Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The only pictures I have are on the Six Flags Dragway site.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    http://www.sixflagsdragway.com/collections/billplemons/index.htm

loco_gringo and MoonLoon like this.
  2. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Last post before York Junior Stock Reunion. Probably . There should be plenty of the guys in Doug Boyce's Junior Stock Book at York so if you are an autograph hunter , I'd be carrying that book along with you for this Reunion.
    Thanks guys....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. bayboar

bayboar
    from arizona

4. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks for posting your video. Lots of cool stuff this year. Wish I could have made it up there.

5. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

BAYBOAR, thankyou so much for your slide show.

6. bayboar

bayboar
    from arizona

no problem originally from back there (jersey) brings back great memories used to run with a lot of those guys.

7. 65deluxe

65deluxe

A couple shots from this years York Musclecar Reunion. Marv Ripes posing proudly with his old '57 Chevy and '56-7 Corvette. The wheels are already in motion to make the 2015 Junior Stock reunion bigger and better. Though the Stocker turn out was predominantly Chevys, we all know these Junior Stockers came in all shapes and sizes, and all are welcome in 2015.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  8. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

That's true Doug, it was predominately Chevy stuff. Nice chevy stuff I might add. But there is a buzz today already about some Mopar stuff, plus Kevin's awesome white lightweight Pontiac was outstanding and so on. The Drivers meeting was interrupted a bit but won't be next year. There is SO much that could be discussed in the Drivers Meeting regarding tech , Teardown stories and so much from the legends that were in the room. There were guys this year from Kansas, California, Mississippi, North Carolina , the Division One guys in droves and other states I am missing. The bottom line is this impromptu meeting of guys started a few years ago as a couple of guys standing in the lobby to almost 40 people this year ( including a still razor sharp female racer ) who met in the room set aside for the meeting.
    So, plan to come. No car to bring?? So what. Bring your stories, see your friends, talk tech, help those who missed the Golden Days to have a little touch of drag racing before electronics showed in a race car. Please. Start now, you'll be ready . Did anybody miss Wayne Jesels Thrash on the Yoo Hoo Delivery?? It CAN be done. Wayne had far less time to do that 51 weeks....

9. 270283

[​IMG]

I would have loved listening to all these cars being arranged for this photo. I was at the show on Friday. The Junior Stockers looked like a staging lane from the late Sixties.

10. DYNO360

DYNO360

11. DYNO360

DYNO360

I remember Mark Coletti the driver, they called him "Smokey Joe" for his outrageous burn outs. Ran right on the index time after time!

12. DYNO360

DYNO360

13. DYNO360

DYNO360

Yeah, Lee was a great guy and knew a lot about small block chevys. Frank Jordan was the best at finding cars that would run on a great index. I remember his '61 Chevy with a 2bbl 283, the lowest factored 283 in NHRA. He could make that 2bbl fly!

14. loudbang

loudbang

15. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

"Smokey Joe" was Mark's dad. I helped him with his V6 altered in AZ.

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I miss the Junior Stock Class.

I know on the East Coast this class had some of the best drag racing and many of the guys who started in this class went on to become National Champions and then moved up to pro stock back in the day.

Jimbo

1934coupe likes this.
  17. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

270283, driving those cars into the hall on Thursday all in a row at once was a definite flashback .everything sitting there loping along with open tubes and "Stocker legal " cams etc. just sounded awesome. You are right, that put a smile on many a face.....

Gary Glover likes this.
  18. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Thanks for sharing the photos. Between this thread and watching the Yoo Hoo Too car come together, we’re re-energized.
    Thanks, Mike

19. LAW/a&w

LAW/a&w
    from New Jersey

Yes, that is the '58 sedan delivery of LAW. You can see the 2 on the side panel for Special Delivery 2.

20. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Lou, we need a car to represent LAW next year. Tell me you have one of those deliveries (or the Corvette) tucked away somewhere :)

21. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

I know you're sick of reading Chevy stuff. Sorry. Here's my question. Does anybody remember the General Kinetics camshafts for the small block Stockers ?? I keep hearing about a " number 5" cam and then GK made a " Number 6". I am imagining that a 5 was an earlier cam than the 6 but since they were both Legal 220 horse hydraulic cams, does anybody know what the difference was?? It would seem there was some difference as some cars ran faster with a 5 than with a 6. I'm sure( sorta) there is probably no GK catalog in existence anymore so there really is no reference material. I'm just curious. If any of you guys who ran these sticks are still out there and could answer this it'd be greatly appreciated ....
    Thank you...

22. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Just a note that 3 weeks after the first York Junior Stock reunion took place, the website has already been changed to reflect the 2015 Junior Stockers annual get together. It's normally changed a few months later but this year, 3 weeks. There is already a few other cars in the works for 2015 and those who didn't get it done for last year have 49 weeks to make it happen. You may want to read the opening page of the site for details as cars can be signed up already, a change from years prior .

There has got to be other Junior Stockers hiding out there that aren't Tri fives. How about those Olds, Fords Pontiacs, Buicks, Studes etc from the Junior Stock book that Doug Boyce penned. If you have them , let them see the light of day again. There was some cool stuff at York this year again and great people as well...... Be part of it, car or not , please.

23. 65deluxe

65deluxe

24. OldColt

OldColt

I love those old small block Chevrolet Junior Stockers as much as the next guy, Tokyo Rose and Jenkins Nova were probably my favorites of them all. .... But, oh how more interesting it would have been if Ford had rated it's small block offerings 10-15% less on hp. There were a kazillion Falcons, Comets, and Fairlanes around back then that could have been competitive and mixing it up in the stock classes.

--- Steve ---

25. 65deluxe

65deluxe

I don't know Steve, Chevy did offer an endless number of competitive packages as opposed to Ford or Chrysler, and the Chevys seemed to respond better to modification. By 1970, I think the playing field was pretty level as a lot of the bogus combinations were eliminated by the NHRA, and they were factoring bogus HP ratings.
    Guys like John Elliot, Tom Schumacher, Bob Bayles, Jack Worrell and Richard Charbonneau had no problem making their Fords fly, it just seemed to take more of an effort. All the same, it was a great variety of cars that sadly, we just don't see today. Its nice to see a resurgence in popularity of these older Stocker.

loudbang likes this.
  26. OldColt

OldColt

I only recall one competitive small block Ford stocker running at the Nashville, Tn. area strips circa 65-70. It was a 64/65 Falcon running in P/S with a 4 speed and 260 2bbl 164bhp engine. It almost always won class and went far in eliminator. Was probably pretty close to the class record, as it survived several protest engine tear downs, and always checked legal. Hats off to Gary Summers & Kip Martin for their success with stock/super stock sbf's now days.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Along with the second annual Junior Stock gathering, the 2015 York Reunion will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first Super Stock Nationals. What a show this one's going to be!!

Attached Files:

28. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

I know it doesn't belong here so I'll change threads to Modifed Production but MP guys are asking about 2015. Go figure!!,

29. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

IMG_6820.JPG IMG_6882.JPG IMG_6880.JPG IMG_6881.JPG IMG_6850.JPG IMG_6830.JPG IMG_6838.JPG IMG_6848.JPG These are just a few of my photos. Needless to say my wife and I had a great time. The photo of Gary Glover and Tom Ronca is a classic east and west. Hard to believe they had never met. The Gunning Brothers shirts were cool. Boy wouldn't you like to know what Ripes and Jessel were discussing. My wife even built a "build and take" at the model display. And the first photo does not need any comment. Can't wait until next year. I have many more photos I can share if interested.

loudbang and Gary Glover like this.
  30. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

The first 2015 York Musclecar Madness registration has arrived. No surprise here , It is a Junior Stock car. The drive will take 22 hours straight through to get to York for this guy. And he's the first one " in" . If this is any indication of the car lineup or commitment , it is a good one. Are you in??

Ramblur likes this.