Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

New For 1961

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

2. uc4me

uc4me
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

61-62 are the best t-birds in my opinion

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Wyoming

Love those T-Birds! I was new in '61 too.

4. Squablow

Squablow

The "big birds" were really the first cars to use the "personal luxury" idea that became all-consuming by the mid 70's. And they were designer cars too, not meant to be exceptionally practical or to blend in.

Not only that, but they predated the Riviera by a good margin, too.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

The mid sixties T-bird had one of the best factory interiors of all time (IMO).

6. AustinThunderbird

AustinThunderbird
    from Austin, TX

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I like them...

just finished
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Ive got a 59 in progress

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Ryan...

My first car was a '58 Thunderbird (White/B &W Interior)...in 1960. It was the cleanest, coolest car in the neighborhood at the time. Pix are in my Album Section. (Two of my buddies at the time who owned a '51 Ford Victoria, and, a '52 Plymouth Belvedere HdTp., literally drooled when they saw the fully-loaded 'Bird the first time.)

When I went to California in 1962 to visit my Aunt who lived in Fontana, she picked me up at the Riverside Airport. She, like me, was a car buff, had bought a '61 Bird (Tan/Beige Interior) brand-new.

After we loaded my bags in the car, she threw me the keys and said: "You're used to driving your 'Bird, let's try-out mine !". She let me use it for the rest of my vacation out there. Bless her heart, she only lived about a year longer...but she was THE B-E-S-T !! (And, after she died, someone stole the 'Bird, and it was never found.)

I also had a '66 Thunderbird (428 Q-Code/Fully Loaded) up until I got the '57 Dodge Coronet D-500 four years ago. But, yes, always a soft-spot for 58's & 61's. And, of course, I do love the 55's.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

9. right now, the one thing the early sixties birds are great at, is affordability. you get a lot of car for the money.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. '65 my favorite. My Grandfather had a cream colored one with black interior. It was the first car I ever saw with power windows, he would let me straddle the center-hump, reach over the console and play with them untill my Grandmother got anoyed.

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

61s always reminded me of rocketships.but then alot of cars of that era were influenced by the rocketships. but as far as t birds go i like the 61s but lordy lordy give me a 55!!!

12. eddie1

eddie1

My wife like the square birds but 61 is my favorite as well. My grandmother's favorite as well. My grandfather bought her a Desert Gold 61 on Christmas Eve 1960 which she drove until it was replaced with a 68 Thunderbird bought on Christmas Eve 1967.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  13. froghawk

froghawk

The prototype for the "personal luxury car." And, of course, the '63 Buick Riviera was GM's answer to success of the 'Bird.

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right. What it's great at is allowing the driver to project a certain luxury sport image. None of the luxury cars of those days really did that (save perhaps the Chrysler 300).

I like the two-seat 'Birds the best, because I always envision them stripped of the luxury and hot rodded into sports cars, but it's undeniable the car found its niche when it added the back seat.

15. I agree with this. Plus, they all had big enough motors to keep it interesting. Perfect car for the young, up and coming professional.

16. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

A '61-'63 T-Bird is on my short list of cars I want to own.

17. belair

belair
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

best of the birds.

18. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

The 61 is my favorite of the later generations. The front is fabulous. But I've always felt the b-pillar was too heavy and the rear lights were too simple. If I ever own a 61, I will probably modify it heavily. A bubble top would look great.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.

Having just got my drivers liesnce in 1955 and liking fords,the T-Bird was a sports car to every one then,even if ford didn't think so............. Anyway that took the down hill turn in 1958,but the body design may of looked good made smaller and a two seater,and same goes for all the way to 1961,guess what,they did sell a back seat cover that made them into a two seater=would of looked super had it only been built as small as 1955 to 57,was a much better design then vet had IMHO.
    Point is,it's a bit hard saying it was this or that,if you were not there then,cus now I see guys saying things that is new BS based on not knowing crap of how it was. Not the same for everyone,ture but many it seems.:cool:

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always been partial to the '64 only because I got this Philco transistor radio in '64 when I was 11.:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I have to agree with Dana. I wasn't around then but it certainly seems like it woulda been sporty in the earlier years. I feel like the '58 and newer cars would've been high style for sure. Not luxury but futuristic and chic.

22. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I like their interiors as well and "almost" bought a couple over the years. I kind of like them and probably wouldn't turn the right one down at the right price. I have to agree with you though in that they really are an in between type car. I know some fellas on here sure have some slick ones!!!

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife wants a T-Bird. She thinks she wants a 11th gen (2002 - 2005) but if we ever get one it will either be a 3rd or 4th gen. What I'd really like is a 61 with a 65 interior.

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

61-63s rule,although I also like the gen4 ,too.Almost bought a box bird about 10 years ago,but the guy suddenly thought it was worth more when I said I would take it.Car was so friggin' ugly ,it was kinda cool.Apparently,he's still trying to sell it.

25. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber
    from Moraga, Ca

You know Ford toyed with making a bubble top version when they were designing the '61 models... Would have been pretty hot in there, but nice lines!!

Attached Files:

26. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber
    from Moraga, Ca

Here's another prototype with a landau type B pillar and a sloping back window:

Attached Files:

27. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

61-63 are my favorites. That 62 Starbird is sweet. Has anyone here ever built one? Certainly one of a kind.

28. hotrod-steve

hotrod-steve
    from canada

Theres somthing about that name-THUNDERBIRD- reminds me of 77Sunset strip,California,convertibles, sunshine-love them all eccept the newer retro they brought out a few years ago. I think they really blew it there. I will never own one,but thats OK. Its better to admire from affar and not spoil the mistique.

29. Jay71

Jay71

T-birds trip me out.