Register now to get rid of these ads!

North Georgia build thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by injected27, May 3, 2012.

1. Old28

Old28

Don't get me wrong Jason, I would love to have the shop, AS IT IS, should be parts for 1 or 2 cars you have not seen in years, A home built hot rod guys dream.;):D:)

Ha, my car is Ford/Chevy/Ford it all works and the price is right.:rolleyes:

2. bobw

bobw

Your tubes and my frame look a lot alike. Fun for me to watch this build.

Mine is Ford/Slant 6/Ford. But there's a 300 Ford in the corner...

3. injected27

injected27

Thanks Bob I have studied all the post and pictures I could before starting. There is a combination of everything I liked on the cars I seen. I am hoping everything keeps going smoothley.

4. Old28

Old28

Jason -- Not jumping your thread, but maybe bobw has an extra beam axle he would part with?:confused:

bobw -- Why don't you pull that slant 6 and dump that 300 Ford with a C4 in that hot rod and see if your SDRA ride can run high 11's. :D

5. injected27

injected27

No problem here. He may just have that.

6. injected27

injected27

Got a slant 6 and 904 for the SLOWPAR yesterday. We got it in the car and motor mounts made. We did not get the transmisson crossmember but there is next weekend. Got the firewall made and rolled a few beads in it. It turned out really well. I will start the front end sometime this week. We are making good progress with this car so far. Feels good to be moving foward with these cars. I should have new pictures sometimes this week.;)

7. Old28

Old28

Pictures ** Pictures ** Pictures

Sounds like you have got a lot done. Did you find a front axle? None out this way that I could find. What about spindles? Keep at it.:)

8. injected27

injected27

I just bit the bullet and bought:mad: a set of Strange spindle. I was going to run 17x2.5 superlite with anglia bearing setup anyways. So I am going to build my axle. My partner is still trying to figure out his best path. Trailer looks really cool. You old dogs always have a few tricks up your sleeve don't you!!!!!!;)

9. Old28

Old28

We Keep Trying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :) :rolleyes:

10. injected27

injected27

Here are the pictures I promised. It ain't much but it is progress. The SLOWPAR is coming along.

Attached Files:

11. Old28

Old28

Jason, I sure like your firewall hoop, I wish mine was as tall, gives you more leg & knee room. Things are fitting together and looking good. are you going to build a 1 5/8" 5 point cage or a 1 1/2" 6 point?;)

If you have a chance to take a couple of measurements, how tall is the firewall hoop above the main rail? How far is the back shoulder rail from the firewall hoop? I may build a new frame in future for my car.:confused:

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

All right, looking like a good start. :cool:

13. injected27

injected27

Tom I think it is 17 inches high. I can do a drawing and send it to you. I am going with a 6 point 1 5/8 upper cage. I know I don't have to but if the change the rules I should be OK in the future. This car may have a V8 in it one day so I am building on the safe side. My partner was more impressed with the firewall than anything. I will say it did turn out slick. I told him some white paint and he will be OLD SCHOOL like they did in my grandpa's days
    Old6 we are trying. Yours looks to be coming along good also. I hope to have this one done soon and start the chevy that will out run it.

14. injected27

injected27

Well we got a little more done last week. Not really picture worthy Old28. We have had 2 very good weeks of parts gathering. Jegs has had a few items on sale plus my pro shop account discount. Ebay has been good to us with some reasonable items won and the always helpful freebies coming are way. My daughter had Honor Band for the last 3 days in Ringgold,Ga. Me and the wife went up to Chattanooga Tn wich is only about 10 miles north Friday night. Got up this morning all hoped up going to Honest Charlies Speed Shop. It was close on saturday(bummer). Coker Tire is right beside it about 3 blocks out of downtown. I will be going back. It is a true piece of racing history in these parts. Heard all the war stories from the old veterans for years. Big thanks to Corkey Coker for perserving a piece of history for genertions to come.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. bbhotrod34

bbhotrod34
    from dalton, ga

That is a cool racer, I was at work a few days ago, and this wild lift truck mechanic told me he and his buddy were building a hamb dragster, i have seen your post on here on the build, small world, my name is BB Brown from dalton, ga. I put the show and go's nostalgia drag meet at paradise drag strip in Calhoun, I hope you got it going for our first show, may 11th, I would like to see it run. BB Brown 706-934-3437

16. Old28

Old28

Jason, better get to getten on those 2 cars. Ain't got the first one running and you already have a place to run and an invitation to a nostalgia race. It don't get much better than that.;):)

I see best out of 3 match races next year.:D

Don't let that regular job get in the way of your build, eating & paying bills is way over rated.:rolleyes:

17. injected27

injected27

BB my partner is a wild man for sure. I have been to one of your shows back when OTTO was still alive. We ran 2 jrs that day. Mine was purple with a bright orange roll cage (little girl driving it). We are working on them getting as much as we can done with the work and weather.

Tom they really run a good show and have been for years. What do you mean aint got it running I am a ol southern shade tree mechanic I can crank a stump with a rope and a gallon of gas. LOL This is my home track. I made my first passes there. My daughter did to. It is where I test and I also had my wreck 21 years ago yesterday. It is a good ol southern outlaw track. That place has made me the racecar driver I am. My hero ran at that track. The main reason I am building these cars is so I can bracket race there on a regular basis. They do not run a lot of Super Pro cars mainly foot brake cars. Hmm best out of three @ a outlaw track. I can smell the blended fuel now:rolleyes:!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might have to get a smallblock out of the basement and my organ pipes cleaned out for that one!!!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  18. injected27

injected27

Tom He has some cool T shirts too!!! I might have to send you one after the show. I could only guess your size. Mine is Xfat and old how about you????

19. Old28

Old28

Jason, got your PM and sent a reply, check it out.

Shirt sounds great, just double yours ( XXfatboy or XXX if they got them)
    Like I said to bobw on my thread one day, If I really want to drop 200# off my car I should find a Jr dragster retiree as a new shoe, so I did. Motors going to think I added a little pop to the tank with my lard "xxx" out of the seat. We will see in about 6 weeks at our ANRA opener.

20. injected27

injected27

Them jr drivers are tough foot breakers. They have never had a button or delay box and they are hungry. The reverse thing is all new but they adapt fast!!!!!

21. injected27

injected27

Well I had a meeting today and they said "All there saftey rule where paid for in blood". I thought this was interesting considerin some of the comments I have heard about the NHRA. I know it seems like they go over board and i can agree with some of it. But most of there rules where paid in blood. I figured I have given enough of everthing else I can not stand to loose any blood. Just a thought not trying to start a arguement. I just thought it was a interesting statement I would share with the board maybe it will save a life.

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That may be true, but it's still hard to relate to rules for AA/FA or Top Fuel Dragsters being necessary for operation of HA/GR type cars. The basic truth is that the N(o)H(ot)R(ods)A(llowed) don't see any money to be made off of the little guys and do everything they can to make the idea of running our kind of cars unaffordable. They really don't want our kind of cars interrupting their circus because we aren't about drawing crowds, we're about drag racing for the fun of it and there isn't any TV market for that.

Attached Files:

23. injected27

injected27

Exactly wich rules are the same for these cars and a Top fuel car. I am sure the seat belts and brakes are required on both. I have looked at top fuel rules a while back and there is a long and expensive list. They even have to wear a different helmet with a air bladder in it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

A little recent history.

The class was started in '05. When I built our car in '07 we could run with a 4 point roll bar, fire jacket, "Y" shoulder belts, and a closed bucket ...... per the 12+ second dune buggy rules that these cars are designed to fit (and yes, many dune buggies were built with solid rears :rolleyes:).

NfHRA decreed'em to be altereds (and in my case a rear {read, mid} engine RAIL :confused:) in spite of their lack of any rules for so slow an altered or middie. Then proceeded, over the ensuing years, to apply more and more of their existing 10 second rules to us. At some point they'd re-titled their classes to "10+" seconds to force inclusion.

In '07 I first built our car as a 6 point roll bar and arranged the seat position to get it closer than normal to the back my helmet as well. This, to exceed their (then) requirements, as I'd been advised.

Then, after '09, when they demanded a full cage and full suit, I complied. At that time it didn't have to meet 10 sec specs, just be functional.

Next, came the demand that the cage meet helmet clearance specs, and the addition of arm restraints. I complied.

I still drive a 13+ second car, that might, some day, possibly, run another 12.94 like one golden run two years ago (though not likely, with the weight of the body I've added).
    It's still pump gas, carbs only, 6" bias ply street hides, pre-'62 in-liners & flatties. Hell, the absolute best of us is a second and a half away from 10.0, and that's after 8 years of the class's growth.

Are you beginning to get the picture? In spite of his over statement, 440's conclusion has every hallmark of being correct in essence. And I, for one, am damn tired of it.

25. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Last year nhra had a points race race at tulsa .we were susposed to have exhibtion runs this was cleared though the track. at no entry fee . well we showed up and the price to run 165 in american money .we were told we would get two runs need less to say we left. it would be interesting to know how much tv money nhra gets and compare it to their pay out. they are definitely not for the hobby racer

26. Maybe NHRA actually stands for No Hobby Racers Allowed :rolleyes:

27. injected27

injected27

Once again I did not want to start a argument. I am dead wrong about everything in some peoples opinion. I have a street roadster that I ran for 10 years. It has been deemed unsafe by the nhra. It is sitting in the trailer and I will make the upgrades when I get to it. I have not talked bad about anybody putting races on. If you have rolled a car 10 times out into a field and was lucky enough to survive it then your view on saftey changes. I have had 6 surgeries and spend some rehab time also. I am just trying to put some saftey into peoples mind. I guess I am dead wrong for trying to help. I am sorry for making anybody mad for trying to be a safe racer.

28. Old28

Old28

Well I said to myself, just read the replys and take them with a grain of salt, but no I had to add my 1/2 cents worth.

All of the 10 sec & slower rules that have been changed were done because the altereds & dragsters needed to be updated and rules pulled together. They needed a place to drop HAMBster dragsters and this was it. I don't think nhra cares if you are running a our type car at all, we are just another open wheel dragster and have to meet the 10 sec or slower rules.

I for one like to run at a track that has timing so I can keep trying to improve car performance so I will continue to meet the rules at the tracks I run. May not like all the rules but they own the tracks and pay the insurance.

We might all like to run our cars like they were in late 50"s but for the most we can't. Hell you can't even run a flag start race at Eagle Field without SFI Pants/jacket/arm restraints/neck coaler ect/ect/ect in an open wheel car.

It ain't ever going to be the 50's - 60's again. All we can do is build cars that remind us of those great racing days. We will find a place to run one way or another.

For use West Coast crew, keep in mind that we need to support support guys like Butch (ANRA) & Rocky (Eagle Field) as there are not a lot of guys out there that want to promote our type of racing.;)

29. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

'27, no sweat, you're not making me mad, nor are you wrong, your preferences are right for you.
    It's just that mine are outlawed for me. I simply want the return of the freedom we once exercised.
    My life's mine to live, as was yours, not some blood sucking attorney's, nor any three faced politician's.

'28, those are the facts. But exactly why did the altereds and dragsters NEED to be updated? Because of the speeds they were attaining? Didn't they have the right to take their own chances? No one's ever outlawed choosing to add personal safety equipment, like they have choosing not to.
    Also, what speeds have we attained to warrant like "concern" ("concern" is decidedly tongue in cheek)?

And no, I'm not mad at you either. This whole "nannying" subject just trips one of my triggers, so most of the time I stay off the board regarding it. I guess my blood sugar's low this evening, or something.
    Hell, am I old enough yet to blame it on senility? You know, if nosey people just HAVE to "protect" me from something, how 'bout addressing THAT. :eek:

Of course I'll be at as many of Rocky & Butch's meets as I can make, I'm only annoyed and frustrated, not stupid and reactionary (well, perhaps a bit :rolleyes:). :D

30. old sparks

old sparks

the bottom line is we`re stuck with the rules so why tow 200 miles with a 50/50 chance to get on the track. makes no sense