Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New 1940 Willys project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Sep 4, 2012.

1. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

This is a little contraption I've made to open and close the air vent door. I'm using a roller earth magnet to hold the door open and closed. The mechanism is a power window motor. I made it work by installing stops for up and down. I'm using a up and down momentary switch to activate the motor. when the hood is down and the vent is down. when you lift the hood the magnet releases from the door. If the vent is open and you open the hood the magnet will release. This gets rid of the vent handle under the dash. Works just great. :)

Attached Files:

2. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

These are some pic's of the 1940 Willys frame I'm working on. The entire frame has been boxed in with 1/8 plate. Holes were drilled to keep the Willys frame design look. I stitch weld the plate every 3", each weld is approx. 2" long. All welds have been finished down for a smoother look. Some might say that is because my welds are not like the once were.:( But this is the way I like the frame to look after the paint is on.:) Next will be to prime and paint black. The car is going to be a non metallic dark gray.

Attached Files:

3. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I put the body back on the frame after boxing. Every thing line up perfect. The frame is out of the booth. This is the first good coat of primer. I will block and sand this down and prime one more time. Then the black will be applied:) . The first step is to get the frame completely done ready for the body.:eek:

Attached Files:

4. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

On the letf is my 40 Willys horn button ruined by a worker at the chrome shop. They put it in the sand blaster to get the red paint out of the groves. :eek:
    I would like to thank one of our fellow H.A.M.B rs for selling me another horn button. As you can see this one is perfect. And was given personal attention buy the shop owner.:) He was very sorry for the lose of such a rare vintage car part.:eek:

Attached Files:

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can't begin to say how much I like what you've done with the Willys so far! I'm sure the owner is very pleased also!

6. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you 1971BB427. This has been a fun project. I've done quite a few cars. This is one I'm really into. Stay tuned, lots more to come.

7. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I hope my '40 ends up being half as good. I've enjoyed your thread a lot!! keep the brain food coming!
    Fernando

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Excellent build, keep the pictures and discriptions coming.

Frank

9. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you Fernando and Frank. This car deservers to be done right. I'm doing my best. Like I always say." When you are going to New York don't get off in Chicago".;)

10. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Great work on the Willys. Not sure why the horn button cannot be saved, and I also do not like items that have been sand blasted but I have restored/polished Steel, Stainless Steel and even some Aluminum items that have been sand blasted with great results - help me understand why it cannot be restored ????

11. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Well bobby Socks. I never said that it could not be restored. If I wanted to take the time, I'm sure I could restore it. And maybe I will. At this time of the Willys build I have many other parts that need attention. I have done full restorations will parts that others threw away. Thank you for your interest in the Willys project.:)

Now a look at some beautiful chrome work. I'm starting to get parts from my chrome shop. Unlike the 40 Willys horn button, His work is outstanding. Here is some of the parts done. He also does anodizing. The front springs are just beautiful. "I Love Chrome." shown is some stainless I did then heat blued them. All nuts and bolts and washers are polished stainless;)

Attached Files:

12. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I was just asking for clarity when referring to your post and thought that when you said "ruined" that it meant that it was not fixable. Thanks for clarifying

Finished Chrome looks nice and should look nice on that chassis.

13. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

The trunk lid sever damaged near the bottom of the lid. Some one just beat out as much as they could. Then filled the big dent with bondo. They also beat on the inter panel and almost ruined it. There was a real problem getting to the damage with the inter panel in place. Soooo. I cut it out. :eek: Now I could get to the damage and also straiten the inter panel. The originally there was some type of sound deadening on the inside of the lid. I'm using bed liner to replace the original deadening look. The bed liner is tinted the color of the body. The inter panel will be panel bonded back in place.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  14. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Been working on small parts of the Willys. Just got back the gauge panel. The car color will be a dark gray. With black interior. The frame is ready to paint black. Will have photo's coming.:)

Attached Files:

15. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Lauren ,your Willys is coming right along.
    Glad to see the horn button went to the right home!
    Vince

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you again Vince. Just another small important part of the Willys project.:)

17. biscaynes

biscaynes

going to be an outstanding willys when you're done :)

18. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you biscaynes for your post. I love when all the little details come together. Nothing has been spared on this project. What ever it takes to do it right. Like my old saying.
    (Perfection=Time=Money)

19. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Just a last check before the engine goes back to the engine builder for the dyno run:eek: This will be fun:D

Attached Files:

20. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

21. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thanks Stuwillys. Yours two.

22. Looking back at the guy bad mouthing the SBC chevy. Most of the ole time willys gassers ran Olds, Pontiac and SBC with blower and two and four port injection. It was not until the mid 60's they started putting the Hemi engine's in.

23. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

You are right vegasparky. The first Willys I saw in the late 50s early 60s were where powered with a variety of engines. I remember a 1936 Willys Pickup running a flat heat. Then it went with a blown Olds. I'm not sure when it got a Hemi. Slow Pocks Portland Or. Another 36 Willys 4 dr with a injected SBC. I was wild.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't mind the SBC trash talking. Seems to be the cool thing to do to bash a SBC these days. I just smile when I think how little I spend to buy and build one.

25. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

I love taking my 406 sbc and my 421 sbc and stomping bbc and slopars and fords and all at the Dragstrip.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's really a contradiction to still call them SBC when they get over 400c.i.! ;) Bet they do surprise a lot of people!

27. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

Lol 1971 at the end of the day they are still a sbc even over 400 ci. Lolololol

28. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

This is still a SBC. But. It is 433cu in. And will weight in at about 580 lbl. A lot lighter than a Hemi, Olds, BBF, and a BBC. It is power to weight that counts:).

Ps. I know it looks like a Summit engine. I don't give a shit what others think of it.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't care what anyone else thinks either! That engine is badass, and I'd love to have it in my car!

30. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

x2 that thing looks minty