Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help! how do you remove oil from fiberglass gelcoat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, Jul 15, 2006.

1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a friend of mine had his boat covered by oil spray while sitting at his boat dock. the oil has been on it probably 3-4 weeks. how can he remove the oil film without damage. the interior seats have it too. thanks

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

A good wash with soap and water should take it off. Or you could go to the paint store and get some wax and grease remover and wipe it down with that. That also may work on the interior or else murphys oil soap.
    Dave

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Grease and wax remover, with the use of a slew of clean shop rags,
    followed by a bath in hot water, using TSP as a soap. Rinse well and
    wax as needed.

Swankey Devils C.C.

4. Another vote for goin' to the paint store for 'grease & wax'.

I don't know shit about painting, but my friend Jon swears by the stuff (and knows what he's doing).

-bill

5. I would opt for the wax and grease remover using plenty of paper towels and changing them frequently.After that go to your local auto parts store that carries Meguiar's marine products(blue containers rather than maroon)and get some Heavy Oxidation Remover.Made specifically for cleaning gel coat on fibreglass.I use it for polishing compound on oxidized paint but don't recommend it unless you go really careful.

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

I had a project a number of years ago with GM wherein a seat manufacturer was soaking the fiberglass portions of the seating in silicone to give it a shine and then the seats were installed at GM which created havoc. All sorts of chemical processes were tried and the process that worked was to use a PPG product called Ditzo DX 440. It is a stronger wax and grease remover and works quite well. PPG also has their normal wax and grease remover which is DX 330. I would try DX 440 on the fiberglass and 330 on the upholstery. My shop and now my home shop is never without either of these products. There may be other good brands but I can vouch for these.-Jim

7. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

That shit is hard to get off because of the porosity of the fiberglass. We used to use Soft Scrub, which is a light Comet cleanser. You need to do the entire boat or it will look like a leopard. Then use a fine compound to bring it out. Whatever product you choose, try it in a spot that's not too noticeable before you do the rest. You may want to get the manufacturer on the line to see what they say. Wouldn't hurt. Another thing that may sound crazy is to use waterless hand cleaner and a toothbrush. It's made to breakdown the oil and grease without being to hard on the subject at hand. If you have a multicolor hull you need to be extra careful because under that colored gelcoat is white so if you go to deep, the white will start showing thru. Good luck.

8. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Dawn Ultra and water and wax and grease remover. Alternate them and plenty of clean rags.

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

thanks guys, i'll let my buddy know

10. builtbyme

builtbyme

acetone...
    Then rewax.