Register now to get rid of these ads!

Norm grabowski 1933-2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLAT-TOP BOB, Oct 12, 2012.

1. B.C.

B.C.

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I feel profoundly fortunate that I got to meet him, and listen to some of his stories and philosophy, and drink with him, and laugh with him. Boy, did we laugh. Rest in peace, pal.

3. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

RIP.... thank you.... you were a class act!!

4. Egghead

Egghead

Few years back at Springfield Mo. Nats, a group of us were gathered near his car, when he walked up with one of his shift knob creations ,and says, "Hey look at this guys, looks just like one of Norm grabowski's works!" Rip Norm.

5. von zipper

von zipper

I never met him, but he looked like a pretty fun guy! I remember him in the bar fight in the Canonball run movie when he raised his toga!!! HA! I hope they organize a memorial car show or cruise after him! ImageUploadedByTJJ1350099742.666190.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

OH Man, I was hoping and praying .:(
    God Speed Norm

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

I took this picture last time I was down to visit.........

(I think Norm would get a big laugh of this picture on this thread.......)

I know Norm believed in "always leave them laughing".... But Norm ,... It's a little hard to laugh with a tear in your eye........

[​IMG]

8. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

What a sad day. I'm still in shock and can't believe he's actually gone. I first met Norm in '93 at the Hot Rod Reunion. I gave him my last $10 for a signed poster and had to borrow money from a friend to get back home. I had spent the previous 2 years building my Cad powered T and couldn't wait to show him. Even though it was in primer, he loved the car and wanted to take it for a spin around the fairgrounds! We drove around for at least 15 minutes as I talked his ear off about the Kookie Kar. One of the best experiences of my life and I'll never forget how cool he was to me. Thanks for being YOU Norm. We'll all miss you buddy! Rest in Peace.

[​IMG]

9. For most of us here in Australia our first knowledge of Norm came as a result of Cookies Car on the TV series 77 Sunset Strip.

For me I was fortunate that Norm was good mates with a number of my close US and Canadian buddies, his irreverent humour always made him a pleasure to be around.

His talent as a car builder artist and wood working craftsman was truly something to behold. His eye for detail and colour was also exceptional.

One of my most memorable encounters with Norm was introducing him to my best buddy Datsfa (AKA Ian Shaw), they were much alike but from opposite sides of the globe and that day I really did think I was going to die from laughing so hard.

Norm always remembered us furriners and if he saw us in the distance would alway give us a yell and wave to drag us into whatever conversation he was having with whomever he was having it.

He will be missed by all who knew him, rest in peace Norm old mate. :(

10. j conrad

j conrad

11. RIP in peace Norm, thoughts and prayers to his family.... sad news....

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

Terrible, terrible news. I met Norm several times over the years and followed his antics since the days of the 1st "Kookie Kar". He was one of the best guys out there to demonstrate to the public the world of hot rods was not a bunch of mean spirited, violent, or crazy guys bent on destruction. He made us all look normal to to the folks who couldn't figure out what we were up to. Never without a smile, never to busy to have fun or laugh with you, and multi-talented. As a hot-rodding community, we will never be the same without him. Sad day.

13. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Just got the sad news........ He was a great guy, funny and always made me smile. I'll miss you Norm. R.I.P.

14. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

Another hot rod legend is gone - very sad. Seems he really enjoyed life and lived a true hot rodder's life. RIP Normie! God bless.

15. historynw

historynw

Sorry to hear of his passing Norm I hope the beer is cold on the other side.

16. hedg12

hedg12

Sorry to hear it.

Never had a chance to meet him, but from reading through this thread it's obvious that we've lost a truly great man.

My condolences to his family and friends.

17. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

Hell of a good guy down to earth I was blessed to have known him. RIP my friend.

18. Lon

Lon

R.I.P. Norm Grabowski. I've had my dad's 1968 Cycle Guide since I was little. This is the first article I read about one of his creations.

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      503.2 KB
      Views:
  19. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

A early pic of Norm and his Henway truck. Whats a henway? About two pounds! RIP NORM

NORM'S%20HENWAY.jpg

20. Sad news today.....I'll tip one up in your memory....

21. Anartista

Anartista
    from Napa

Back in 1996, I met Norm and got him to carve me a custom skill using some Koa I got from David Crosby and some real Ivory for teeth. Sure enough he did it. It took up to 2009 to get the hotrod going, but it does have my prized carved skull in a great location atop an extralong shift rod!
    [​IMG]

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

R.I.P Norm!----Good memories!!

Attached Files:

23. mt94ss

mt94ss

R.I.P. Norm. The Cookie Car was my favorite T. Loved his work and he always seemed to have a great smile going.

Mike

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

A sad day.May God bless and watch over Mr Norms family in this time of sorrow.
    Now,if `ole St Pete can just overlook the burned rubber on the "Streets of Gold"
    all will be well.Norm,you WILL be sorely missed.
    Leo

25. impushstart

impushstart

R.I.P. Norm, Gone but never forgotten

26. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Sad news indeed!

27. Lil32

Lil32

Sad news, R.I.P. Norm. Prayers to family

28. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

His T-bucket on "77 Sunset Strip" was the seed that drew me into the world of hotrods. RIP.

29. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER