Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No gas from fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ozzies 57, Feb 13, 2016.

1. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

bought a 1965 Chrysler Imperial. It will run with gas in the carburetor. However no gas was being delivered to the carburetor. So I install the new mechanical fuel pump, and gas is getting to the fuel pump ( I blew gas through the line back into the tank remove the air hose and gas filled out the line so I know the line is clean ) but I can't get it to pump when cranking or even starting it with fuel poured in the carb.Is it possible I got a crappy new fuel pump? Or am I missing something totally obvious? I hate to run back down to O'Reilly's and get another fuel pump waste my time putting it on and have the same issue? So I figured I'd ask on here

2. Make sure the suction side of the pump is hooked to the tank. And the pressure side is toward the carb.

3. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

I did that. That was my first check

4. process of elimination

Get a clear bottle of gas,
    One empty clear bottle
    Two rubber hoses.
    Attach the hoses to the pump.
    From the pump -
    put one hose in gas & other in empty.
    Observe while cranking
    Switch hoses and observe again.
    You need double confirmation here.
    When correct the gas will transfer.
    When incorrect the hose will blow bubbles into the fuel.
    Again double confirmation.

If you don't get double confirmation you have a problem with the pump itself or the pumps eccentric drive.

If you get confirmation but no fuel look for blockage between pump outlet and inside the carb.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

5. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

Sounds like a starting point for a fun day of trouble shooting..thanks I will try that tomorrow

6. Should take you 10 mins. At least to be able to point at where the problem is.
    But I guess you could play with it all day

7. Make sure when you replaced the pump that you got the pump arm oriented correctly in relation to the eccentric. On some cars it's possible to get it above the eccentric when it's supposed to be below it.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You can also test the pump as 31V outlined by holding it in your hand and operating the lever manually.

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Make sure any flex type hose between the tank and pump isn't leaking vacuum or collapsing.

10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I had a problem with this once, the outside of the hose looked fine but the inside had collapsed blocking the flow of fuel. Rotten on the inside.