Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not sure what wire harness to get.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, May 24, 2009.

1. Im trying to get my 56 ford fairlane done for summer, Its not close to be finished yet but It will be. Im not sure what harness to go with. I just dont want to go with eazy wire or something like that because there is always waaaay too much extra wire. I was thinking about ron francis. What do you guys/gals think about that? Im running the stock 292 y block etc. I was going to use the stock gauges but they arent verry accurate so im thinking about using stuart warner or moon gauges.

2. I got a Rebel harness. I have yet to install it but it is nice quality and a great price. Most of all I understand the instructions and diagrams which in itself says alot! Todd

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

I used the 9+3 kit from Rebel Wire. I just have the basics on my truck. The kit was very nice and the tech support very good.

4. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

Yep, Rebel Wire. They give a discount to H.A.M.B.ers.

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

I'm using Haywire.

6. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

As a dealer for Rebel wire, I have to say it is a great kit. Contact Glenn and get a price. You will not regret getting one of these kits.

7. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

I need a wiring kit ASAP... how do I go about getting a "HAMB Discount"?

8. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

EZ wire is the best value.

9. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to join the Alliance, There's button at the top of the page. It's $50 but I've saved well over that each year. Then get in touch with Glenn33. I've used his Rebel kit before and was very happy. I'll order another once I get that far with the RPU.

10. So nobody like ron francis or painless?

11. why line their pockets when you could support a hamber. i've seen several different kits and the rebel kit is just as good if not better then the others for less.

12. I just dont want to put out the cash and get something that I will regret. You know? I just want to make sure.

13. 60Ford

60Ford
    from Winder, GA

Looks like without the HAMB discount Rebel would still be the best.

12 Circuits:

Rebel 149.95
    EZ wire 170.00
    Painless 448.00 (not painless on the pocket)

I think i'll be picking up a Rebel for my wife's Buick. 6 volt just seems to be a pain.

14. How do you pay for the alliance? I guess Im going to give rebel wirring a chance. I dont know how many circuits I should get.

15. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

+1 for Rebel Wire

I just finished up my trucks wiring with the basic kit. Easy instructions and everything was marked. Great kit.

16. jrsiron

jrsiron

American Autowire is a very complete kit and very easy to install.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm a Rebel dealer but they are just the best for price out there, You won't regret going Rebel.

18. Just don't chase cheap. There's wire and there's wire etc. That's my advice.

Of course this applies for most things.

19. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

As much as I believe that you should join the Hamb Alliance, you don't need to be an alliance member to get the discount on our kits. We have always given all Hamb members a 10% discount, but you do have to give me a call at 618-395-8216 to get the discount. I'm sure we have the harness you need for your Ford and I know you will be pleased with the quality.
    Join the Allliance...great discounts from great vendors and you're supporting the greatest Hot Rod community on the planet...

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  20. I vote Glenns Rebel Wire.
    I got one and it was easy as pie to install. It was scary to me, but their kit made it a snap, and he's available by phone to answer any question that might pop up.
    If the great product and service isn't enough, another main reason to go with Rebel is that they support the HAMB.

21. I seriously didnt see that.
    I did my research before I bought, all the important items pointed to Rebel:
    great reviews from previous buyers
    great pricing, even HAMB discount
    great product, every wire labelled every foot or so
    simple install for a wiring noob like myself.
    He supports the HAMB and has done so for a long time.

it all pointed to Rebel

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Thanks guys...We really appreciate the support...

23. Did ya buy the Rebel yet???
    Ya ought to --- Best deal around !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

I just finished re-wiring my 51 Studebaker with a Rebel Wire 9+3 generic kit. I've made lots of changes to the electrical system, so I didn't even have a reliable wiring diagram (6 to 12V, gen. to alternator, added electric fan, stereo, etc.). The Rebel Wire kit worked great, I needed to call the "help" line twice, and both times the answer was quick and courteous, no voice-mail call back, and no probelms answering my very basic questions that probably any other rodder knows without asking.

I paid around $140 with the HAMB discount and had looked at most of the other vendors as well. Painless sent me a catalogue that looked like a Nieman Marcus catalogue that probably cost $10 each to print! The equivalent kit would have been $400, but the pictures sure were pretty!

It took me a full day to install, but a lot of that time was cosmetic routing/hiding wires for better visual effect. The instructions are pretty good, although I would prefer a complete wiring diagram in addition to the individual zone diagrams. Anyway, the Stude's back on the road with everything working first time...

25. Well im going to give it a little more thinking. Im still not sure on how many circuits i need or what gauges to use. decisions decisions

26. true, now you've got feedback here do some research on all the kits and compare. look at price, quality, customer service.

27. I would add a few extra circuits for future use, so you don't have to try and add them later. It will be a lot easier to add them now as opposed to later.

28. Thanks for the advice oldtimer and modelaratrod. Im going to do my research and see whats in my price range and go from there.

29. JWW

JWW
    from Wisconsin

I was just looking for a harness this a.m. for my 52 deluxe
    I only need/want the front harness and was interested in one that the "Car Shop" out in CA. has.
    How do these differ from the ones listed in earlier posts?
    materials, fit, cost...

thanks

Jim