Register now to get rid of these ads!

New look what do y'all think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hill_County-rodshop, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Hill_County-rodshop

Hill_County-rodshop

So after having this car since 1984 I thought it was time for a new look starting with the wheels. Some of y'all remember a couple of weeks ago my Torq Thrust endeavors, and even though each avenue came up short in finding matches I've rested on a more traditional "hotrod roots" combination of plain steelies and the Cal Custom cap/2 bar knock offs that keep with an early '60's look. Bear in mind the paint and TrueSpoke wire wheels have been on the car since roughly '74 so I'm thinking it was time. Eventually it'll end up in gloss black. Please look past the bad picture, but what do y'all think? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408311543.445989.jpg

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  2. Nice simple look- like!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Hill_County-rodshop likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. stickerdick

stickerdick

Verey clean and simple, but with some "flair"

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry I do not like it. Gary

6. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

In My Opinion DITCH the Knock Off Spinners, then go with WWW tires. Sorry you did ask. Larry

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Can you post up a full side shot? The thin white walls aren't doing it for me, but maybe it looks good in full view of the car.

8. Alternator kinda ruins it for me...but I'm an a-hole purist.

falcongeorge and Muttley like this.
  9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ahahaha

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do not understand what look that you are going for.

11. Yeah, get rid of the phony knock offs and go with caps
    You asked 4 it

i.rant likes this.
  12. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I want the knock offs 806-3557245

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think a nice set of torque thrusts would be much better to look at.

14. Hard to really tell by the photo.

15. Hill_County-rodshop

Hill_County-rodshop

Basically I was asking yay/nay. Jalopy Joker the look I'm going for is individualism, but more importantly an early to mid-60's look that was popular around central Texas at the time. Individuality is what has and will always keep our hobby rolling. I really don't care about how they do it on the east or west coast. I really feel like 5-spoke mags, chrome smoothie/chrome reverse wheels, and '50 Merc caps (the list goes on) are done WAY too often. Skinny white walls were common place on many a rod in the '60's and '70's, and so they will remain in place. As far as alternators are concerned they came out in the mid-60's and while folks generators are taking a dump on the side of the highway I'll roll on by and wave. Again the yellow paint will not remain as well as a few other things. The wire wheels have been on since the '70's. I simply desire the road less traveled if you will. I get bored with the cookie cutter rods and the notion that to have a traditional car it has to have parts X,Y, and Z installed. Just callin' it the way I see it. Don't see how I'm not going after the "traditional" look. Thanks for y'all's input! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408325932.981832.jpg

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

I am not digging the narrow white walls, the knockoffs are fine with me.

17. Let's see the whole car...

18. I really can't understand why you asked the question in the first place, given your response to what people have said. :confused:

falcongeorge and Muttley like this.
  19. Hill_County-rodshop

Hill_County-rodshop

It's a simple I like or no I don't like it question. Even though I'm new here on the Journal I see too many folks gettin' knocked around for how they build their cars. I wasn't looking for suggestions on what to do. Sorry for the drama. This hobby isn't what it used to be.

20. I vote "nay". I was driving "traditional rods" in the '50's and early '60's. Didn't see that appearance, as being known as "traditional", at least not in my area of the world (OHIO) ...... no "skinny" whitewalls either.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  21. Jibs

Jibs

You asked, it doesn't work for me.

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

IMHO the skinny white wall, black wheel and spinner clash. I feel that when spinners like that were used the hot rodder of the time would try to emulate the expensive racing wheels of the time. So with the spinner, I feel the wheel needs to be painted ardent grey or silver. I think that would improve the look.
    mmm Spinner with a yellow wheel IMHO is not unreasonable on that car.

The more I look at it as I type the more it kind of grows on me but I really think it's the 2014 idea of the early-mid 60s rather than the real thing. Spinners need silver or gray wheels.

For a black wheel, no cap looks OK. 64-66 Ford Galaxie/Fairlane Dog dish caps would look very good with or without trim rings. Simple OE wheels chromed would look good with the spinner or without.
    Maybe it's the fact that it's chrome and sticks out like a sore thumb. It screams mid 90s Street Rodder.
    Generators are actually a better charging system than an alternator. For a simple application they work very well and can actually "fully" charge a battery, something an alternator cannot do. What hurt the Generator is they simply cannot supply the power to all the BS like AC, sound systems, ect. ect.

If you really want to go early to mid 60s Your car needs some minor detail work to un street rodder it. The Yellow paint is really not a problem.

Here is a photo that was posted by a fellow Hamber on here a couple of years ago. It was a local car show in the Midwest circa 1962. It's my all time favorite photo of a period everyday hot rod.
    [​IMG]

There's a lot of things going on there. Note the height of the car, probably on un modified OE suspension. I think the in the weeds thing is a bleed over from Customs and is overdone especially for a early 60s hot rod. Too bad you can't see more of the tire, looks to be a blackwall of tall profile. Note how simple the engine compartment is. Simple black plug wires, no cheap plastic filter, no paint on the chrome valve cover.

If you are really going to the period look, In my opinion your engine compartment needs some simple detailing...since it shows. For starters, black plug wires, subdue that alternator paint it grey or black, use period fuel filters, remove the yellow from the valve covers or at least polish the fins.

Any how that's my opinion.

deadbeat likes this.
  23. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

24. 327Eric

327Eric

if ya want my .02, I'm not a big fan of the knockoffs,although i've seen them before. I'd go with chrome lugnuts, and a chrome dust cover myself. I like the color, and the whitewall. Thats my opinion on the wheels.

25. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I second what Studebaker eric says. Black wheels, chrome lugnuts, with or without a chrome dust cap. The yellow paint and narrow whitewalls are fine.

27. If you want a I like/don't like type answer, don't ask "what do y'all THINK?"

Ask what people think and they'll give their thoughts. That's pretty straight forward.

28. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

The knock offs might look good used with the spoke wheel laying on the floor. It looks like race car stuff and could possibly have need for knock offs to speed up pit stops, which is what they were designed for.

29. loudbang

loudbang

Look good to me. And really like the SHINY new black paint idea. :p

30. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg We have owned this one since 1984 also. Glad you have a keeper.