Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need a little help with how much to offer for a project car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Heavy Metal, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Man. I hope yo get it, it's SWEET!

2. I agree with most of the reply's,you sound like the the right guy for the car and would be the ideal caretaker of the elderly gents old car,,sure the car is worth much more then the 2 grand you have to offer him but if that's what you have make it a sincere offer...I hope you are able to buy the car. HRP

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Hnstray likes this.
  3. Elbow

Elbow
    from outskirts

Good lord, the interior is worth two grand.
    Anything under $3,500 for that car is a gift.

Just do it.

4. I'm still taking all of this to heart, thanks for the feedback.

I won't try to respond to all of the comments other than saying I am listening. A couple that I do want to respond directly to; I absolutely have no intentions of flipping this car. I do realize it is worth a fair amount. I have been looking for a project for quite sometime, I have not been into old cars since high school, mid 80's. I have had a bunch of project cars, mostly rice burner stuff and a few hard core 4x's. I'm just itching to get back into some early American iron. This car is a great opportunity for me to have something on the road sooner (and cooler) than the other stuff I have looked at. I was so excited about it last night I had a hard time sleeping. I'm looking forward to meeting up with him and bringing this old girl home. With a little luck I can have it on the road next spring and take the old gentleman for a nice ride:cool:

Hnstray likes this.
  5. I would think so too. Locally similar cars go around $5-6k.

6. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

If he'd be willing to take $2000...Go all in. Monthly bucks set aside will finish it off. Doesn't look like it would take a fortune. Don't try to cheap out and lose the car to someone else that sees it now that it's uncovered and not "out of sight, out of mind".

7. gas & guns

gas & guns

Remember word travels fast. The old boy could be at the local diner right now talking about how he had the tarp off the old car for the first time in years, thinking about selling.... This deal may already be over with someone else telling a similar story. If you want it, don't drag your feet!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  8. As nice as that car appears, you could have it running next week, let alone next spring !:) Good luck !

Bubba1955 likes this.
  9. After seeing the photos of the car, if it were me, I would offer him the whole two grand and worry about fixing it later. That car looks worth the money. I would tell him its all I have and that would be your best honest offer.

10. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

This all good advice. Go over there and make a deal before it's too late. Plus, it looks like a weekend and you'd be driving it.

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, HM;

I'm w/the folks that say to offer the 2k. Esp since you can hit it each month w/a bit of cash. I'm amazed at the prices cars bring for most folks. I can't seem to get 5% of value on stuff I own, but my stuff isn't mint either. I still think 2k is a very good-buddy price, esp w/the extras guy mentioned. I'd also ask the owner if he wouldn't mind being involved in the bring-it-back-alive effort, & to what extent. Not all do. I'm thinking you've got a new friend, maybe two. As to the color, I kinda like it, but then I like the Lemon-Lime Stude Speedsters, too. + my OT dd lime saab convert. I don't have superstitions about colors, although I do have preferences. :D . I think I'd repair, not replace, the upholstery, & do touch-up/fade-ins for the paint., 'cause I really don't like the so-called patina-look. A good rub-out /buffing would make the green/wht look really good. That's going to be a nice driver.
    Marcus...

12. 38 Chevy

38 Chevy

Remind him no matter how well it is protected, a car that sits will only slowly get worse.
    More rusty, rubber will dry up, cloth will get brittle and so on.
    Needs to be driven.

13. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

your not at his door? Its day light!

14. Talked with him a little bit ago....I will be meeting up with him tomorrow afternoon after work. I made it clear that I want the car, I'm not too concerned about it going anywhere in the next 24hrs, it is out of public view and I do not think he would entertain a random offer knowing that I want it. None the less, I will have all of my avialible cash in pocket when I pay him a visit tomorrow.

Now the gears have started turning for what I want/need to do to get it running and on the road. Time to do some research on flathead's, modernizing (or just rebuilding?) the brake system, maybe take it to 12v. Anxious to get going.

15. L7

L7

good luck! I've enjoyed your story and hope it all works out for you.

16. I'm not trying to be a buzz kill, and yes the car looks like it could end up very nice when back on the road....

...But I have to question you guys who think that's an easy 3000-5000 dollar car as it sits. The fact of the matter is, it's been sitting for long enough that it's going to cost a bundle to put back on the road safely and correctly.

Most likely it's gonna need a complete brake over haul, a set of tires. Complete fluid changes, probably multiple on some systems to get them "clean". Probably will need some radiator work, a complete tune up, carb rebuild. Fuel pump. New belts and hoses. Electrical fixes from sitting and rotting away.. It's not gonna be some throw a battery in it and drive away type deal.

Has it been sitting on grass for 15 years? There go the floor pans....

And once you do get it out on the road your gonna start noticing all the other little things that need fixing. Steering box Is loose, leaks water when it rains, tons of wind noise because all the window and door seals are shot...

You catch my drift? To me that's a 2k MAX automobile as it sits. Why? Simply there is no way to know what exactly you will need to do to get it running. While your budget says I can't afford to spend more, look at it this way. You buy the car for 2k and over the next 3 years you find yourself spending another 5-15k (depending on what it needs) and many hours of your time working on it.

With a limited budget you are already working with, does it make more sense to sink X amount into a unknown non running car, or to simply save more and buy a already running and driving car for less than you would spend to resurrect this one.

I'm not saying don't buy it, I'd buy it a 2k. just don't spend 3.5-5k...:)

Even though you don't plan on flipping it, with a limited budget you should treat it like you are flipping it. That way "if" life does happen, the worst happens and you have to sell, you won't be losing financially.

This is all coming from a guy who was homeless at 16 with $200 bucks to my name. Take it with a grain of salt.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Thanks for the well wishes. Happy you enjoyed my experience.

I hear where you are coming from and appreciate the reality check. I'm prepared for all of the things I can find from sitting. The car has been sitting on dirt, nothing growing under it. From what I can tell, it is solid underneath. I'm fortunate enough to live in a fairly dry part of the country. I do not have a clue if it runs, I'm going to assume it does not, expect the worst and hope for the best! I should be able throw a few hundred a month at it, once I have it at my house I can dig in an see what needs attention and prioritize accordingly. I can assure you I'm not wearing rose colored glasses and expect to find all sorts of interesting things once I get into this car:cool: But isn't that the fun of owning and building a vintage car? I guess I could save up for a year or two and throw $10-15k at a nice driver, but I want to build a car. And even the more expensive car is going to have issues, maybe things that I do not like, etc.

18. Sounds like you have a pretty realistic outlook. It's nice to see someone actually listen to various perspectives. I too wish you the best.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. I think you've got your head and your heart in the right place.

I do hope you get the car and it's not too crazy of a project. From here it looks good, but in person is another story.

I've just been down this road a few times and been on both sides of the fence on what it takes to get something back on the road. Just want you to be prepared.

always best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

20. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I assume the hood hinges on a 53 are the same as a 52 since they look pretty much identical. My dad had a 52 up until the mid 60's, and I remember you had to be real careful when opening or closing the hood because it doesn't just lift right up. IIRC you have to raise it just a bit and then pull it toward you before raising it on up. Same thing coming down, get to a certain point and you have to push it in a bit before closing. Reason for mentioning this is its easy to kink the corners of the hood where the hinges attach if you don't follow the proper drill. I always remember my dad being somewhat fanatical about not letting any gas station jockey jerk the hood up or slam it down on that car.

21. Normant93

Normant93

Hey Heavy Metal, where's the update man? I want to know if you went to see him today and what happened?

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

talk to the guy have a heart to heart talk if this car really does it for you. fix it up and make sure he is taken for rides as it progresses. get some ideas from him also. he might have something in mind that you can do to it.

23. Yup, the hood hinges are as you described. I was cautioned when I went to close the hood. Is there any "fix" for these or is this just the way it is?

Headed to his place after work tomorrow - he knows I want the car so I do not foresee any issues with it still being there. I will let everybody know how it turns out.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won't dis ya, but the reality is that with new tires, rubber, brake overhaul, general cleaning and whatever else it's hardly a $5K job let alone $15K. If you drop it off somewhere, sure thing. At $65-70/hr time adds up fast, but even then $15K is hosing the client fairly well. But then again, all that done, car is turn key and clean JUST AS IT SITS, I'd be asking $12,500 and would probably get at least $11K. Done and finished cars are from $20K and up, a few marked sold in that price range. . Unless it's a "Flintstone car" with no floors $2k is a steal.

25. 327Eric

327Eric

Wd40 everything asap, especially those Hinge's. By the time you get to it, be it a carburetor or door lock, it will have had time to soak in.

26. willing to bet just $2000 will piss him off.....it's a Hardtop....and looks well...an easy $3500 up car....

27. Clevername

Clevername

Here is my two cents:
    I paid 8k for a slightly rusted 60 Impala, but I could hear the engine run when I bought it, and it had serviceable tires. I don't really know about the prices for this model, but the 5k figure seems good as it sits. There are a lot of unknowns. It will probably take 1k to get it drivable -assuming there are no major mechanical issues. (tires, battery, fluids, carb rebuild, gas tank, brakes and fuel lines). If the block is cracked because it froze, then it is a major bummer. Offer the 2k, if he is offended, maybe you can work a monthly pay deal up to 'whatever' number. The other option is to get a loan from a credit union, that you can pay monthly on.

If he doesn't like the 2k deal, then you really need to inspect closely and figure out some costs, and get some more advice from some of the more knowledgeable folks on the HAMB.

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

Not to play devils advocate hear. Lets assume he knows the car is worth 5-6K. And has expressed that he is willing to sell it at a deal to the right guy, and it could be you.
    He very well may be willing to sell it to you cheap, like 3500-4000. I would be very up front with the cash you have, be thankful for him sharing the car with you and let him know that you would give all you have (the full 2K). Express the hardship it would be to pay more and that the additional money you will save will go to the car as planned. AND, hope to hell he takes the offer.

I guess, his giving a great deal could be 4000 or 1500. If your coworker had known your budget and let the dad know that and the conversation went along with that being known, I think you might get away with the 1500 offer.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I bought a '54 Chevy to make a little money on, I paid up for it but there was 500-1000 left. I put it up for sale and I guy wanted it but wanted to trade me a car worth two to three times the chevy. I was up front and said there was no way I could to it, he said come and look at the car and tell me what you can do. I did, offered what I could do and he said cool, done deal. He knew I wouldn't keep the car long, as I really could't afford it but he liked me and has since become a friend who I have dealt with on other deals.

Bottom line is be honest with him with where you are at....and keep your fingers crossed.

29. DO THE MATH.

When you really add up all the stuff you just listed it's is in the 3-4k range... just in parts.

4 coker tires? 800 bucks, Might as well powder coat the rims while your at it. another $200..

then lets say you replace everything in the brakes with high quality parts. You're probably at 800-1000 bucks by the time that is all done, Drums, wheel bearings, seals, wheel cylinders, hoses, Shoes, hardware kit. etc. etc. It all adds up...

I don't know about the late model stuff, but 40-48 drums are $125 each and wheel cylinders are $50 each.....

....Then we start looking at fluids. Trans fluid, oil change, diff fluid, power steering coolant, What about the hoses and belts and tune up stuff probably spend $500 easy there on the stuff I just listed if you're sing high quality parts....

Then what about the carb? maybe you need to pay someone to rebuild it as you aren't comfortable rebushing the throttle plate shafts yourself. that's anywhere from 200-400 bucks depending on rebuilders reputation. Oh, the gas tank needs to be boiled out? another $100 bucks. Bad fuel pump. $80 bucks. Probably should put a fuel sender in it. Another $100 bucks

So right now we're rounding up on 3k....

Oh, radiator needs to be recored, and new water pumps.... another 600 bucks down the drain.

Shit! I forgot about a battery! $100 bucks gone....

...Also you're assuming the engine works and the trans is good. Let alone the suspension doesn't need work. That's where a potential 15K number comes in....I definitely wouldn't charge 15k for the basic stuff we went over above. but if we start getting in to engine builds and other stuff we can get close real quick....

I don't know the market on this particular car but "a few marked sold" doesn't exactly mean they are flying off the shelves at that price. and I would have to say 12,500 AS IT SITS to me is hosing the client.... Sorry but I actually price stuff to sell.

looks like a realistic $8000-10,000 dollar car to me running and driving.

30. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Funny how a guy's mind works isn't it. When I saw the photo of that interior, I could smell the old slightly musty, sun baked interior of the 52 Customline I bought in 72. I got it upholstered within 6 months and the old smell was replaced by the new Naugahyde smell, but my nose filled up with the original smell right away as soon as I saw that picture. Thanks man.

Bubba1955 likes this.