Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need interior ideas / opinions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by okeesignguy, Mar 6, 2016.

1. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

I have owned this car for years, off and on...
    I like to change it up every so often and I just recently changed the wheels and tires from chrome reversed with baby moons and wide, street rod type tires to black wheels with beauty rings and bullet lugs and taller, skinnier tires...
    I am also kinda thinking I might make the pipes black and paint the car a dark gray metallic in the not too distant future...

However right now I am focusing on the interior and by interior I mean the seats and door panels (and the side panels behind the doors)...
    I bought the seats in 06...they are from an 05 Chevy Equinox...so the were in effect, brand new...
    Nice, comfortable seats that fit nicely however the cloth really sucks as the stain if you even look at them..
    I am going to cover them with vinyl or leather etc...I have a friend that is an excellent and experienced interior guy :)

Problem is that I don't know exactly what would look good in this car...

Here are some things that I DO know...
    The tan/beige headliner will remain unchanged as will the black floor carpet and padded dash...
    I will stay with a tan and black theme as it is one of my favorites and it goes with almost anything..
    There will be no other colors involved other than tan and black...period...

I need suggestions and ideas because I am the kind of guy that knows what I like when I see it but I do not have that kind of creative eye to picture it til it is done and I see it...
    One thing I plan on doing is looking at lots of pictures too for a visual aid...

I am thinking of ideas from all black with sewn in diamond pattern as in the 50s traditional look to maybe a two tone tan and black...maybe a suede pane of two in the seats somewhere...??? Tuck and roll..? There are so many possibilities...

Here are some photos...

20160219_172406.jpg 20160219_172432.jpg 20160305_145538.jpg 20160305_145544.jpg 20160305_145552.jpg 20160305_145611.jpg 20160305_145615.jpg

wedjim likes this.
  2. Jibs

Jibs

If it were my car, I would get rid of the head rests first. I think all black would look the best for seats and panels. Nice car.

3. Head rests need to go! I would go for a bench seat (maybe a Glide) something you could get low enough seating for that chop. With the yellow I think you are going to need to go black. JMO Good luck with it!

4. So, if I get the drift right you're looking for a more traditional look. I'll agree that the headrests need to go at a minimum, and a re-shaping of the seat tops would help too. A heavily-padded button-tuft will disguise the seats enough to allow them to pass, a lighter tuft padding on the door panels. I'd re-think the colors too; staying with a tan won't cure the dirt problem (although vinyl will make cleaning easier), I'd look at a reddish brown to match the dash/wheel/widow trim, with maybe a distressed leather pattern. That's still a fairly 'neutral' color (and traditional), so it would work with most exterior colors. Won't show dirt/wear nearly as much as a lighter color will, but will still be light enough to show 'detail' unlike all black and won't be as hot as black.

Anyway, you asked for opinions, that's mine.... LOL.

5. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

I have been rear ended 4 times in my life...twice with no headrests and I can tell you that whiplash is a real thing...the headrests will stay...so will the seat belts...thanx tho! Black is almost always good...thanx for the compliment too :)

CapeCodBob likes this.
  6. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Headrests will stay for the reason I stated and so will the nice comfy seats with lumbar etc...I am 65 yrs old now and need some comfort in my ride ;)
    BTW...my eyes are directly center of those windows with those seats...perfect line of sight all around...
    I'm with you on the black...thanx!

CapeCodBob likes this.
  7. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Thanx man...some good advise there :) But the headrests will stay as I said...

CapeCodBob likes this.
  8. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

I certainly appreciate ALL of your advise for sure :)
    Maybe something got lost in my original post but I am not seeking advise for my choice of seats but more the upholstering of them...color, style etc...

I like the color choice of black and not two tone...great advise so far...
    One thing I failed to mention is that I am considering painting the car at some point...Dark Charcoal Gray Metallic...

I am also wondering about thread pattern...diamond...tuck and roll etc...
    My upholsterer buddy tells me that the diamond pattern seems to be making a comeback and as we all know, it was very popular back in the day...
    I am attaching a few idea pix here...

When I bought the car nine years ago it had a bench seat in it...totally uncomfortable but more importantly, totally unsafe...
    Call me crazy but I like being as safe as possible in what, let's face it, is an unsafe car by nature...

In those four times that I have been rear ended, two of those had no headrests and I can tell you that it a huge difference when someone even bumps you from behind and your head and neck snaps back...no fun...long rehab and you never really get totally well again...cool or not there will be no more headrestless cars for me...ever...period

Add to that that, at 65 I am no longer a young buck and I like to be comfortable...
    As a matter of fact I now believe that comfort is more important than cool LOL
    I am guessing that you guys that think the headrests are uncool would freak out that the car also has ice cold A/C and XM satellite radio! LOL But I like it...especially when it is 105* here in Florida! :)

None the less...thank you all for your input...I appreciate it very much...

608b90e239a18c4252a581661e054808.jpg 1302cct-03-o-+1958-chevrolet-apache+bench-seat.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    BradinNC likes this.
  9. Hell it's your hot rod do it anyway you want......I would go with the black R&P as it never has gone out of style like a lot of the others. May-be just use some off color thread on the seats with-in like a French seam. Main thing to me is KEEP IT SIMPLE as that always turns out better.

okeesignguy likes this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion

If the seats gotta stay, I'd go black with one inch tufted vertical ribs. If you been ass-ended four times, maybe it's time to rethink you taillight arrangement. Even a third B/L, untraditional but safety minded per your priority.

11. Ok, I get the insistence on the headrests for safety. So how about this? 'Back in the day' you would occasionally see headrests installed as a custom touch, but they were rarely attached to the seats in a two-place car. Maybe move the headrest off the seats and onto the rear bulkhead?

12. Davyj

Davyj

I would incorporate the black and tan theme into the seats, do a tan insert on the back and the base while leaving the headrests black to lessen their impact on the interior. For the door panels I would do a roll / pleat tan insert into a smooth black door panel, kick panel, rear panel.............

13. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Great advise...am leaning to diamonds...I like the idea of thread color tho :)

14. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Look guys...lets get over this headrest/rear ended thing...jeepers! It is what it is...when I say it has happened four times...that is four times in my life! I am 65...what happened was 20-30 and/or 40 yrs ago....but it is something that you do not forget...
    Keep in mind that I drive this car every single day...my shop is one mile from my house and I drive it to work...I like to be safe and comfortable in my daily driver...what is the problem with that...?

You know...there is so much focus on my seat (and safety) choice that I am almost sorry I even posted this...jeeze...

Slowmotion...I like your suggestion of the vertical ribs :) thank you...

LongT likes this.
  15. The problem is the seat choice will never look traditional no matter how you upholster it; those seats will always say 'street rod' as they are... Not trying to be harsh, just the facts...

Squablow likes this.
  16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Jeez, for some reason I missed the 'in my life' part.
    Good luck with your rod. Lotta potential there.

17. indyjps

indyjps

Diamonds will look good, your call if keeping the tan or changing to black. I'd think you headliner and sail panels could just be died. The door panels anf lower rear panels will need a refresh, consider a partial diamond pattern. Or set the diamond height even with the lower rear panel and carry it onto the door panel.

Id personally change out the maroon, brown in the dash and steering wheel, just me. If you like it, matching your thread stitching to it would add a nice touch. Diamonds with a root beer thread.

18. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Problem is, in the OP you ask for suggestions and say your "focusing on the interior, and by interior you mean seats and door panels". Then go on to say "Problem is I dont know exactly what would look good in this car"

I think everyone is giving you exactly what you asked for in the first place.

What would look best, exactly, would be no head rests, black diamond tuck. But then again thats just my "suggestion" as you asked in OP.

rpm56, Squablow and okeesignguy like this.
  19. clem

clem

Just a thought,
    Will the vinyl or leather change the comfort of the seat ? ie make it stiffer

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If you're going to paint the car dark grey, I'd go with a darker tan / brown on the interior. I'd prefer tuck and roll to diamonds, but either works.

okeesignguy and CapeCodBob like this.
  21. What ever floats your boat!:D Or in this case Model A:rolleyes: Have fun and enjoy the ride!:) :cool:

22. okeesignguy that is a cool ride as for the interior you might want to hit up a hammer that goes by beachbumjim dam good at the interior game, not just sewing but has a eye for it. good luck with what ever way you go.

okeesignguy likes this.
  23. I like white it goes with every thing. and my head rest are bolted to the top. nice coupe. 20160114_134029.jpg 20160114_134138.jpg

okeesignguy likes this.
  24. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

okeesignguy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Great ideas...I especially like "matching your thread stitching to it would add a nice touch. Diamonds with a root beer thread." Thanx!

26. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

I have talked to him about that telling him that I want "soft" Like glove leather feel...

27. wsdad

wsdad

I like the stitching patterns on these seats.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/interior3-jpg.3155997/

If it were mine, I'd put that seat pattern in it but leave the door panels and the kick panels plain and smooth, with no padding, or very little. I agree with the previous guys who said simple looks good.

I wonder if it would be better to wait until you've painted to change the interior. Going from that light yellow to a dark gray is a drastic difference. I would like a generally darker interior with with the yellow and a generally lighter one with some color in it with the gray. It would be hard for me to come up with something that looks good with both, especially since I'm only imagining the gray and not seeing it.

Paint and interior opinions are like flavors. What's good for one guy may be repulsive to another, so it's hard to say or hear anything relevant. (My wife hates onions on her burgers.)

I hope when you're done, you post the results on this thread so we all get to see what you finally decided on.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    okeesignguy likes this.
  28. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Thanx for your advise man...much appreciated :)

29. In my opinion,,the first thing you should do is repaint..The black showing around the doors is very insightly..If you paint it the grey as mentioned,those door lines would not be noticeable..Then go on to choosing the upholdtering.

30. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

That black is effing rubber weather seal that I have not got around to doing something with yet.....Jeppers effing crow I am sorry I ever asked this question here...

CapeCodBob likes this.