Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help selecting single stage paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deerejohnb, Mar 29, 2010.

1. deerejohnb

deerejohnb

I am in need of advice for selecting a good single stage paint for my 1937 IH truck. I bought some Omni MTK single stage and painted a few pieces already. Needless to say it think its pretty low quality paint. It took several coats to cover well and it doesn't color sand very well.

I am looking to get the best single stage for the money. Can anyone recommend a good product. I am not sure what all is out there.

I wanted to keep the sngle stage look because its a vintage truck. However, it is fully restored and I want it to look good. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Other paints I am considering:
    Centari
    Crossfie

2. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

I prefer DuPont ChromaOne Single Stage Acrylic Urethane... More $$$
    Tougher than the hubs of hell and when properly applied has a deep gloss...

Centari is Acrylic Enamel and you can add an isocyanate hardner to increase gloss and durability...

Be careful using any catalyzed paint as it can cause some serious health issues...

I've never used Crossfire, but have heard good things as well...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Centari is decent for the money, the better of the cheaper lines IMO.

I use PPG Concept SS. (DCC) It lays out OK and does color sand well. I've used it on a few jobs and am using it on a current one now. PPG Global SS is also very high quality, but a little more out of your pocket as well.

4. Master of None

Master of None

Go get some DCC concept by PPG. It uses the same hardener as DCU 2021 clear, so if in the future you can sand the single stage and clear over it. In my opinion its just as good ad Dupont and a little cheaper. Plus it color sands and polishes nice.

5. banditomerc

banditomerc

Single stage paints usually smooth out pretty good,without the need for color sanding,just throw a mist coat(10% color-90% reducer) after your last color coat.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My buddy has a real nice single stage paint job on his roadster. It was done with Glasurit 22 paint.

Very nice and durable too.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Big fan of centari with hardener .I think the best paint is chromabase ,I dont know if thats a single stage .I ve always used Centari And Im sticking with it .

8. skullhat

skullhat

chroma base is one of duponts 2 stage systems

skull

9. skullhat

skullhat

the ppg dcc and clv lines are ggod singles to use.

i also get great results with rm uno. most singles will polish out nice with a little mixing clear in the last couple coats.

also the mentioned dupont chroma one is quite durable, and it does lay down nice. it is also harder to spray than the others and tends to pick up more dirt if you are spraying outside a booth. ive got some good jobs completed with it, but would rather use the dcc or uno givin the choice.

all 3 are expensive lines though

skull

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  10. deerejohnb

deerejohnb

What is rm uno

11. Master of None

Master of None

Anything will be better than Omni top coats. Most of the time I don't even bother to reduce it. On curtain solid colors I've had the paint rep put 2x the pigments and half the balancer. even then it still seemed thin.

12. BorgieMan18

BorgieMan18

We use Kirker. It's a fleet paint and it's cheap. Half of my camaro is this and half is PPG base/clear..... can't tell the difference. We get it from Pivco in Evansville IN. Black is about $90 with the hardener, and that makes a full gallon.

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

UNO is a BASF product, use to be Rinish-Mason (RM). I think Uno replaced RM SuperMax & Myrcryl acrylic enamel.

Does anyone know, does UNO spray anything like the old Supermax? Supermax flowed like glass with their #61 Slow reducer, and required little or no coloursanding if you could handel a spraygun well.

" Picture all experts as if they were mamals"

14. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

ppg -clv/ most dcc is not voc compliant, but grab it if you can. the thing is with omni it does not grab edges too well so make sure you seal in the same color you spray cause you will see through the edges no matter how many coats you put on. good luck

15. I use DCC alot......I like to use the du5 (not dcx61) hardener and a little extra reducer, it seems to flow out a little better.

16. I always liked PPG Concept. Make sure you rub it within the window given other wise its like rubbing cement. I had a 12 year old job that looked like the day it was sprayed when I sold it.

17. aircoup

aircoup

centauri been using it for 35 years durabal easy repair time tested an true

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Color sand? Whazzat? :D
    As banditomerc says, and I can attes to. I put on Acrylic enamel. It don't need anything but admirin'..........:cool:

19. deerejohnb

deerejohnb

How does the PPG concept compare to PPG Global single stage or are they one in the same.

20. Master of None

Master of None

PPG concept is a mainline as in good for collision, hot rods, steel doors ect, PPG global is the higher end product that many fleet shops/ semi-repair shops and the like use. It requires less care because it is designed for harsher conditions. Both are great products Global however is quite expensive.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've sprayed both and liked the Global better, but it is a bit pricer and its a whole different line than Deltron, which is what I stock. If not for that I'd go with the Global all the way.

22. I paint Semi trucks for a living. I've sprayed just about everything. I used Sherwin Williams Genisis on my '53. It's S/W's version of old school Imron. It color sands nice, and if you over reduce it by 10%, it lays down real nice. It might be pricey, but it's bullet proof. I wanted to have wet sanded and buffed single stage because I wanted it to look like lacquer, not the modern looking mile-deep thick and wet high dollar cars.

23. I've had a couple of my cars painted with PPG Delstar single stage. Both are super-durable, look great (only one is color-sanded) and don't have that clear-over-color look. I'm not a painter, so I don't know if Delstar is known by another name, but the guys that shot my cars really liked working with Delstar. One of the paint jobs is 12 years old and still shines up like new.

24. skullhat

skullhat

true basf has owned them for quite a while, our stuff stll has the big rm on the lable though, so i still call it rm

as for spraying like supermax, you can get it to lay down about as good, just a little tougher to do as the newer stuff likes to pop if you really start laying it on. id say it sprays more like centari , but you can tell its related to super max. it will definialty rub better than supermax or centari

i do fondly remember super max though, with the 818 extender, or 895 hardner. when i first started in the business, most production completes were supermax, couldnt beat that stuff.

we used to do completes for 125 with that stuff and make money lol. now i bitch about blending a door for that much.

skull

25. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

PPG concept sprays and holds up very well. If it starts to fade just a good buff or even handrub will bring it right back to life

26. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

used PPG Shopline instead of the "Top shelf" stuff..Worked out great....

Attached Files:

27. 59ab

59ab

Another vote for the dupont Centari. It's good stuff.

28. aaggie

aaggie

Ditto on the Dupont Centari with hardner added. It sprays very nice and after a few days you can sand and buff out any defects like dust bunnies or gnats.

29. rusty A

rusty A

Ive said it once and I'll say it agian. I not a painter or body man. I work at a parts store and Im a paint mixer. DCC is not voc complient buy it if you can get cause you can use it as long as you have it but after July I think in ON you cant buy. My anwser to this is PPG industrial line Defleet single stage its a very good product no complants from our customers that use it and most of all the stuff that gets mixed goes on highway tailers. Thanks

30. davis574ord

davis574ord

I have been using centari for 25 years very good product, very durable, user friendly, but why single stage?