Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help finding 462 MEL numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green Rodz, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I've got a 462 motor out of a 1967 Lincoln in my 64 F-250. I need the motor I.D. numbers and don't know where to look for them.
    Can anyone tell me where to look and what the number sequence should look like?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I found the numbers "C6VE- something something something" behind the oil filter.
    Does that tell me what I need to know, like the year of the motor?

3. That identifies it as a '66. Ford used a 'standard' part number system where the first letter is the decade (in this case, the 60s) with the next character the year. The 'V' identifies the vehicle line (Lincoln in this case) and 'E' means it belongs to the 'engine' group of parts.
    http://www.fordification.com/tech/partnumbers_overview.htm
    Keep in mind that Ford didn't always change the part number every year; if a part was carried over into another year, it may keep the same number. But generally, major parts like engine blocks will have a part number that reflects the year it was used.

4. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Thank you. That helps.

5. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I found them.
    They are right under the oil filter, very small, next to a series of very large letters & numbers.

6. sambo

sambo

How do you like that engine? I got a 58 430 for my 46, pretty stoked. Pretty huge and heavy, but the hp #s are good, 460ish torque, different than the normal.

7. Just bought a 462 engine.
    Thanks for the info on ID.