Register now to get rid of these ads!

New SDRA build for tulsa

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Mr. Mac, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Yep, We been looking at them and also firestone slicks.

2. bobw

bobw

Are the other guys satisfied with the Towel City slicks? Would they be sufficient for a 550hp, 2300 pound Altered?

I am confident you will solve the traction problem and am looking forward to video of some great runs out of the car.

3. old sparks

old sparks

It`s my experience that the firestones are very hard. Maybe I got an old set. The N.W. people all run old defunct hurst recaps or towel city and I`ve seen 11 flat with them. I`m sure if you can built a car like that,you will get it dialed in quickly, good luck

4. old sparks

old sparks

One thing to think about is an ultra loose (for your app.) converter can act like a slipper clutch

5. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Bobw I'm not very satisfied with the T slicks. First the are a recap and far from being flat across the tire. I bet we are only getting about 4inches of tire to the track. We have tried anywhere from 21 lbs to 9 lbs of air and same patch on track 4inches. The guys that started running the Tslicks last year have just now got them worn in where the are flat across but now they are starting to come apart. I would not recommend them for a lite car maybe they they would work on a heavy car

Daniel Clark likes this.
  6. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Thanks for the heads up on the Firestone tires. We are running a 6000 stall converter

7. Old28

Old28

Ever looked into a set of M&H. We had good luck on our 1010 # injected FM dragster.

The only thing I would run re-cap slicks on would be a light dragster. Problem with the re-caps is just what you have said, not square across the face, I had to have a set cut square at a local tire recap place. They had to remove a lot of rubber.

Daniel Clark likes this.
  8. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Our problem is the rules say we have to run a pie crust slick.

9. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

I tried to say all slicks but the group out voted me to pie crusts.

Dad said Mickey Thompson is doing a true pie crust slick, but I can't fund anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. bobw

bobw

I believe Radir slicks are made by Mickey Thompson. Lots of good reports on them elsewhere on the HAMB.

Daniel Clark likes this.
  11. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Here is the problem. dragster slicks 002.JPG

12. bobw

bobw

Yikes! That won't work. You'd be better off with Coker L78's

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Seriously.

14. Old28

Old28

If I had a slick that was at the correct "run" pressure and it looked like that, it would be going back.
    I believe the Pacific Northwest guys use Hurst recaps, they are built on Oregon.

15. old sparks

old sparks

Hurst is no longer in business. That tire looks like crap,I hope you can get some resolution

16. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I think the tire is crap but I can't scream to loud because there is 6 or 7 other guy's here that are getting down the track with them. They will be replaced soon.

17. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Look forward to seeing the new car in person Mr. Mac.
    I had heard the SDRA guys were having problems with tires coming apart.
    Radir says theirs are not a recap.

http://radirwheels.com/slicks.htm

18. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Mr Mac & BobW, I tried running Towel City slicks this year at Great Lakes Dragaway. Having only 2nd & 3rd gear I was worried about bogging on launch. Wow, I also blew the tires off, spun all thru 2nd, turned totally sideways when I hit 3rd!!! My L78 Cokers bite so much better and they are 10 yrs old.
    A guy that runs in my nostalgia dragster group says he had a set of Towel city tires, called the owner there to get information about running them. He said the owner was shocked that people were running them over 100 mph. I need to call Towel City myself and verify this info.
    I want to find slicks to run as my bias plys tear the rubber off the starting line (the power of the Flathead, lol).
    Looking for a narrow tall slick?
    Mac, your build is awesome!!!

19. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Mr Mac, How is that new car running? That is a super build!!! I want to know what tire you end up running.
    I run with a nostalgia dragster group called "America's 1320 Legends". We run at nostalgia events at the strips in my area, fun group. Hope to come down to Tulsa next yr. for some good old SDRA racing, would I be able to run with you guys with Hilborn injection? I actually run right around your 11:50 sec index.
    How are the old farts in the group, Mudflap, Hindman? Don't see anything posted from them anymore. Is Todd Martin still involved at the track? Always had a great time racing Tulsa.

20. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

2b Man it's great to hear from you, The old group is still around they just don't post on here anymore. Todd Martin still is half owner in the track. Come on down I'm sure the guys would let you run with us, It won't pay anything if you win:):) Thanks for letting me know your problems with the slicks I know ours will be going away soon. Bring your self on down in mid Sept and run with us at the Nitro Nats. If you like send me your phone number I'd like to talk to ya.

Daniel Clark likes this.
  21. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

FYI called Radir to order tires and was told I would not be able to get any before Sept 20th:(:(
    Speedway says they are out.

22. bobw

bobw

You SDRA guy don't post much on your Facebook site either. Kinda hard to follow along with the group's exploits.

Bob, can you tell me more about "America's 1320 legends"? Never mind, I found the website.

Some of the Meltdown cars are coming to Rock Falls in Eau Claire in Sept/Oct. I don't know the date. You could get information directly from them. It's gonna be free.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  23. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark

Bobw that's my fault partially on the fb main page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After reading through this thread and all the problems encountered with available traditional looking slicks I know what I would do: Buy a set of state-of-the-art slicks that will work for your application(s) and cut "pie crust" notches in the sides of the treads. It would be simple to make a fixture using a router to put the pie crust indents in.
    Hell, modern motorcycle slicks might work as well as anything, properly "pie cut". Time for a little thinking outside the box, er, rules.

Daniel Clark likes this.
  25. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Yep, I thought of that I even thought of making a stencil and painting it on the tire. Probably wouldn't work cause our competition already watch us real close for bending the rules.:D:D We did order a new set of 10inch tires from Radir that was supposed to be here yesterday but just like everything else we ordered the mail service lost them.

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Too many people & cities in OK, not low density like L.A. & SoCal.
    Must be confusing for the delivery drivers. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Sir, just couldn't resist that one. ;) :D

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  27. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

:)I totally Agree, I think all those confused drivers should be sent to Calif:p:p

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I thought that all the drivers in California had to be confused or they revoked their licenses.

29. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

440 I have driven on Calif highways and I know for a fact the drivers are not confused there Crazy:)

30. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Ok, back to business We got our new Radir slicks mounted and on the car and also new weight bar :( added.
    So back to the track Friday night for more test and tune. Surly the little motor can't spin these big tires.:rolleyes: new slicks for sdra car 002.JPG

Drewfus likes this.