Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need info and wiring help for an old autometer tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by torino_Joe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Hey guys like the title says,I bought an old Autometer 8k tach model 288 it has an x5 on the body and on the plate with all the wiring it has a R-71-rw?
    I'm looking to find out any info on when that model was made or what year the one I have is.
    Got the wiring figured outjust need to know if this is gonna work for my year criteria or not.

Thanx for any info anyone can provide.

Sorry for the crappy pic.Not my tach,but just like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Click your heels together and repeat: goggle is a friend, goggle is a friend......
    Red wire to power

Attached Files:

3. squirrel

squirrel

They used the red black green for years...black is ground, green is to the points (negative side of coil), red is for the light, either to ignition switch or dash light circuit

4. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

The tach didn't have the plug in.I've wired up new style one's like your diagram showed,just not an old one like this and didn't wanna burn this one up:eek: All it had was 3 wires so i figured I'd ask.Thanx man.

5. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Sweet,that's what I figured.Thanx Jim

6. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Ok,now that I got the wiring figured out,I'm interested in figuring out what year this is from. Any help guys????

7. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

8. squirrel

squirrel

70s-90s is my guess. I have no idea how they numbered their stuff...and they started making tachs a long time ago, that are very similar to the newer ones. I got my first one, I think it was a 288 like yours, in 1979.

9. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Ok,thanks for the info Jim.