Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Twist on a 1947 Ford COE Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dough Boy, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

I guess I'll have to admit that Benny's my brother. If it wasn't for him I would be building a 1948. He really came through on this one! It's going to be a lot of work, but will be fun building.

2. RangeRansom

RangeRansom
    BANNED

beautiful truck to start with!! looking forward to this build

3. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Beautiful. COE trucks have that special "time travel" sorta feel, unless ruined with modern stuff that is.
    If you keep the og wheels and most period stuff it will look amazing.

4. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

Chris and I had our next meeting and worked out final strategies and details for the build. We decided on time and material for the build, because of the scope and neither one has built something at this scale.
    We have our chassis figured out. We are going with a 1985 p32 motorhome chassis with a 454 with four wheel disk brakes. It has a 208 inch wheel base that will work for the 19 foot box. One of the major reasons I went with this chassis was that the in laws donated it to the cause.
    Before beginning Chris needed to finish up some of his projects before he started and I needed to demo the RV. We agreed to have the chassis and cab to his shop at the beginning of December.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ready to go to Chris's Shop.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

The truck and cab made it to Chris’s shop and is ready for the rebuilding phase. The first day was dedicated to taking the suspension apart and getting it to the lowest point. From that point we will build everything up. We took out the front springs and took out all but two leaf springs in the rear. We will be replacing the springs with air bags. At this point we are the lowest we can go without doing any C notching. We will set the Cab on for a test fit next.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

We removed the engine, transmission, steering box and master brake so that we could place the cab on the chassis today. Unfortunately the cab didn’t go as low as we hope for. It was good for ride height but not for being on the ground for serving out the window. We need to go lower. Talked about Z notching, but that would mean that we would need to c notch the back axle and that would bring up the floor height. Chris heard of Charley’s Drop Shop that did fabrication on the A arms that would change the geometry of the ball joints to give us a two inch drop and not lock out. We gave Charley a call to see if he had done one ton stuff before and said that he did his own motorhome a few years ago and worked out great. So we decided to give it a shot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. historynw

historynw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting build...I'll keep looking

8. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

What to do with the steering box? The old location put the box outside of the cab. Lucky for us a fellow H.A.M.B. member had used the same exact chassis in his build of his Tourliner. Russ was most helpful in giving us some insight on what we needed to do. We needed to take off the bell crank and just but the steering box in its place. It was the same bolt pattern and angle. The only other part we needed to find was the pitman arm. We are going to use one from a p30 step van. Haven’t tried out the pitman arm yet, but will let you know how things work out.
    [​IMG]
    Old location
    [​IMG]
    Bell crank
    [​IMG]
    New home for the steering box

9. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

[​IMG]
    A arms off to Charley's Drop Shop for the fab work to be done.
    [​IMG]
    A arms back and excited to get them back on!
    [​IMG]
    Used 1.5 spacers to tuck the tire in the wheel wheel. The plan is to machine new hubs to account for the -1.5.
    [​IMG]
    Wow! we didn't think we would get this much drop out of the new A arms. Almost 6 inches with no z notching. This is exactly what we were hoping for.
    [​IMG]
    Here is where we were at with the old A arms

10. benreza

benreza
    from uk

vey good job, welldone,
    im after one of these truck any idea where to look one ???
    :eek::eek::eek::mad:

11. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Very neat project! I will be watching this one . . .

12. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I'm all in!!!

13. sfm1951

sfm1951
    from minnesota

:cool:Subscribed. I would love to do a COE for a ramp truck for our body shop. You know just for the advertising. Yeah right I would drive the hell out of it , and haul everything on it but sailboat fuel. :cool:

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow that seems like some good service from charleys drop shop , project looks like its moving along pretty well

15. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

The week after New Year’s was a Hmmmm week. We needed to come up with a good structural plan to c notch the rear end. We had a couple of ideas that we thought might work, but we were concerned about if they would be strong enough to handle the weight. So we decided to get some help from Dave at One Up Offroad to give us some feedback on our plans. He was very helpful and we decided to scrap our idea and go with Dave's. It was definitely a more structurally better way to go. With our new plan in hand we headed to the shop to make a template for the parts that we were going to have CNC. The parts were going to take a week to make, so we moved on to engine placement. In that process we decided to box in the frame from the cab to the rear axle for better strength. We measured up the parts and made templates for the motor and transmission mounts and sent them to be CNC. We received our parts for the c notch on Thursday and we are back at it.
    [​IMG]
    We need a 5" drop ii back
    [​IMG]
    Parts that will make up the c notch. Made out of T1 steel for a little more strength.
    [​IMG]
    Trail fit on the bench
    [​IMG]
    All the parts to make our c notch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fine tuning the fit
    [​IMG]
    More test fitting. Will start to weld in on Monday.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  16. Nice progress. You might consider a different engine placement. I have a SBC on the stock mounts for a GM 1 ton pickup chassis, and even with my slightly larger 49 Ford COE cab, I have a pretty large engine cover inside the cab. I would look at putting the engine behind the cab, you can squeeze the front of the engine under the back of the cab. A BBC will be even larger than my SBC.

17. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Keep us posted on the build! I think this will be a cool one

18. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

[​IMG]
    C notches all welded in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up is to box in the frame.

19. chopd top

chopd top
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

OK, I'm in. This is going to be sweet!

20. 4444Design

4444Design

interesting project

keep the pics comin'

21. RangeRansom

RangeRansom
    BANNED

22. RatPin

RatPin

Wow subscribed! That looks like it will be very nice. I'd like to come down sometime and see it maybe.

If you need help, "will work for pizza"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  23. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

This is really cool!

24. reallyrotten

reallyrotten

25. Dough Boy

Dough Boy

[​IMG]
    Starting to box in frame for better strength. Blasted the frame and gave a good coat of weldable primer to the inside frame for protection and for good solid welds.
    [​IMG]
    Tack welded the parts in the frame and now ready to start building and placing the new motor mounts and cross member. We decided to design the mounts so that the motor and trany will be able to drop out the bottom of the frame. This will give us more flexibility when building the box on top. Chris laid out the new cross member on his table and pieced the parts together for a prefect fit.
    [​IMG]
    The parts test fitted and ready to be welded.
    [​IMG]
    All welded up and ready to place the new cross member in the fame.
    [​IMG]
    The cross member is temporary tack welded in for fit. It will be bolted too the frame on the side and bottom.
    [​IMG]
    Used the same techniques on the transmission cross member.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Motor and transmission in new resting place and all leveled out.
    [​IMG]

26. Nice job on the engine mounts. Makes me want to redo mine.

27. flatspin49

flatspin49

Am looking for some info on a 42 - 47 Ford Truck steering lock. I was a bit rough with one today and snapped the chrome piece of and have moved it halfway between on and off. Does anyone know where I can buy another one? Ta.

28. IowaMercMan

IowaMercMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. 39Tudor

39Tudor

Very nice work.

30. Nu-B

Nu-B
    from Denver CO

I wish I had the space to build a COE but I dont. so I'll watch your build and just be jealous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.