Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice/opinion

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by old sparks, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Rocky's Eagle Field meets're great, it's as close to Mokan as we have out here yet.

There're always at least five of us there. Should be Joe & the killer streamliner, Jeanna & the Phillips' car, Gary & the Gorilla Trap, Les & the big middie, and me & the Barn Job.
    Flathead Gary might be there with his SDRA altered as well.
    Possibly a couple new ones this time, too.

The meet the Aussies came by, Thingy brought his Chevy as well. They had a blast sorting out his 94s.
    We're all looking forward to his new SDRA build one of these meets.

2. ThingyM

ThingyM

Got a call this morning, My 300" Ford is in the back of the truck, Waiting to be delivered.. OH Crap. What did I get myself into this time....

3. Old28

Old28

Ya Dick, that 300 Ford will be sitting at your shop on Thur, bright and early.;)

What you have got yourself in to is one fine SDRA ride with 10% of what you have in that altered and you can drive this one.:D I'm thinking 11.75 - 12.00 for openers.

See ya on Thursday.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I think it's called FUN! :D

5. Old28

Old28

Dan, just wanted to see were you are on the HAMBster ride????????:confused:

Are you able to send pictures for us to look over yet?:cool:

I have my car almost done (some Rosetta spud welds to redo) and (ThingyM) has his Ford 300 motor apart and will be rebuilding it soon. We lost the car Skip Pipes was converting as it was sold and is in Canada as I write this. Looking forward to seeing all three cars running next season. I still hope to see a few more SDRA cars built after we get our three on the track.

6. old sparks

old sparks

Bear with me , this is atest [​IMG]

7. P-Dog

P-Dog

old sparks,,,,

If you have a really nice neighbor with wireless internet close by you may be able to pirate off their connection.

I pirate off my daughters wireless, she's about 1/4 mile away and the signal bounces off her storage container, no line of sight action here. It takes a good router at these distances but way better than dial up.

I've been to Jamestown, had a friend who lived in Fiddletown and I've been all over the area, I like it.

Good Luck,
    P-Dog........

8. Old28

Old28

Dan, Most of the time when a picture will not come up on this forum it is because the picture size is to big or the picture is not in one of the file extensions listed under "additional options".:eek:

I reduce my pictures with a Microsoft Picture Program for the thumb nail pictures I post from 400-500 KB size my camera shoots to around 100-150 KB size. It works for me, but I am not on dial-up.

Always use the "Post Reply" as the "Quick Reply" will not let you download pictures from your computer, I THINK ??????????

Wish I could help you out more but I am only marginal when it comes to computer stuff & even less when it comes to wireless connections. Good Luck.;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  9. old sparks

old sparks

Sorry,I guess i will ask my daughter in law to do it for me. It just irritates me that i can`t do something that my 14 year old grandson can do with his eyes closed

10. Old28

Old28

Ya Dan, we have all been there, these kids can do it all when it comes to electronics.

As for the question you had for Al on his build thread, pull up You Tube and put in "LUMP PORT" in the search box and there are 5 or 6 video on installing lump ports and removing the head bolt bosses. You end up using a short Allen head bolt to replace the regular head bolt.

They are all real good and very interesting material to view.

11. Old28

Old28

Dan, had not seen any thing posted in last few weeks, are we making some progress?:confused:;)

Just wanted to keep you in the loop. Hope the weather is nicer up your way than down here in the valley. :eek:

12. old sparks

old sparks

Yep, I`m still here. As far as the weather, its been 98 to 102. It`s cooler than your`s but not enough to keep me from whining about it. I haven`t done anything lately.there has been a few stumbling blocks thrown at me lately. I do have a question for you guys out there. I have friend in Tehachapi who is giving me a motor. It is a mercruiser with the casting #`s which say it`s a 230 .The word mercruiser is cast in the block also, I think a 250 rotating assembly will go right in. what are the pro`s & cons of this concept.

13. Old28

Old28

Dan, I have a Mercruser 230 motor also that I am going to have the wall checked so I can bore it out to 4". I may pour fill the block.

All the block and head measurement are the same as a 250, mounts are the same. The only real difference in a 230 & 250 is the crank. 230 has a 3.25 stroke and 250 has a 3.53 stroke. The heads on both have 72-74cc chambers. Cam was different. Both blocks have a standard 3.875 bore.

You can drop a 250 rotating assembly in the 230 block & run the 230 head and you have a basic 250 motor. You can run 307 sbc FT pistons and 0 deck the block to get around 10.0-10.5 CR.

Add mild cam & a 4bl carb and you will have a nice reliable motor to get you started.

14. old sparks

old sparks

Can anyone recomend a source or scources for late model chevy six internal performance parts? al rods, pistons etc.

15. Old28

Old28

Well Dan, here are a few ideas. I am sure other will have more.

Most all the internal parts if a stock rebuild can be had from local parts houses. If you want less expensive pistons for more CR use Chevy 307 SBC, high dollar pistons can be had from JE & Ross. BBC 1.7 roller rockers with screw in studs work great. Both Summit & Jegs have a lot of parts for the 6's. 1.94 & 1.60 SBC stainless vales can be installed in the heads. Most all good machine shops can handle the head modifications. Most all the cam grinders do Hydraulic/solid/roller cams for the 6's ( I like George at Clay Smith Cams as he will take the time to go over your application with you). I am using stock rods that have been shot pin/ sized & have ARP bolts, I think they are good for 250 HP and you can get H-beam aftermarket units with the correct big end size from Summit (they have a warehouse in Reno, I get my stuff in 1-2 days).

PM me if you want to go over any parts.

Might be able to pick up that 230 motor in Tehachapi and meet you in Fresno if that would help you out. PM me. Tom

16. old sparks

old sparks

You will see what`s going on through my pm. If you really want to go to fresno:eek:`, in a couple of weeks, I`ll buy you lunch.

17. old sparks

old sparks

For anyone that might be interested, the kingdon (LODI) reunion drags are slated for sept 7,8&9. Very good event.

18. Old28

Old28

Dan -- Any work on the car as of late?:confused: What about the body, is Dave as slow as always on his glass work.

I have all the work done on the front end and I should have the new brake peddle/master cylinder setup welded in by weeks end. I purchased a new aluminum CNC 3/4" master and have a 5.75 to 1 peddle ratio with the improved mount setup. Should be able to street test brakes by end of the month. Sure hope it handles better than last time.:rolleyes:

19. old sparks

old sparks

not enough going on to brag about. yes, dave is doing his usual. i think i`m going to have a roadster. as soon as i recover from the holiday hit, i`m ordering rods, pistons etc. to at least get the motor done. you sure are doing better than me. am glad your almost ready to test. remember , it`s more fun when you win.

20. Old28

Old28

Hi Dan, hows the car coming? Hope you have been following some SDRA builds on the site, we have two cars from AZ completed and testing, Dick (thingM) is moving on his 300 Ford/C4 change over and may have it done by end year and my baby chevy.:D

I know pictures are hard for your system, but we would really like some update on the build. The PNW Dragsters have 3 or 4 cars in the running or built stages. We could have 8-9 cars out on west coast by years end. I think the SDRA format is working and HA/GR numbers are still going up also. Lot of fun to be had by all.;)

21. old sparks

old sparks

Tom, thanks for the thought. Had a few setbacks so i`m still going at a snails pace. Sis had a stroke and is at my house now so i am unable to put the hours in that i would like. I hope to have the cage done this month so all i have to do is blow it apart , clean everything up, wire it and go play. Gotta keep the glass half full.

22. Old28

Old28

Dan, sorry to hear about sis, hope she is doing OK with your help.

These medical problems do put our for fun racing programs in perspective.
    Do what you can, when you have some time, it helps with the stress. Car will get done when the time is right. Keep use in the loop on progress on both fronts.

I'm back east in MI with the grandkids until July 10. Got to finish the carb & converter modifications when I get home for the Aug ANRA race.

23. old sparks

old sparks

Yep, grandkids are one of the unexpected pleasures of old age. I have a question for all you out there. There has been some talk about converters. In my previous cars all i did was call coan up, tell them what i had and they would send me what i needed. I can`t afford to do that at this time and have no experiance with this combo (292, 176 glide,350 gearset, 26" tire, 1800 lbs.). The motor is not stock. Any one have any experiance?

24. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

I have a 292 and similar gears but a bit lighter. I have a no name 3200 10 inch convertor . I have yet to get it on the track up here but it seems like i wont be able to reach that stall speed against the brake. What rpm do you want to leave at
    I am starting to think for these engines one has to spot the v8 convertor rating 300- 400 rpm to be close . eg 3500 stall will will get you a little over 3000 rpm.

25. bobw

bobw

When I went shopping for a converter for my slant six HA/GRa car I got the same info from some of the top converter builders. Use a 8" or 9" 4,500 stall because of the low horsepower. Trouble was, I didn't want to spend close to $1,000. I had Midwest Converter loosen up a stock converter but have not tried it seriously yet. I do know it wanted to pull against the brake in some driveway tests.

26. Old28

Old28

I sent a PM to (mudflap) to see if we can get some feedback from the guys in TULSA on the converter setup they are using. I have a SBC 10" 4500 in my car and it feels like it is locked when I put it in gear and I can not come up on the converter stall at all or the car will roll the lights. I think the unit is way to tight.

I still think these V8 converters with these low HP motors.:D

27. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

tom sent you a pm 4500 should be plenty loose unless something is wrong with the unit

28. old sparks

old sparks

convertors are black magic to me. I intend to launch at about 2500 to 3000 rpm with a 5500 redline because of the steel rods. I did run a "5000 rpm" convertor behind a 509 and it was quite hard to hold it in the staging beams . I ended up launching from an idle, gave me good 60 foot and lousy reaction times.

29. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

MR. SPARKS remember you are running a street tire stiff side walls ,small patch contact. Iknow you know all that but we relate back to what we were running. something else ,these cars react slowly . You will have to try different launch rpms.You have change your thinking when running these cars I know I did been doing these cars since 05. Good luck on your build L J

30. Old28

Old28

Dan, as some as I get back my converter goes to a race shop in Bakersfield ( owner runs a B/G Nova in ANRA & West Coast series. I talked to him before I left town he is going to open my 4500 unit up, he said it is way to tight for this size motor, will loosen it up and reset stall to 2400-2800. He did say that if the converter is to tight you will have trouble holding the car with foot/hand brake. They are setup for a transbrake and converters built for foot brake racing are different. If we get this worked out we will all be running the same setup.

This was a lot easyer with a BB502 motor.:D

If I had it to do over I would have installed a stock L6 converter the first time and made changes later. I will let all know when I get it changed.;)