Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need technical specs on classic Mercedes engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Untame, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Untame

Untame

I've got several classic Mercedes for which I need engine specs -- detailed engine specs: 1967 250 SE (2.5), 1969 280 S (2.8), 1971 300 SEL (6.3) and a couple 4.5 liter V8s. I've found basic specs such as bore and stroke, but I need stuff like combustion chamber volume, rod length, and camshaft profiles.

Does anyone have a source for detailed engine blueprint info on classic Mercedes engines?

Thanks!

Untame

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'd like to know, too. My dad has a '75 350SE, and has thought out loud about getting hold of a 4.5 for it. The 3.5 is a lovely revvy engine but would be better in a much lighter car.

3. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The smaller Mercedes V8 is a bit post-HAMB, having first appeared in 1968. The bigger, but much rarer, one is just in the era, 1963. The smaller one represents much the same thinking, however, and the engines have much the same look about them: that is, very German, lots of softly-rounded aluminium castings.

Now, I don't know if anyone actually put a 6.3 in a '29 on Deuce rails in 1964, but I'd bet a lot of people on here would agree with me that that is neither here nor there, but that it would make a very interesting powerplant for that kind of rod.

The sixes, of course, definitely go back into HAMB territory. The mechanically-direct-injected 3-litre wasn't all over the place but guys knew about them, the same as they knew about Jaguars etc.

5. alsancle

alsancle

When you said "Classic Mercedes" I assumed you were talking about something like this:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.