Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** November 2015 Banger Meet - Holidays are just around the corner ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have run damperless for years and never lost a crank Even on the English and Italian stuff

2. I wish I had your luck!

3. When I was considering purchasing a Scat crank I had planned on asking if they had any recommendations regarding dampeners . Deal fell through so I never had the occasion to ask them. Just a thought.

530sandman likes this.
  4. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Bill I asked Scat this very question when they 1st started selling A+B cranks and I brought a few
    along with questions about other tech stuff
    The e-mail back said they had done No testing with these cranks but a dampener was highly recommended
    As I already had a dampeners that work well on C model cranks I went with them
    that crank has a lot of very hard miles both race and highway on it and so far is good

530sandman likes this.
  5. I got my stroker Scat crank from H and H cause it was the last one available!
    There was only 7 made! (Now I know why they only made 7!)
    I sure wish they recommended one to me! My engine would most likely still be running!!! (Gaining Banger Experience Sure Is Expensive!!!) :eek:
    Joe

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  6. RussTee

RussTee

Hot-irons Have you looked at the front plate made by Pat Gary [email protected] His frontcover uses an angle drive distributor a waterpump and provison to fit an oil pump on the front of the cam very happy with mine

29 Speedster and hot-irons like this.
  7. hot-irons

hot-irons

Thanks Russ. Could you please post a picture of your setup?

8. RussTee

RussTee

cars at upholster at rthe moment treating it to some new threads first time in 40 years it showed its age lick me since I last did it.

9. Anyone have experience with solid hood sides and a warm four banger? Just pondering not punching louvres in the hood before I spray the front end on the latest creation.

[​IMG]

Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I like your car . where you are its mostly cool year round ? if so I would try it before paint & see .... steve

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

anyone using the chev 350 rear main seal in there banger ? if so , I would like info & pic if possible . thanks .. steve

12. ebtm3

ebtm3

I had no louvers in the hood of my home bodied avatar car, which had a warm '27 Chevy four. Plenty air escapes out the bottom.

Herb Kephart

13. road zombi

road zombi

14. road zombi

road zombi

what a amazing part:)

15. Thanks!
    I hope to get it in the car this weekend!:D
    Joe

16. I am!:D It's important to offset the seal. Dan McEACHRN sells the kit. 125 plus tax & shipping. [​IMG]

Dannerr and winduptoy like this.
  17. Nice coupe!!

18. I have used a couple, PM me with questions.
    IMG_2513 reduced.jpg

19. Hi, where's your thrust bearings?
    Scat told me I was screwed because H n H ran my thrust in the center! (prob. just a BS excuse!?)
    My friend built an awesome line boring machine so now I don't have to drive 500 miles to have a line bore done. We will be doing my 5 main crank soon!
    Joe

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Dannerr likes this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my thrust is 2 piece , both sides of crank just in front of the rear seal .

21. Got any pictures? You know how much we love Banger pics!!!!????

22. This is the prettiest Block and Crank picture Iv'e ever seen!:D

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

motor2 (626x462).jpg no really good pix of thrust , but it is 2 piece , bronze , on both sides of slinger ring .

24. Yeah, I can see the one on the outer side of the block just inside of the aluminum piece but it also looks like one on the inside as well. Is it done like mine?

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

to see more pix of my motor go to my albums . I appreciate any help ............ steve

26. That's not a block.
    The thrust is in the center main.
    J

27. IM001320.jpg IM001334.jpg IM001335.jpg

This is a SBC seal on an A block, I use the high performance beige seal cause they are thinner. Ifyou look close you will see where the JB goes to stop oil leak in the first photo. The main cap just quite doesn't cover the outside edge of the aluminum adapter

28. Oh, That's why it's so pretty! It's an aluminum girdle!?
    Joe

29. Yep, no sense being half sick!!

30. This is my last half sick engine! My next one will be with a 5 main crank and a girdle! Even, Titanium rods! Bam!!! (True bullet proof!!!)
    Yes, in my street driven Roadster. Ha ha!

waxhead likes this.