Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New lathe...now what!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Feb 27, 2015.

1. I bought a 12x36 HF lathe years ago and started with HF tooling. For rough machining it was 'ok', but this is a clear case of you get what you pay for. I just checked, and HF doesn't even show any of this stuff anymore (didn't have much to start with) and only shows two small lathes, zero tooling, so they've apparently abandoned this market. I've gone to 'insert' bits almost exclusively as you don't upset your 'set-up' if you chip a bit and they're a lot easier to change out. But the very first thing I'd buy is a quick-change tool post as it's a huge timesaver.

Tooling isn't cheap; expect to spend about $50 for even the most basic 'starter' supplies. And cutting bits are 'consumables', so they're a continuing expense. Some can be resharpened, but that's a skill in itself and usually requires a dedicated grinder. Machining non-ferrous metals is fairly easy on bits, steels will use them up. Cooling/cutting fluid will extend bit life a lot (particularly on steel).

PM me if you have more questions. I'm entirely self-taught, so I know where you're coming from....

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Cool, looking to get a lathe myself one of these days.
    Always check where you put your chuck key before you turn on the machine!

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a thing wrong with them, considering the machines age and the operators ability to make the corrections, did it on wore out machinery for years as my daily.

jbrittonjr likes this.
  4. LOL I wore a key around my neck on a chain for a week or two when I was a young man because I left it in the 4 jaw and an old machinist found it. :oops::D

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I think it was the late FAB32 who once wrote about a friend being killed by a chuck or chuck key coming off. Safety first always!

6. gatz

gatz

and you remember that like yesterday....one of life's episodes that will stick with you.

I shudder when I see a chuck key in a drill press or Bridgeport, or worst case.....a lathe.
    It's really quite amazing that there's not more mangled fingers and other body parts for all the occasions that present themselves.

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I went on HF earlier and the had some steel tools ( one star ratings!) and two sets of carbide which actually had decent reviews. I figured I could afford to go through a few of those until I futures out what the hell in doing.

8. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I caught a chuck key thrown from a Southbend in the balls one time. I learned.

9. mgermca

mgermca

Nice machine, like others have said, in a year you`ll wonder how you ever got on without one.

Check out the Open Source machine tools multi part video series `Essential Machinìng Skills' on youtube...part 1 here:

Remember to keep yer safety glasses on and your hands away from the chuck when it`s spinning!

10. mgermca

mgermca

Oh yeah, and a good source for hobby quality mail order lathe or mill tooling is Grizzly. They own the rights and have continued to produce South Bend lathes, lots of reasonably priced tooling there...

https://www.grizzly.com/

11. fadt

fadt
    from England

got exactly the same one. Best advise is buy GOOD cutting tools. The variable speed allow you to 'tune' the cutting speed as you go, so you will learn whats good and whats not. great little machine but treat it with respect.
    Did this with mine.

[​IMG]

There is a thread on my steering which shows more parts made on this little gem.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

We mostly did hash pipes but yeah, did the hammer for credit. Same one?

0227151241.jpg

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I would suggest getting a "Machinery's Handbook". Doesn't have to be a new one. Learn how to grind tool bits, speeds and feeds. Then take a class at your local community college if available. Safety first, always wear quality eyeware and never...ever leave the chuck key in the chuck. It should have both hands on it while in the chuck then put away, either on the wall, in the chip tray, or like many of us laying across the ways behind the tailstock.

14. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Really nice present and lots of good advice. Best thing you will learn is "speeds and feeds"! Nothing will help you more than practice, practice & practice. Obviously don't wear jewelry or loose fitting clothes when starting out. Just think about what you are doing same thing you would do around an engine thats running. Have fun (next thing is a mill)

15. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

FadT - I read your thread. Awesome work! Can't even imagine getting close to that skill level. I'll be happy with making hammer heads at this point w/o going to the hospital.

16. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Yes, a mill! A week ago I was all stoked about trying sand casting parts. Now I can cast them and at least make them round!

17. See, I told you this can be addictive..... LOL! And tooling for a mill is even more $$$...

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There are, we just choose to brag about our positive accomplishments.
    That's why I don't own a cel. phone, thankfully this keyboard has large keys.

19. He likely said chuck. the old guys when I was coming up called the key a chuck and the 4 jaw or 3 jaw was a head. I worked in a shop where they left one stick in a wall about 30 feet away from the lathe for a reminder. I asked who did that when I first went to work there and I was just told the guy doesn't work here any more. I never asked if he worked anywhere or not I just didn't want to know.

There are a lot of ways to get hurt in a machine shop really fast. That was why I initially suggested a beginners class. I like the fact that I can take a raw piece of material and turn it into something useful but I like it even better that I still have all my fingers and both eyes.

20. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I work around a lot of equipment that can screw you up and especially electrocute you. I have a lot of respect for machines and what they can do to a human body.

21. One of my all-time heroes is a retired precision machinist I met while building my roadster. He has a small shop in his backyard and only takes in work that he's interested in doing... He latched onto my project and made some truly outstanding pieces..
    My point is , watching him work was an education in the right way to do things.. He never wavered from safe , efficient and accurate workmanship.. He never rushed ,cut safety corners, and it was amazing to watch him work..every visit was an education..
    I could spend the rest f my life and never learn what he had absorbed through his long experience..
    Do yourself a favor ,follow the good advice offered on this forum as far books, schools, etc...
    But also ,keep your eye open for some retired "Old Hand" that will let you hang around and watch ...... let him know you're wanting to learn the right way and I'll bet it'll pay off....
    Stan

jbrittonjr likes this.
  22. Canus

Canus

Your local public library is your friend.

dos zetas likes this.
  23. hah, hash pipe? i should have guessed that was on a west coast curriculum. :D
    your hammer is much nicer, mine has a horrible balance.

24. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Took metal class in High School for 1/2 a year. Learned the VERY BASICS of the lathe. Wouldn't know how to turn one on today! But a lot of safety was stressed!! Lathes at that time were all open and donated from Cincinnati Milacron I believe they were from the 50s but still worked wonders (with a good machinist) of which I wasn't!

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I always make it a practice to never ever leave the key in the chuck, not even while putting material in the chuck. Safety is of the utmost importance and there are no shortcuts when working safely.

turboroadster likes this.
  26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

In the first machine shop class I took in junior high we were taught to never take your hand off a chuck key unless it was in the stored position on the lathe.

I never got a lathe but I took night classes at a local technical school just to use the equipment. Probably 10 of the 30 people in the class were doing the same thing. The instructor rather enjoyed it as we could help the others who had no experience. That was over 20 years ago though. I doubt they even have the old South Bend lathes anymore.

27. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Well, it's home!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425097887.315897.jpg

Got it unloaded when I got home from work. I had to move a ton of stuff to make a hole for it under my shelves. I even had a fluorescent light just leaning against the wall. Hung it from the bottom shelf. Dug through the cabinets. I'm thinking there may be some bits missing but there's lots of stuff that I have no clue about (yet). Found the other gears, still in plastic. Found the tool box.

Now I have another problem. Where the hell am I going to put all this stuff?!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425097985.205669.jpg

squirrel likes this.
  28. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

You lucky dog. Hang out at the salvage stores and buy more casters. You'll be just fine. You can all ways build a shed.

29. stimpy

stimpy

I thought I knew you from somewhere ! we had the same teacher but 50 years apart ! our key was for a 24" swing 4 jaw clausen weighed 10 pounds and we had to wear it in school in every class except Gym .

as for a new lathe owner . oil the ways ( with mobil vactra ) and keep them covered so they do not get knicked or chipped or rusty , and never use it for a table ! and make sure its secured to the floor and squared , for tooling you can buy holders cheap used , and a copy of the machinist handbook is a bible for working with one for speeds and metals .

oh and make a blast sheild ( polycarb sheet) for the flouresent light , you will take one out that close to the work and it will drop all the crap on the lathe

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  30. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I also had to make a square with a file, and I made a three piece set of body hammers that I still have from about 60 yrs ago....
    LW

Yep-- me too, near 40 yrs ago, before that though; they gave us a rough cut block of 1018,
    a T-square and a file, and told us to "machine" this square and smooth.
    First two things I would recommend getting is a pair of safety glasses and a machinery handbook,
    best money you will ever spend.