faceplants…

We had a bet that I could not single ski the first time at the Parker Dam/Colorado River waters. I was all set and ready to go from the shoreline. The bet was that I could not stand up and ski from the shore on a single ski. Gas money for the ski trip was at stake. I had never been on a water ski before. (Teenage prowess battles…) I knew I could do it and when he started slowly accelerating, I was up and moving well. Then all of a sudden, the owner did not want to lose the bet, so he jumped on the throttle and my iron grips pulled me forward, face first into the water. There were laughs all around, of course.

I did single ski out in the water and the argument lasted the whole ski vacation about whether I won or not. To this day, I did win in my book. But the skiing behind these hulls propelled by high performance motors was a thrill I will never forget.

Thanks,

Jnaki part 3 long beach marine stadium drag boat races.

Ron Funkhouser and Mark Hinds like this.
  19. Looking for photos or info on a flatbottom drag boat I owned.
    Supposedly a national record holder in 64-65? Unblown class.

1964 Howard. Nicson equipped. Powered by a 1963 Ford 427 low riser with dual inline Holleys on a low rise intake. May have been white when raced. Tandem axle trailer with chrome Astro slot wheels and chrome fenders.

I bought it at the Pomona Swap Meet in the 1980's. Was painted black and had a silver "Raiders" football logo that covered the deck. Converted to a ski boat so had 4 seats with the back 2 crowded into the chrome Bassett over transom headers that were probably added when converted. Interior was silver with black piping.

This boat and trailer are the exact style.
    00 1964 Howard boat like mine.jpg

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

55Deso, Ron Funkhouser and Tuck like this.
  21. Looking for an original copy of the 1968 Mooneyes catalog. Restoring Dean Moons "Moonshine" and would be nice to have catalog to go along with all the other history with this boat.

22. firstdust

firstdust
    from California

Lance. I remember a blown hydro during that time called the Grimm Reaper. The one I remember was green I think. We looked at it when it was for sale around '74 or so. Maybe it was in San Gabriel Valley. Any of that sound familiar?

23. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Can anyone help me identify this hull? I know it's a '66...not sure of the manufacturer. Haven't located anything that gives clues regarding its manufacturer.

20171021_162906.jpg 20171024_211713.jpg 20171023_120119.jpg 20171023_120051.jpg 20171022_160106.jpg 20171021_162640.jpg

24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If you haven't already go to Scream & Fly V-Drive forum or V-DriveBoats, post pic's, ask the question...........................................................

25. Steven Bastardi

Steven Bastardi
    from Florida

Just one more Vintage Drag Boat . This is my 1978 Cole Drag Hydro"Quarter Flash" purchased in June of 2017. Originally from Reno NV in the early 80's. Does anyone remember this boat? More details at www.dragboatfever.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa, this is heavy!

27. Dangerous47

Dangerous47

Finally a thread I can play in!

My 78 Cougar "bubble deck"
    Screenshot_2018-01-30-01-27-19.png Screenshot_2018-01-30-01-25-51.png Snapchat-929581912.jpg

28. firstdust

firstdust
    from California

[/QUOTE]
    IMO, and I was there, the small boats died when Southern Californians stopped water skiing. I saw this firsthand in the late 60s and early 70s at The River. The people who skied mainly went to Parker and below and used flatbottoms and the like. The people who drank only went to Havasu and used Daycruisers. It's only gotten more that way since then. I rarely see anyone at Havasu who even has a ski in their boat. It's just a place for dunks, whores and cash d*ck swingers.

dryhoze1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^ Wow, 3 posts in 9 years, can't wait for your next 2 cents, smileyface! ^^^^^^

30. firstdust

firstdust
    from California

Thanks for stalking!

dryhoze1 and chryslerfan55 like this.