Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Parts Cleaner... what solvent to use???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I just bought a 20 gallon parts cleaner at a pretty good price. Of course the numb skull kid had no idea what kind of solvent to put in it. So, what is the best solvent to use that will not smell up the whole garage, cleans the part with the most ease, and of course is easy on the checkbook? I'm not even sure how much to put in the the thing... guess I should probably read the directions.

2. chopalot

chopalot

I use Mineral spirits .

3. Same here.... ^

4. You went to "Harbor Fright" too, now DIDN'T you:D?!

I just picked up one as well and the recommendation was the same as the above- mineral spirits.

Any idea where to get a large quantity at a good price?

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Around in my area, the local bulk oil supply places have the best price on mineral spirits... and oil too.

6. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

I used a mix of kerosene, gasoline, diesel fuel, carb cleaner. It cleans parts with ease. Of course, its hard on the hands so use some good gloves. It doesn't stink up our shop too bad because the gas is deluded with the kerosene a lot so its not too bad.

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Will mineral spirits evaporate over time?

8. Keep the lid down, mine has been in for a year.....

9. chopalot

chopalot

If you use it enough it will get dirty enough you will want to kill some weeds in the yard with it !!!

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

We use Stoddard solvent

11. I bought a 5 gal pail of "solvent" from my princess auto (Canada). Your harbor freight will probably have the same.

I find it does a good job, doesn't smell up the garage too much. I've been using the same stuff for a couple years now. After cleaning a bunch of dirty parts I set up some paper towels in rows down the bottom of the tub. Then I let the solvent flow through them for a couple hours. Helps filter out a lot of the small dirt and debris.

12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

x2...works great!

13. Reverend_Jack

Reverend_Jack

I used to sell Stoddard, (that'd be why we use it in our shop) It's pretty great stuff but a little hard on the wallet.

14. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Mineral spirits with about a galon or two of water. Dirt settles in the water below, keeping the mineral spriits up top. At least thats what I was told. Its worked fine for a few years now. Its time to refill with spririts though.

15. NITRONOVA

NITRONOVA

Check with "safety clean" .....they service the shops in our area. Talk to the guy that does the service work . I got a 35 gallon drum for $100. The drum has a rubber seal so you can store the extra. As mentioned above keep the lid closed to prevent evaporation. My solvent last about 3 years. It also is low on odor and 135 degree flash point.

16. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

ditto

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Where can I buy mineral spirits in bulk?

18. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I dont want to sound like the safety advocate here, but is the flash point of Mineral Spirits very high? I also bought the Harbor Freight 20 gallon parts cleaner and have not used it, but everything the paperwork says is you should not use a flammable solvent in that unit. What non-flammable cleaner will work with this? I bought a gallon of diluted Degreaser from Rubbermaid or something like that and it takes grease off counters and such, but I have not put it in the machine.

I just don't want to burn myself and my shop down over a $80 piece of junk from China. Thoughts...

19. That sounds terrifying, yet somehow intriguing.

I used parts cleaner solution and kerosene in the past but moved on to super agitene.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  20. GuyW

GuyW

I'm about to buy some water-based non-toxic parts cleaner...

OT, but my 17 yo son is a competitive fencer, and works part time in a fencer's supply store. We've just figured out that he's sensitive to acetone and CA glue he uses in building swords, and it has noticeably degraded his respiratory function and fencing performance.

....hence my search for non-toxic substitutions...

21. GuyW - Graymills Biotene is a great alternative to Agitene and may suit your needs.

22. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

I have the same tank..... I get my solvent from Zep.

Roach

23. How much fluid do you guys put in a 20gal tank? 5gal?

24. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That's what I want to know!!!

25. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Mine is a 30 gallon tank and I always have at least 15 gallons in it. I would say 5 gallons would be enough for it to work. I've found over the years that if I'm doing a lot of parts, say a torn down engine, that I have several coffee cans that i put in misc. bolts and fill the cans with solvent so they can soak. Then I've got the valve covers soaking etc. and I'd think with only 5 gallons a guy might run out if he does this. You could always start with 5, and add another 5 if you do have any problems.
    As long as you remember to keep the lid closed, it doesn't seem to evaporate so you would not be wasting any by having 10 gallons in it. Just my input.....

26. I'm using 13 gallons of Fuel oil / deisel fuel and 3.5 gallons of Gunk super degreaser, 1 gal bottles from Carquest for $18 each in a 20 gal cleaner. It works great. The Gunk SDG however is broken down by water & turns to a white froth for hosing down. So your parts need to be H2O free.

Movin/on

27. chop32

chop32

Depends on what type of partswasher you have. Mine sits on about a 20 gallon drum and has an impeller that drops down inside the drum...about 15" from the bottom, so I need to put in at least 10 gallons or Ill run it dry filling coffee cans, etc... like was stated before. My buddy worked in a shop and told me that they would fill up the first foot or so (staying below the pickup point) with water, so the boss wouldnt have to buy as much solvent, much like putting bricks in your toilet tank to conserve water (the solvent would stay on top of the water). This worked great for them as they would change the solvent every couple of weeks. For me, after a year or so, it rusted out the bottom of the drum and made quite a mess. I went with the bricks this time around!

28. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

You get it local or mail order? Also what do you use? Part number#

I just scored a Zep Dyna Clean parts washer at Turlock swap meet and looking for some real good solvent.

29. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

theres a oil company near me , you carry your own 55 gallon drum and they will fill it...this stuff aint cheep, but buying in bulk is the cheepest way to buy it.

30. We use kerosene and have for years. We keep the lid down and there is very little if any odor. Works great.