Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with unknown wheels.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wally, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

I have a set of wheels that look just like Tex Smith's XR6 roadster wheels. The brand on the back says, Wheel Distributors Ontario Calif. I have seached around on the web and asked many people about this company. I want to learn about these wheels and when they were made and where they came from. If you need to see what these wheels look like just click the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/milestones/0302sr_xr6_hot_rod_project_car/index.html

2. I know they were aftermarket wheels that were offered as an optional wheel on Sunbeam Tigers called LAT 70 ( Los Angeles Tiger option 70)

Here's some on a North Carolina Yard art Moggie Minor drophead

Attached Files:

3. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

Thanks, but do you know where there are any for sale?

The wheels I got are (fronts) 15x5.5, with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and (back) 15 x 8 with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I need the small ford bolt pattern if possible. Anyone who has some pics or more info on these wheels let me know. My wheels do look just like the ones Virgil posted but with the different bolt pattern of course.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  4. chubbie

chubbie

:DBIG WALLY!
    these look like aluminum artillery wheels, pollish the rims, powder coat the centers. maybe look good on a old hotrod..........

5. VespaJay

VespaJay

I think those are "HANDS" brand mag wheels. Other than Tex Smith's XR6, I've only seen them in some pics in the Bill Fisher Corvair book. Here's a Corvair with a set, found via Google:

Attached Files:

6. VespaJay

VespaJay

Hey, in the article you posted, Tex Smith mentions the wheels in the story:

" I had a very hard time coming up with some wheels, until someone mentioned that Hands Wheels in Alhambra was making some four-bolt pattern Porsche aluminum's--perfect for my use. "

[​IMG]

7. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

Yep, I saw that too. The wheels I have don't say hands wheels on the back. They say, Wheel Distributors Ontario Calif. Is it the same thing?

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have a buddy with a set of those on a Bug.

9. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

The wheels I have don't say hands wheels on the back. They say, Wheel Distributors Ontario Calif. Is it the same company? or what am I missing?

10. You could contact these guys

http://www.rootes.com/

They are selling repop Tiger LAT 70's. If you could find out who makes them they might be able to drill them for any bolt pattern you want.