Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t: 302 in a 69 Datsun truck...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Okay, so I'm planning on this swap, and right now my biggest concern is the torsion bar suspension. I'd love to just get an aluminum block to settle the added weight thing, :D, but I'm more curious about the effect of said added weight on the torsion bars.

A torsion bar snapping would be pretty fucked... and if I was at speed... ouch.

Can (SHOULD) a spring shop re-temper these things?
    Or am I just being crazy paranoid?

Anything else???

2. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Do you think this board is made up of mechanical engineers with the time to figure out your individual off topic questions about overstressed suspension components that could cost you or a loved ones life upon failure simply to appease your cheap ass desire to get a decent power to weight ratio? Let's watch and see.

3. Freq2002

Freq2002

2 things: one, you're nuts, two, thats not always a bad thing. :p

Psychotic as it may be, it's been done many times, saw loads of them in the late 80's when mini-trucks were all the rage. The Chevy Luv is a more common recipient of this swap that I have seen personaly. Done right they make killer little drag trucks, but are WAY too squirrely to drive on the road safely.

Get rid of the stock tortion bars, possibly the arms as well, use something out of a heavier truck with a similar design. Ford Ranger maybe? And add either coil overs or air bags to offset the difference. you'll have to beef the frame to take the power anyway, so there's the perfect time to re enforce the mounts and replace the tortion bars.

Since you're playing with a Datsun here tho, how about swappin in a I-6 Turbo out of a 280Z instead,... Keep it to form and it would probably be as fast if not faster, as well as less of a shoe horn job.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the torsion bars will be the least of your worries. I drove a 73 datsun pickup from 79 til about 1992 when I made it into a trailer.

first off.. the 4 wheel drum brakes are not up to snuff even with a 4 cylinder.... then add to that that these trucks are front heavy even in stock condition.. I used to get going and crank the wheel as fast as I could... the truck would skid for about 5 feet before the wheels caught and the truck actually turned. this was with the 4 cyl.

I say go for it. the torsion bar will NEVER snap. just ain't gonna happen...

the problems you will encounter will be bad brakes and poor handling. if you are going to put a ford in it be prepared to cut out a big part of the firewall, along with moving the radiator forward and not beig able to run a conventional fan.

as for the frame.. these are fully boxed. that frame is tough. you can put whatever you want in it and not worry about it unless you plan on building a drag car with slicks.

I still like these old Datsuns, and I could see myself having another one some day. I think the biggest hurdle would be figuring out how to get disc brakes on the stock spindles

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

chevys fit better... or how bout a V6

6. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

My buddies and I have built 5 v-8 mini trucks..

1. Luv with a 350/350...8" rear from a maverick

2. Mazda B2000 350/350 engine set back 8" What a miserable fit

3. Mazda B2000 400Ford C6 Narrowed 9"

4. Couirer with a 289

5. Luv another 350 this time 4-Speed and a maverick rear

the second generation Datsun (to this country) mid 70's make a good V-8 Mini.

Its just not going to take a twisty mountain road very fast..But a Luv will, A Luv is the best in my opinion.

No matter what, you need KYB shocks, the good white ones all the way around.

The biggest problem your going to run into is the length of the 302 waterpump..For sure it is going to need electric fans.

All in all Go for it..they are a hoot..

Did I mention that I Desert Race a 350/350 Ford Ranger.

Bill

7. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Thanks for the helpful comments dude!
    There's a reason folks ask questions-
    :rolleyes:

Good to hear about the torsion bars, thank you!

I read somewhere that... somebody(?) still sells the V-6 swap stuff in a kit, it's just that these datsun truck frames look so similar to 32 ford rails it seems almost like a sin for a "hot rod enthusiast" not to go v8... due to the fact that one day I shall bannish the datsun shell and replace it with that of a true hot rod-

On a side note, buick 215's were aluminum, and a nice tidy fit, but that's about all the info I have .... no idea what they came in or transmission options?????

Oh, I forgot to mention that I would also LOVE to make this thing COLUMN SHIFT... bench seats work better that way-

And IS a small chevy an easier squeaze? I'm just concerned about that distributar being in the way (and I just like fords)-

8. Toystoretom

Toystoretom

I wouldn't be surprised if the torsion bars from a later model Frontier with a V6 would come close to swapping in there. Datsun/Nissan has used the same set up for decades. Hardbody Pathfinders have them also. All those Frontier/Hardbody variants with V6's would have heavier torsion bars.

I've never seen one of those break, even in accidents. Your best bet would be to get the entire assembly from a salvage yard... the bars, the small arms at the front, and the crossmember with the anchors and adjustors. It might take some farbrication. but it will be a hell of a lot easier than trying to put a Ford setup in there. As stated above... your stock setup will probably work fine. You will know if you put the engine in and crank up the bars all the way and the front is still too low.

Tomo

9. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

I have a 71 Datsun truck that I had 350 in ,it's a tight fit & I had to mount the rad on the front.it has a later monte or something rear w/a 2.79 gear,really smoked the tire.The torsin bars ride nice,like someone else said the brakes suck.

10. Lon

Lon

You can lose the torsion bars all together. Box your lower control arms for strength and make a coilover mount for the lower control arm. Lose the upper shock mounts and build the upper coilover mount in its place. If you want a five lug bolt pattern wheel swap in some Toyota truck ball joints and use Toyota disc brakes which have the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's just that these datsun truck frames look so similar to 32 ford rails it seems almost like a sin for a "hot rod enthusiast" not to go v8...

dick dean built a 32 coupe on a datsun frame back in the 70's. called it a Dot rod. it was channeled and recently showed up at Paso Robles.

I've seen a few Datsun pickup based hot rods in my time, the thing to remember is you really need to move the motor back to make it look right. on an A or 32 the radiator is right around the axle centerline, on the datsun its a good 12 inches forward.

leave the motor where it goes in the datsun and put an early body on it and you'll have one butt ugly looking car.

12. Crease

Crease

Don't take this the wrong way, but when you're done putting a big motor in a 69 Datsun truck....you'll have a Datsun truck. Typically the build vehicle is the cheap part of the project. Why not put all that time and money into something cooler?

13. brownbagg

brownbagg
    from grand bay

cut the front end off of it and install a mustang II under it.

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Built an early 80's Dodge minitruck with the Bro in law...350/350 using a home fabbed Hurst style mount and rams horns.
    Worked excellent!
    Adjusted the torsion bars a little...didn't want it full height anyway. We set it about an 1 1/2" lower than stock but could have gotten full height back...I think anyway.
    Fit great, rode great, handled good.(nose heavy)

You don't need to replace/strengthen/brace anything IMHO. It's a truck...so the components are reasonably strong to start with.
    I WOULD use disc brakes however, if it doesn't have them already.

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Send a PM to Purple. He is an expert in those trucks.

16. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

the ford 302 is a very light engine. much lighter than a 350 chevy and it fits in a datsun pickup well. The oil pan can be an issue but not to bad since they make a front sump in old chassis and rear sump in fox chassis. your torsion bars wont be a problem I assure you. They can handle the added weight which aint much!

17. Radshit

Radshit

I think anything can be done if you have the will ........

on that note....screw the Datsun front suspension...straight axle that puppy...

Attached Files:

18. TINGLER

TINGLER

RADSHIT hit the nail on the head.

Make a "gasser that never was" sort of thing out of it.

Put a Ford 8"rear under the back...or even a 9" but an 8" will hold up fine.......straight axle up front.

WHOOOOOO BAAAaaahhhhhhh....

You'll rule.

I'd like to see one done "street freak" style.

19. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

LOL Youre 30 years late Tingler!

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i second that. i had a 80 Datsun that had a 302 V8 in it. i REALY don't think you'll break the torsion bars. i'd be amazed if you even so much as bent them. i did'nt build the one i had but it never had any such problems.

21. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Kirk-
    Thank you! That's right, I forgot that shit!

Duration-
    Sounds like you've done this!

Crease-
    I'm going with "hot rod cave-man theory" rationale here-
    (And if you re-read your question, you'll see that you answer it yourself...
    when you apply the word "sleeper" in place of "datsun")

P.S. this ISN'T the "cool" project, that's why it's "off-topic"

Thanks!

22. gowjobs

gowjobs

Whaddya mean "never was?" I just read an article in a Hot Rod from 1971 that had a feature on an injected 427-powered Datsun 520 PU with a straight axle. They were going to put a 454 crank and bore it out and run A-Gas. It was chopped, too - just about like that illustration!

23. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

Yes, a LONG time ago! we put a dual quad 289 in a datsun truck back in about 1984!

24. TINGLER

TINGLER

...alrighty then....

So there WAS Datsun gassers/street freaks.

I don't doubt it one bit.

............but all your accusations are worthless without pics. ;) :D
    BRING ON THE PICS!

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I had a V8 in a Chevy Luv and boy did I beat some asses with that little powerhouse.

26. TINGLER

TINGLER

On a side note, I guess this makes this project "traditional" since there is a precidence for this sort of thing.

70's traditional.....but still "Traditional".

So, is there a message board for 70's traditional hot rods?
    or will the HAMB have to allow this sort of thing since this IS the message board for "traditional" rods and customs.

Just food for thought.....hmmmmm. :rolleyes: :D

27. gowjobs

gowjobs

I left that magazine at work... I'll bring it home and scan the article on Tuesday. Hmmm... sounds like a chance to do something neat - Vans, Street Freaks, Show Rods, VW's, cafe racers and OG lowriders... Hemi had a website something like that in the works... wonder if it's still up and running???

28. McKee

McKee

29. flatbed

flatbed
    from Oregon

Weird. I'm currently doing a V8 swap into a 69' 520, it was my grandpas truck so I feel an obligation to get it back on the road. It already has front disks and a Chrysler 8.25 rear end, flatbed and the firewall hossed out. The biggest challenge is going to be getting the exhaust squeazed between those torsion bars and the frame rails, I want to try and dump it over the rails and into ankle burners. Please post pics of your progress.

30. Dirk35

Dirk35

You can Put the 302 in it just fine, but unfortunatly, they are correct, the 350 Chevy will fit better.

Me and my best friend in High School put a 283 in a 74 Chevy Luv. It was a true sleeper. Left everything else plain and stock. It would smoke the crap of of those skinny little tires. Beat pleanty of Unsuspecting 3500 pound muscle cars! :D

It eventually threw a rod and he sold it rather than fix it.