Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NHRA says OK

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by marshall, Feb 6, 2014.

1. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

So in case anyone was wondering what it takes to get the NHRA to certify a modern chassis built in the spirit of the mid 50's rail jobs, here you go.
    A little Chassis Research, a little Dragmaster, some very open minded tech inspectors, and a WHOLE lot of tubing.
    Many on here will be quick to point out the differences between this thing and an old chassis, and trust me we know the differences as well, but being able to run 9.99 at an NHRA track made all the differences seem like an acceptable compromise to us.
    Is it a little heavy, yes. Is it a spot-on TE-440 replica, no. What it is though, is a legal 100" front engine dragster, and we think that's pretty cool.
    We dubbed it the Horsefly HF100.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Looks like a good compromise between vintage look, with the ability to actually run the car flat out down the track. Gotta be more rewarding than just having a car on display, and occasionally starting the engine.

3. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

When will the plans be for sale?

4. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

I think it looks great!

And...the fact that it is 'Legal' makes it a 100% score in my book.

Job well done.

6. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Thats a good looking car. So what if it has a few extra bars. How many in the day were raced and stayed un modified? A stretch here, another bar there. I bet not many. Finish it up and have fun!

7. I like it a lot. Great job keeping the spirit. It still has the look of the older chassis, but now is legal to actually use as a real dragster and have fun with, compared to just being able to idle down the track.

8. Berzerk

Berzerk

I've been talking to a local chassis builder about this type of car for a year or so. Like the other guy said, when will plans be available! Awesome car, keep us posted on the progress...

9. camerl2009

camerl2009

I've been looking for something like this for a while I hope plans will be available

10. Sure, it's got a few extra tubes in the back half. But the problem with udating an old chassis is that the extra tubing that has to be added on looks, well, added on. By starting out with a clean sheet though you've done a great job of integrating all the extra pipe. It looks like it belongs there rather than an afterthought.

Nice job! :cool: Curious to see how it'll look with the tin hung on it! :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Its bitchen, no apologies necessary.

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Car looks Great Marshall, Like you I've added alot of tubeing to mine,, Tim Jones

13. squirrel

squirrel

gonna look real nice at 180 mph!

14. Awesome. I've got to add some to mine. Hopefully something similar. This looks great.

15. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

16. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Very cool and good goin stickin to the style you wanted. NICE!!!!

17. the violator

the violator

very cool! that will be badass "cackeling" down the whole track at full throttle!

18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i have built one, i am going to add more bars, but i think yours looks great and safe. anxious to see yours finished. looks good.

19. eddiebroadway

eddiebroadway

I had a 20 year old 6.0 CERT chassis (Door Car) that had been updated over the years and had a stack of both IHRA and NHRA stickers on it, until one inspector, in his opinion, failed it. I knew I was in trouble when he was digging thru the SFI book. We had to nearly cut the car in half to make the changes. Black or White, no grey area he said. :(

20. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Bitchin'! Good job! I'll look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

hot damn

22. Hats off to you! great job! keep up the good work!

23. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

That looks awesome.. my buddy has a 92" eliminator one chassis from the late 50s and besides a display piece what are you going to do with it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Wonderful job! real world, the masses will love it no matter where you place the tubing, it has the look and I am sure when you mash pedal, you will grin so hard your face is going to hurt !

25. slobroy

slobroy

Yes, want one. Plans available?

26. cracker head

cracker head

Fuck yes! I love it. I'd love to have a short digger to race.

Somebody built a dragster to actually race instead of just building a fancy engine stand. Imagine that...

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

x5 for plans.

28. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

I think it looks good.

29. wsdad

wsdad

Any plans for plans? I would love a copy or two, too. Copy?

30. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

That Looks great. I bet it will be a lot of fun.

It looks like your vertical tube is larger than the 1-1/4 inch specified at "D" for FEDs here -
    http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh179/rwstillwater/6-1.jpg

Was/Is it common for the top rails to terminate on the middle of a vertical tube?

Without a tube or two added at the intersection for triangulation, like this one has?
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...kGuX0A2Cn3amhuv5AlmGDg2rDyD9oEoch_xgtOUnBXkWQ

The later Garlits chassis provide a more-or-less continuous load path front to back, if AMT can be believed.
    http://images61.fotki.com/v1610/photos/5/504634/4478984/DonGarlitsWynnsJammerAMT004-vi.jpg

The NHRA rulebook //seems// to show a continuous path as well for FED and Funny cars as well/
    http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh179/rwstillwater/6-1.jpg