Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical no dipstick... where do I put one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP, Sep 15, 2014.

1. COOP

COOP

I hate to ask a question like this, but I'm stumped. Years ago I was in the mud bog craze. I had a 9000 lb Jeep with military axles and 60" tires. This thing would grunt thru anything, but then someone came up with a lightweight Jeep using a big block and nitrous. Whole new ball game. I hunted around for parts to build a blown injected small block. Wound up with a bow tie block, good heads, 671 with Hilborne 4 port, and a bunch of expensive shit. Engine was built by a couple of good builders, but somehow in the fervor of getting it all together I wound up with no dip stick to check oil. The block has no provisions for one and my $400 aluminum oil pan has none either. I have a very limited knowledge of engine building, so don't know what to do. I have had this engine for years and have never put it in anything due to my ignorance of the injection system. I was working a lot of overtime at G.M. at the time and got stupid with the cash flow. ( wound up with about $13,000 in a lump that takes up floor space) Time to get this thing going before I check out, but I would like to know how much oil it has in it. I think it has an 8 quart pan, but not sure. Don't know where the oil level should be, and a lot of other questions. Any ideas guys? I've got my eyes on a '31 coupe that would like this motor. Thanx all, Norm

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Mcmaster carr has some cool sight glasses and plugs but that would require holes in that 400 dollar pan.

3. aaggie

aaggie

I guess you have seen a pan with the dipstick made onto the side of the sump?

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Some (all ?) flathead Fords had a flange and tube fitting that riveted to the side of the pan. That's one item that could be adapted.

Another is to have a tubular aluminum 'bung' tig welded into the side of the pan. There will no doubt be others offered here.

As to oil quantity required , I'd think the pan needs to come off in any case and you can measure the height of the oil pickup and how much oil is required to cover it can be determined....and the new dipstick marked accordingly. You'll git 'er done!

Ray